PDA

View Full Version : Can't record intrument track

LesPaulSTP
06-03-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm using pro-tools m-powered and a fast track. I can record vocals fine.The guitar won't. I am looking at the input level and they show that they recieve a signal when I strum. I can even monitor the guitar through my head phones. When I hit record I dont get anything. I'm getting a little frustrated.
I set up a new session and added vocal, instrument and click track.

cneal92
06-03-2010, 12:15 PM
***Just looked at the thread title and had to come back and edit. Are you trying to record to an Instrument Track? Instrument Tracks record MIDI not audio. You need to use an Audio Track, just like you used for your vocal. ****

I assume when you say you see level, you are referring to the interface not PT.

I don't know that interface, but I would guess your problem has to do with setting the appropriate input path on the Audio Track you are recording, or maybe a problem in the I/O setup (quick fix for I/O: show the input tab, select and delete all paths, hit the 'Default' button).

I assume that interface has a zero-latency monitoring circuit, you might look in the manual about the zero-latency system (the feature list for the Fast Track mentions a 'direct monitoring button' which is probably what your looking for), to make sure you are using this properly.

DigiTechSupt
06-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Check out KB 366291 (http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=366291)

LesPaulSTP
06-03-2010, 05:21 PM
That was it. I made a new audio track and switched the I/O around and it works now. I just wish I new how to add effects to the guitar track now...hint hint ;)
Thanks guys

pidge
06-03-2010, 06:34 PM
That was it. I made a new audio track and switched the I/O around and it works now. I just wish I new how to add effects to the guitar track now...hint hint ;)
Thanks guys

Read The F*ckin Manual!!!
;)

cneal92
06-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Yes, it is a large manual, but you don't have to read it all at once, and it is well indexed. Keep the pdf open on your computer, or go to the avid store and buy a printed copy, when you run across a problem look it up and learn, it is much faster than waiting around for someone here to answer a question. Pretty soon you'll be answering questions. :)

Not to mention, your new question if answered would just bring about a whole host of new questions.

LesPaulSTP
06-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Read The F*ckin Manual!!!
;)
geez
I'm new and reading the manual didnt really help. I don't understand the terminology. Thats why i decided to ask on here and viola I someone helped me out. So, thanks for the help. Some times reading the f*ckin manual does not help because you cant ask it a question and it is not interctive.