PDA

View Full Version : How can I achieve the optimum setup with the equipment I have?

antward
07-05-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm running:

Macbook Pro Unibody 2.93ghz
M-Audio Firewire 1814
Protools M-powered 7.1.1
Reason 4
Allen&Heath ZED12fx
RME ADI-2 Converter
Tascam Monitors

I currently have

Desk xlr Outputs > RME Conerter xlr inputs
RME optical output > 1814 optical input
1814 > MacbookPro >1814
1814 optical output > RME optical input
RME Converter xlr outputs > Monitors

I have my I/O configured to spdif

The signal path works, and I can record through the desk, but how can I setup proper monitoring?

I have no control over the playback volume (only the master fader in PT)

Should I be sending my RME outputs back into the desk? If so which connection? Isn't it better to use the xlr connections? (RME has both)
So should I just send it back on two of the channels?

Anyway as you can tell I'm a tad confused about the best way to work with my signal!

I have just re-wired things a little,

I'm now taking the insert sends of channels 1 and 2 to the inputs of the RME (instead of the main desk outs)
The rme outs are now going into my stereo returns and the output of the desk is going to the monitors.

Is this a better way to work?
I now have control over the playback volume.

My main problem now is that I can't hear my record signal at the same time as the playback... I have the channel in PT record enabled, and the signal is there, but it disappears when I press play...
I am monitoring from the headphones out of the RME converter...
I cannot monitor anything from the 1814 because the signal is spdif...

How do I sort this out?

tribedescribe
07-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Hi I just bought a adi-2 to replace a ensemble I sold. The optimal set is to go adat to the 1814. Set your 1814 software to external adat sync. The rme will be your master clock(44.1). You will need two optical cables for the adat in and out. This will allow you to input (A.D.) through the rme to the 1814 and playback (D.A.) through the rme. spdif is to slow (latency) for this application. When you go into pro tools you just slide your 1,2 output to channels 5/6 (adat, it defaults to 1,2 on the 1814)
The Rme will sound tons better than the 1814 for this application.

later,

Scott