PDA

View Full Version : Seagate Momentus XT and Pro Tools

kevinrudolf
07-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Just a heads up for anyone considering the Seagate Momentus XT line of hard drives for use with Pro Tools...they suck!

Seems like a good idea on paper (hybrid drive, flash storage + rotational hard drive), but it's horrible as an audio drive. I'm running Pro Tools and OS X off an Intel X-25 80GB SSD which is great, and recording to the Momentus XT. The drive constantly spins down and switches to it's flash storage. Every time this happens, I get a DAE error and my recording/playback drops out.

The drive might be good as a system drive, but DO NOT use this drive as your audio disk! Returning mine for a regular 7200 RPM drive tomorrow.

RossH
07-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Interesting...I have one of those as a system drive, but hadn't tried it for audio. Good to know!

kevinrudolf
08-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Yes, I get DAE 9073 errors every few minutes. No good!

kevinrudolf
08-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Replaced my Momentus XT drive with a regular Seagate Momentus 7200 RPM drive and it fixed my DAE 9073 problem. Just following up in case anyone else is considering the Momentus XT line of drives. Do not use as your audio disk!

Vijay-Kumar Solanki
09-24-2010, 01:15 PM
I just saw these drives, and wondered how they might be for a system drive. Have you noticed any increases or plusses using an SSD for your system drive?

Turbojugend
10-08-2010, 03:48 PM
It doesn't make sense to use this drive as a recording drive with Pro Tools, hell I don't even use a 7200 RPM drive (I have a 5400 in an external firewire case) and I have done about 20 tracks with plugs and never had an issue.

Now running your system off the Seagate and using Pro Tools is supposed to be great, I am going to pick one up and try it out.

Terry Dycus
10-19-2010, 09:28 AM
I have an XT and have had no problems with my drive. Perhaps, contact Seagate and see if they will swap the drive?

Turbojugend
10-22-2010, 11:10 AM
I have an XT and have had no problems with my drive. Perhaps, contact Seagate and see if they will swap the drive?

Are you using it as your host drive or a drive you are recording to?

RonB456
12-07-2010, 11:16 AM
It doesn't make sense to use this drive as a recording drive with Pro Tools, hell I don't even use a 7200 RPM drive (I have a 5400 in an external firewire case) and I have done about 20 tracks with plugs and never had an issue.

Now running your system off the Seagate and using Pro Tools is supposed to be great, I am going to pick one up and try it out.

Well did you get the drive? Is it a good drive? I was thinking about doing the same, but definitely not using as a recording drive.

MacBook (Intel Core2Duo 2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM)
OS X (snow leopard)
Digi 003 Factory and MBox 2 Pro
Pro Tools 9
www.N-ENT.com

Rail Jon Rogut
12-08-2010, 12:00 AM
The drive constantly spins down and switches to it's flash storage.

I wouldn't recommend SSD for an audio drive.. but if your XT is spinning down you probably need to update the firmware.

Rail