PDA

View Full Version : Mackie Onyx-i 1640 & PTMP

tcbetka
07-27-2010, 05:52 AM
I am thinking about moving from a 1640 Onyx board, to the new Onyx-i 1640, in order to be able to run Pro-Tools. I know I'll have to use PTMP, and I believe I'll need version 8. But I am not sure *which* version 8 is the minimum that I can use.

The reason I ask is because I have a G5 PowerMac, not an Intel machine. It looks as though PTMP 8.0.3 and above requires the Intel macs (according to what I've found on the Digi website), but Mackie's site basically says my G5 machine will work with the Onyx-i board, as long as it will run the PTMP software. So then the question seems to be whether or not there is a version 8.0.1 or 8.0.2 that will allow me to use the Onyx-i board, and run it with the G5?

I am running Leopard 10.5.8 with 8GB of ram, by the way. So the only issue I can see is whether or not there is a version of PTMP 8 that can be run on a G5? If not, then I can run this on my Intel-based Macbook Pro, but it would be better (for me) to be able to have a machine that remains in the studio, without having to set-up and tear-down the MBP each time I want to use PT.

Thanks in advance!

TB

tcbetka
07-28-2010, 06:25 AM
Not to answer my own question, but I have learned some more information...

I talked to the Mackie folks, and they have indeed tested their Onyx-i board with a 2.3 GHz G5 machine. They couldn't tell me which version of PTMP they used though--but it couldn't have been 8.0.3 or 8.0.4, as those are only supposed to work with the Intel chip.

So it appears that this can be done, which is good news. I can always run the latest version of PTMP on my Intel-based Macbook Pro, but this is not always in the studio, and the G5 is. Now I just have to find out if there were significant bug fixes *after* 8.0.2 that might make it inadvisable to run the first two versions of PTMP v8.

TB