PDA

View Full Version : 8.0.4 Installer Hanging, Need Help!

kevinrudolf
07-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Has anyone else had this issue? I found one other person here in the LE forums:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?p=1636883

Basically, I open the DMG file to install the 8.0.4 update and I get as far as:

Preparing Pro Tools LE 8.0.4
Running Application Files Installer Script

Then it just hangs forever. The installer isn't frozen, it's still running, it just hangs and won't progress. Left it for a few hours, still stuck on the same spot. It's the same exact problem that the LE user I linked above had, but I tried his suggestion of deleting the icon from the dock to no avail.

Is there an alternate installer I can use? I'm running 10.6.3 on a brand new Core i5 MacBook Pro. Digi Tech Support, are you out there?

kevinrudolf
07-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Anyone? Digi Support? Seems pretty silly for this update to not install on a brand new 10.6.3 MacBook Pro...

DTheone
07-23-2010, 06:54 AM
It's all over this forum in a sticky and a few threads below the one you made; The DUC tends not to answer when one doesn't make an effort to search but will make the effort and say hey, where is everybody? How come no one is answering?

Anyway,

First go to www.ilok.com and download the latest ilok support software.

From Avid's support page:

If you have purchased a new computer with Snow Leopard and have not yet installed Pro Tools 8 (or have uninstalled Pro Tools 8), you will need to install Pro Tools 8.0.3 before installing Pro Tools 8.0.4. See the installation instructions on the Pro Tools Mpowered 8.0.3 Update page.

On Protools 8.03 update page it states:

If you have purchased a new computer with Snow Leopard or have uninstalled Pro Tools 8, you can still install Pro Tools 8.0.3 with this updater but it will require the use of your previously purchased Pro Tools 8 DVD.

If you have purchased a new computer with Snow Leopard or have uninstalled your previous version of Pro Tools 8, please take the following steps:

1. Download the Pro Tools 8.0.3 Updater from this page.
2. Insert your previously purchased Pro Tools 8 disc into the DVD drive.
3. Launch the Pro Tools 8.0.3 Updater and follow the onscreen instructions.

Installation Note: Some users may encounter an error dialog while running the Pro Tools 8.0.3 Mac Web Updater with a Pro Tools DVD on a clean Mac OS system. This dialog states that the "PACESuppport.kext was installed improperly and cannot be used.” This dialog can be safely dismissed, and you should not encounter any problem after rebooting.

Please Note: If you received Pro Tools 8.0 as a web download, a downloadable version of the full Pro Tools 8.0.3 web installer will be placed in the same account where your Pro Tools 8.0 installers* are available:

Pt 8.03 install files: http://secure.digidesign.com/service...&localeCode=en

kevinrudolf
07-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Correct, sorry, I should have been more specific. I have been running 8.0.3 for several weeks on the machine. So I am trying to update 8.0.3 to 8.0.4 now and am encountering this problem...

I searched the forums for awhile and this seems to be a unique problem, except for the one other poster I linked to above that was having this problem with PT LE.

So to recap, I have 8.0.3 installed, have downloaded the 8.0.4 update numerous times, and every time the installer hangs at the same place.

Sooo, what do I do?

kevinrudolf
07-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Still haven't figured it out...any ideas are appreciated

thall13
01-21-2011, 10:59 PM
I am having the exact same problem. MBP/i7, 10.6.6.

thall13
02-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Does anybody know the answer to this problem? I have installed the current iLok software, and 8.0.3. is up and running ok, but 8.0.4. installer just hangs on the "preparing installer scripts" dialog. Tried it again last night. Stayed that way til morning. I have perused the DUC, one LE user said he had the same problem and Avid support sent him a different installer link. Other than that, I see no other info posted besides this thread.

thall13
02-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Kevin, I would like to know if you got past this problem and if so, how.

kevinrudolf
02-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Still haven't gotten past this problem. It is absolutely ridiculous. I tried on 10.6.3 many times, finally I updated to 10.6.6, still no luck.

I also downloaded the 8.0.3cs2 update, which installed fine, no problems. But even after that, the 8.0.4 update won't install. Same thing. The installer hangs right at: Running Application Files Installer Script

Forever. You know what's awesome? Today is February 12th, 2011. I posted this issue on July 20th, 2010. No help from Digi/Avid. Clearly they care about their customer base, since this is the only way to contact them.

I would love to know what installer that LE user was sent. What else can be done? This company is terrrrrrrible.

Anyone? Digi/Avid? Please? 7 months is a long time to wait for help...

kevinrudolf
02-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Hey all, I've had an ongoing issue for about 7 months. Basically the 8.0.4 installer on the Pro Tools site does not work for me. I've tried a million different ways. You can read about my struggle here:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=278352

I'm running 8.0.3 cs2 at the moment, but since upgrading to 10.6.7 PT has started crashing. I know 8.0.3 isn't compatible with 10.6.7, but I can't update to 8.0.4! The installer just hangs forever. Hoping to get ahold of a human. Other people have had issues I know, and one guy in the LE forum said he contacted Avid and they sent him an alternate installer. I'm really beside myself at this point, any help in contacting the proper authorities to be able to update to 8.0.4 would be great. Thanks in advance

AvidCS
02-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Sorry to hear that both of you are still having trouble. Please understand that this is a User Forum, and that for assisted support you should contact Avid CS directly:
http://www.avid.com/contact/audio

Considering how long this has gone on, we did check and there are no products registered to the DUC emails for kevinrudolf or thall13. The lack of registration prevents us from sending out software. If you have registered your products under a different address, please update your DUC email address to reflect that and we'll try to help.

kevinrudolf
02-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks for your reply. I had not registered, because when I initially installed PT 8, the registration application kept launching constantly and your documentation says to delete the file. So that's what I did. I just registered now via the registration website. Please check my e-mail again. I would really appreciate the help. This experience has been extremely frustrating.

kevinrudolf
03-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Hey all, it took 8 months to solve the issue, but I FINALLY got a hold of tech support (had to get one of those ASC codes) and they told me what to do. The first time I contacted tech support via web with my ASC code I got no response. So I followed up 10 days later, and the tech support guy told me they hadn't received a help request from me, ever. Frustrating. From the amount of views on my initial post, it looks like many of you have had similar issues with Digi/Avid installers.

Perhaps the MOST irritating part of the entire experience was that the tech support people knew EXACTLY what was wrong, and had very specific instructions on how to fix it. I'm sorry, but if your installer doesn't work and you know it, a solution should be public knowledge, not something the customer has to PAY tech support for by purchasing an ASC code. I was fortunate, as I hadn't registered my software yet, so I received a "free" ASC code by registering. How generous! Anyways, I didn't need a different installer for the update or anything, I needed to create a new user account on my Mac and install the software from that. Of course! Who hasn't had to do that before to install a software update? Just kidding. I'm not sure who codes their installers, but I think that individual should begin exploring other career options.

Below I've copied and pasted instructions from tech support on how to deal with this issue. I would hope none of the moderators delete it for sharing, as it SHOULD BE PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE, and should be listed somewhere on their site. When people pay for your software, it's the company's responsibility to support it. Especially when a program such as Pro Tools is cracked and available on various sites for pirating. I didn't do that, and I hope you don't, but when a company makes getting help as difficult as Avid did for me, it makes one unlikely to support them in the future. Users who pay for their software should be rewarded and supported, not ignored.

Anyways, that's the end of my rant. Here's the reply from tech support. Creation of a new user account worked for me, hopefully it helps you guys as well:

Entered By : Digidesign-Avid Customer Success
Entered on : 3/8/2011 2:01 PM
Hi,

This is the first request that we have received from you here in tech support. Our normal turnaround time for online support ti one business day. Usually when one of our isntallers/uninstallers won't run it is related to the user account, FileVault, or an issue with an install disk.

This would be the best way to insure that you have none of these issues.

Create a new user account with admin privileges:

Open System Preferences from the Apple Menu
Open Accounts
Unlock the lock
Click the plus sign above the lock
Change account type over to 'Administrator'
Name the account 'Pro Tools' (can be anything)
Click create account
Close System Preferences
Choose 'Log Out' from the Apple Menu

Make sure FileVault is off:

FileVault

FileVault is an Apple utility to help protect your files. When FileVault is turned "ON" this can conflict with Pro Tools and the installation of Pro Tools. Make sure FileVault is disabled following these steps:

-Open System Prefs >Security
-In this window look where is says: FileVault protection is (on/off) for this account
-If FileVault is on click the button to turn off FileVault

Remove Pro Tools:

Go to Applications/Digidesign/Pro Tools/Pro Tools Utilities and double-click the “Uninstall ProTools” file.

Click Continue to proceed with the uninstall.

Choose the clean uninstall option.

Still logged in as this new user install Pro Tools 8.0.3. You should use the 8.0.3 installer in the Digidelivery at the bottom of this response. This will rule out any issues with your DVD.

Still logged in as this new user install 8.0.4, you can get it here:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=365007

And the 8.0.4cs2 update. You can always find the latest CS release for your version of Pro Tools posted here:

http://www.digidesign.com/support/csupdates

Make the optimizations listed here:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=349739

Try Pro Tools as this new user. If you have success in the new account you can try logging in as the original user to see if this account works as well. I it does not you should migrate to the new user account.

For support on Pro Tools and other Avid products, please refer to the contact info at http://www.avid.com/support/support-contact

Best regards,
Avid/Digidesign Technical Support

thall13
03-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Kevin, problem solved (for me at least). I broke down and purchased a support ticket, called Avid and here is how the situation was resolved:
I ran a clean uninstall of PT, along with repairing Disk Permissions.
Then created a new user account named "protools" and downloaded the 8.0.3 installer.
After installing, I downloaded the 8.0.4 updater-it installed without a hitch.
The only problem I experienced was being unable to save changes to my session (a big one) but thankfully this was before doing much work - a midi drum and bass pattern. So after closing and losing my changes, I logged back into my original account and went into session backups and got my work back.
I should mention that I run my PT set up on an external system disc, with all my preferences optimized for PT. This is separate from my external audio drive. This may be what was causing the "permission" or "access" problem to begin with. I'm not sure. All I can tell you is now I am running 8.0.4 with no problems at all. It was worth paying for the ASC, if you ask me. Hope this helps.
UPDATE:
I just read your support experience, and noticed the date was 3/23/11. That would be the day after I called, and mentioned this post on the DUC. It's likely the support rep I talked to came here to post this solution after helping me. Anyways, hope your problem is solved!

thall13
04-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Actually, I dropped my old earthlink email account which I originally registered @ digi with, and the prefix was thall13. But that's not the duc, so my bad? But the user name should have been on record from before? And coincidentally, avid cs couldn't find my new address, which my master account is set up under.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk