PDA

View Full Version : hd cannot be designated an audio record vol

thesmooter
05-11-2010, 06:04 PM
So after prevous issues it was determined that I needed to reformat my drive and re-install my OSX and Pro-Tools.
Now I cannot change either my ext drive or HD from "transfer" T to "record" R
I get the message: "hd cannot be designated an audio record volume because it is not a valid audio volume"
I have tried the things suggested on the DUC.
1. Repaired Permissions
2. Uninstall/Reinstall pro-tools several times
3. Ensured that I have read/write permission on both drives - journeld OS ext
4. Deleted digidesign database files
5. Called a priest
6. Wept on phone with mommy

ANY help at all is greatly appreciated. I find myself contemplating drinking a tall glass of drano about now.

THANKS!!

Mac Book Pro OS 10.4.11 intel Core Dup- 2GB DDR2 SDRAM
M-Audio Project Mix I/O
Pro Tools 7.1.1cs1
Lacie External Fire wire Hard Drive - 500GB/ 492 free

browniespeaks
05-11-2010, 07:59 PM
looks like you did most of what would have been suggested... one last thing to check would be that its not a FAT32 volume.

DigiTechSupt
05-12-2010, 10:07 AM
With the external drive, I would recommend backing up and data on it, then using the Disk Utility to erase the drive. Select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for the volume format.

Let us know if that works.

Eric Seaberg
05-12-2010, 04:00 PM
If the external drive was formatted using the GUID Partition Table, that would be the problem. As DigiTech suggested, backup the drive and create a NEW PARTITION over the existing (erasing it). Click on the OPTIONS button at the bottom of the PARTITION window of Disk Utility and check Apple Partition Table instead of GUID, the default for Intel Macs.

thesmooter
05-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the help!
All drives are set to MAC OSX JOURNALED
All drives including my hard drive get the same message and I cannot change to record.
Wouldn't reformatting the ext. drive only effect the ext. drive?
I have a second ext. drive that I have used for years and I get the same issue.
That tells me if must be something else right?

I do not have a OPTIONS button at the bottom of the partitions window by the way

thesmooter
05-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the help!
All drives are set to MAC OSX extended JOURNALED
All drives including my hard drive get the same message and I cannot change to record.
Wouldn't reformatting the ext. drive only effect the ext. drive?
I have a second ext. drive that I have used for years and I get the same issue.
That tells me if must be something else right?

I do not have a OPTIONS button at the bottom of the partitions window by the way

DigiTechSupt
05-12-2010, 05:44 PM
If the external drive was formatted using the GUID Partition Table, that would be the problem. As DigiTech suggested, backup the drive and create a NEW PARTITION over the existing (erasing it). Click on the OPTIONS button at the bottom of the PARTITION window of Disk Utility and check Apple Partition Table instead of GUID, the default for Intel Macs.

Technically you shouldn't need to do that, as Intel Macs should do an APM by default.

Have you seen something that would contradict this? Possibly that it uses the same partition map as it already had when doing an erase? Yeah, now that I think about it - that's probably it....

Eric Seaberg
05-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Technically you shouldn't need to do that, as Intel Macs should do an APM by default.

Have you seen something that would contradict this?

Yes, especially with M-powered!! My Intel MBPro defaults GUID, unless I knowingly change it!! I've got several external FW drives that alternate depending on the jobs I'm working on. Floating back-n-forth between my MBPro and G5, the ONLY way I could get recording happening on them on my G5 was by doing an APM partition, even though GUID should work on anything EXCEPT for Intel booting. I've found that NOT to be the case for audio with ProTools.

APM can, certainly, float between PPC or Intel, but GUID isn't as friendly.

thesmooter
05-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I'm kinda lost at this point. What is it that you are suggesting I do?

thesmooter
05-14-2010, 06:44 PM
perhaps i need to seek professional help?????

Eric Seaberg
05-15-2010, 03:30 PM
I think it was suggested you backup everything from that drive and re-format it. Have you tried that?

thesmooter
05-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Just tried it. No drive will change from transfer only. Both external drives nor the hard drive......nada.

Eric Seaberg
05-20-2010, 10:03 AM
I had to do this once. Now that you've initialized your external data drive, un-install and re-install ProTools. It should then be OK.

BTW, what type of partition did you created when you initialized the drive? GUID or Apple? Do you know where to change that?

DigiTechSupt
05-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I'm kinda lost at this point. What is it that you are suggesting I do?

Follow my previous instructions about backing up the drive and erasing it using Disk Utility. It will only affect the drive you choose in Disk Utility.

thesmooter
05-28-2010, 11:32 PM
So I have re-initialized the ext hard drive. It was automatically to APM. See below.

Disk Description : LaCie Total Capacity : 465.8 GB (500,107,862,016 Bytes)
Connection Bus : FireWire Write Status : Read/Write
Connection Type : External S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported
Connection ID : 58629924415954414 Partition Scheme : Apple Partition Map

Reinstalled Pro Tools twice and still have the same issue.

My question is this: Wouldn't I still be able to change my Hard Drive to "R" regardless of any formatting issue with my ext drives????

thesmooter
06-01-2010, 09:33 PM
?

DigiTechSupt
06-02-2010, 11:41 AM
So I have re-initialized the ext hard drive. It was automatically to APM. See below.

Disk Description : LaCie Total Capacity : 465.8 GB (500,107,862,016 Bytes)
Connection Bus : FireWire Write Status : Read/Write
Connection Type : External S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported
Connection ID : 58629924415954414 Partition Scheme : Apple Partition Map

Reinstalled Pro Tools twice and still have the same issue.

My question is this: Wouldn't I still be able to change my Hard Drive to "R" regardless of any formatting issue with my ext drives????

Did you do a clean uninstall of Pro Tools before reinstalling it?

Here's what I would do - clean uninstall Pro Tools, make sure that all preferences and database files are trashed (restart between each step), reinstall Pro Tools, repair permissions and try it again.

There's some detail that's getting overlooked here, but I'm having a difficult time determining what it may be. Hopefully the above steps circumvent any possibility of something going wrong that we're not seeing.