PDA

View Full Version : Drum mixing

melodymaster
05-29-2010, 10:43 AM
When it comes to mixing drums and using submixes whats the best way to go about adding reverb to your drums? Is it better to just add an overall reverb to the submix and effect the whole kit or is it more beneficial to maybe seperate the drums and say have toms, kick, and snare using one certain reverb and then the OH's, and whatever cymbal mics you may have using a different reverb setting.

I'm interested to hear what some of you guys do when it comes to mixing drums and wether or not you even bother using submixes.

ericlees
05-29-2010, 09:21 PM
well i mix them together, just remember that a drum kit is a bunch of "instruments" but treated just as 1 instrument so...just think that before adding one rvb to the snr another to kick etc etc cause you want them to sound as 1 instrument...and naturally...

tribedescribe
05-30-2010, 07:17 PM
I set up a aux track for reverb and then bus each drum track to the aux reverb track. This will give you more control over the snare and toms reverb vs. overheads (which wont need as much reverb) I saw a really cool video where they set up another aux track with a gate for the snare aux send before it went to the reverb aux. Hi hat bleed can muddy the snare verb, and this kept any bleed from the hi-hat/toms out of the reverb for the snare.

good luck

melodymaster
05-31-2010, 10:37 AM
I set up a aux track for reverb and then bus each drum track to the aux reverb track. This will give you more control over the snare and toms reverb vs. overheads (which wont need as much reverb) I saw a really cool video where they set up another aux track with a gate for the snare aux send before it went to the reverb aux. Hi hat bleed can muddy the snare verb, and this kept any bleed from the hi-hat/toms out of the reverb for the snare.

good luck

Hey thanks alot man. Was that video on youtube, i would like to check that out and see it.

tribedescribe
06-01-2010, 12:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk5-RhC_COY&feature=related

its called : Mixing Drums - Cleaner Snare

Later,

Scott