PDA

View Full Version : Is it true that M-powered DOES / DOES NOT work with profire 2626 in Boot Camp?

herojig
07-04-2010, 12:43 AM
HI all, we use iMacs for editing editing in our studio, and while Pro Tools LE, HD, and M-powered all work great under OSX, one of my audio engineers insists he needs to use Pro Tools M-powered under x386 occasionally (special pc plugs in a few projects).

SO I just spent 3 days trying to get M-powered to run under boot camp in both XP and Vista. It was like banging my head on a brick wall. I think the problem boils down to the firewire chip inside the imacs, and the driver support for that in M-powered using a profire 2626. no matter what I do I get a -6006 error on pro tools open. I'm frustrated to all get out, but will give up if it's really impossible:)

For years we ran LE under boot camp using a digi rack 002, but that finally died and was replaced by the profire rig.

Any ideas? I've tried all flavors of windows, and all flavors of M-Powered version 7 and 8. Our Avid rep is no help, as their stock answer is that they don't support Boot camp. Arg.
thx,
jigs

Note, the hardware seems to be connected grandly to the windows subsystem, ie. no errors in device manager and the 2626 mixer panel works fine.

gjohung
07-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Wow...

I have a PC and Mac set up using. PFLE. I never had issue... I take that back..I had to swap a FW card on my PC to a Non-Generic Chip.

My curiouslty.. is that will Mac Boot Camped PC wll run,, other apps.. such as Cakewalk, Cubase etc.. is this PTMP issue or PF2626 issue..

umm..

herojig
07-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Yes, the issue is the firewire chip inside the imacs. After just a small headache years ago, we were able to configure protools LE with digirack 002s, but the plan is to replace them with profire 2626s. The first one we got is the one I am working on now... but I just got a tip to try fully updated SP3 and bootcamp updated to 3.1...making that image now to see it will resolve...i have my fingers crossed! Not tried, but I suspect Cubase would work (we don't have Cakewalk) as the OS itself sees the 2626 just fine. It appears to be an M-powered problem, my guess. But I'll give that a shot if the updated SP3 and Bootcamp drivers don't fix it...going on day 4 now:) thx for the tips!
jigs
ps. I just keep telling the engineers to can PT and go with Logic, but they just laugh at me and call me a stupid apple fanboi.

gjohung
07-04-2010, 07:25 AM
I did a search on this issue and looks like it is Boot Camp Firewire issue. Non-Musicians/Audio Engineers have problem simply accessing FW Drives under Boot Camped Mac.

I suggest having a separate PC set up - Make a clone for under $1000. All my projects are cross platform. I too have more plug ins on PC...for reasons that I can't go in details..

Mainly I use my MBP as mobile recording and do all the post-production and mix down on PC. In runs flawlessly.

herojig
07-04-2010, 07:37 AM
@ gjohung ha! well, we have invested too much in macs to go back now. We have never had any problems with firewire connections except with digi/avid hardware (and we have a boatload of various drives and cameras). But ur right, getting new PCs or dedicating Mac Pros with certified firewire PCI cards would fix things, but also bankrupt us too. The iMacs work great on the mac side for audio recording and editing...all the engineers agree. But they are also ex-PC people who have custom plugs and whatnot that need to run in x386 now and then. Another thought I had was to just fire those PC guys, but as this is a purely family-operated biz (brothers/sisters/uncles/cousins), that would not go down well:)
jigs

herojig
07-06-2010, 02:23 AM
Another day lost on this. 6006 error hang on creating DAE objects, although it sometimes appear to complete that phase, then hang with the error.

I have researched this to death, as there are dozens upon dozens of this error reported here, most all with no resolution or a recommend fix that works in bootcamp...about to give up...

Dism
07-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Might I inquire as to which plugins are so specific that they cannot be used under OSX or cannot be substituted?

My coworker was the same way with his older plugins for a good couple of years... but he found some new plugs and has since forgot about his PT 5.x/Digi 001 setup. :D

herojig
07-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Hi there, thx for ur help! Here's the list the engineer gave to me (well, he's my brother-in-law as well):

1. Waves plug-in bundles
2. SSL 4000 Collection

3. Sony/Sonnox:
• Inflator
• Oxford Limiter
• Oxford Reverb
• Transient Modulator
• OXF-R3 Dynamics
• OXF-R3 EQ

4. URS Everything Bundle
5. Mc DSP Project Studio (or just analog channel)
6. Soundtoys Echoboy
7. Isotope Ozone3
8. PSP Vintage Warmer
9. Drumagog
10. Line6 Echofarm
11. Massenburg Hi-Res Parametic EQ
12. Massey Tape
13. TL Audio EQ1

I suspect most of these do exist on the mac side, but his point is also he has everything working/licensed for our now dead digi002, so why go get them all again... And as a small home biz I see his point, as we are kinda cash poor at the moment anyway considering the situation in Nepal.

Well, any tips, suggestions, etc. are welcome!
Jigs

Ps/ I am the video guy, so I understand his situation. Only in the video world there does not seem to be the problem, take mojo for example, or just plain jane Premiere Pro - it just works wherever with whatever. This 2626 is just crazy!

Dism
07-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Hi there, thx for ur help! Here's the list the engineer gave to me (well, he's my brother-in-law as well):

1. Waves plug-in bundles
2. SSL 4000 Collection

3. Sony/Sonnox:
• Inflator
• Oxford Limiter
• Oxford Reverb
• Transient Modulator
• OXF-R3 Dynamics
• OXF-R3 EQ

4. URS Everything Bundle
5. Mc DSP Project Studio (or just analog channel)
6. Soundtoys Echoboy
7. Isotope Ozone3
8. PSP Vintage Warmer
9. Drumagog
10. Line6 Echofarm
11. Massenburg Hi-Res Parametic EQ
12. Massey Tape
13. TL Audio EQ1

I suspect most of these do exist on the mac side, but his point is also he has everything working/licensed for our now dead digi002, so why go get them all again... And as a small home biz I see his point, as we are kinda cash poor at the moment anyway considering the situation in Nepal.

Well, any tips, suggestions, etc. are welcome!
Jigs

Ps/ I am the video guy, so I understand his situation. Only in the video world there does not seem to be the problem, take mojo for example, or just plain jane Premiere Pro - it just works wherever with whatever. This 2626 is just crazy!

I'm pretty sure all of them exist on Mac side. You might lose one or two, but the licenses don't matter which interface, they are either tied to the computer, or the iLok. You shouldn't have to "get them again." You should simply be able to download them for Mac from the respective company website, and install them. You might have to re-license some of them again... but you'd have to do it again anyway on your Windows partition. You won't, however, have to purchase any of them again.

herojig
07-06-2010, 12:42 PM
thx Dism, that makes sense to me. But I was presented with the problem "new hardware, won't work in bootcamp or VmWare. So like a dog, I went at it without really thinking holistically. Fix it, fix it, whoof whoof. So I am pleased to now just bury this ugly bone. Cheers,
Jigs

Dism
07-06-2010, 01:14 PM
thx Dism, that makes sense to me. But I was presented with the problem "new hardware, won't work in bootcamp or VmWare. So like a dog, I went at it without really thinking holistically. Fix it, fix it, whoof whoof. So I am pleased to now just bury this ugly bone. Cheers,
Jigs

No problem, mate!

Anything to help make things a bit easier on everyone. :-)