PDA

View Full Version : Big Bang

longmansleep
05-09-2010, 05:49 AM
Besides of having not more than approximately 50% performance after upgrading my M-Powered system to Pro Tools software v8 every time I switch to iTunes and back to Pro Tools a big WHAMMM comes out of my quite expensive Adam audio speakers.

mindnoise
05-10-2010, 04:33 AM
how about turning down the volume knob before switching?

longmansleep
05-10-2010, 06:18 AM
how about turning down the volume knob before switching?

pretty good plan ;)

longmansleep
05-25-2010, 06:09 AM
pretty good plan ;)

That was ironic ...

browniespeaks
05-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Itunes and PT dont play nice... havn't and prob wont. Heres a fun bug i forget about every now and then. Buy something from Itunes while your Pt session is open. It will downlaod and look like all is well but itunes will crash after the download completes but before the item is added to your library. So you will have an encrypted download and no way to open it. Email itunes and they will give you a new download link. Went threw this a few times before it dawned on me to close PT before buying from itunes.

DigiTechSupt
05-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Besides of having not more than approximately 50% performance after upgrading my M-Powered system to Pro Tools software v8 every time I switch to iTunes and back to Pro Tools a big WHAMMM comes out of my quite expensive Adam audio speakers.

Which M-Audio hardware are you using? I do this all the time with a 2626 and haven't heard any pops.

If you can give more info about your system and any troubleshooting or details about settings, etc. I can probably figure out what's possibly going wrong.

DigiTechSupt
05-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Itunes and PT dont play nice... havn't and prob wont. Heres a fun bug i forget about every now and then. Buy something from Itunes while your Pt session is open. It will downlaod and look like all is well but itunes will crash after the download completes but before the item is added to your library. So you will have an encrypted download and no way to open it. Email itunes and they will give you a new download link. Went threw this a few times before it dawned on me to close PT before buying from itunes.

Which system are you on? iTunes and Pro Tools ability to 'play nice' depends on the hardware you're using - it seems to me that, since you're able to have both open at the same time, you're using a Digi or M-Audio device that supports multi-client core audio, which should be pretty seamless. At least it is on virtually every system I use on a daily basis (2626, Fastrack, 1810, Mbox 2), though I can't say I've tried the download thing - I'll see if I can do that in the next day or two. What are you downloading, exactly?

longmansleep
05-26-2010, 04:33 AM
Which M-Audio hardware are you using? I do this all the time with a 2626 and haven't heard any pops. If you can give more info about your system and any troubleshooting or details about settings, etc. I can probably figure out what's possibly going wrong.

Hallo - thank you for answering!

My mobile system is an iMac C2D/OS1062/PT803/FW1814 and nothing installed than the OS, Pro Tools and Plugs. All of it installed in compliance with the recommendations by avid and using only compatible versions of plug-ins (if all 3rd-party manufacturers are telling the truth).

The OS uses the internal Audio-Out. Whenever I switch from Pro Tools to iTunes - for listening into a Song or listen to some samples - and switch back to Pro Tools there is a big Bang coming out of the internal system after a short while (1-5 Seconds). Of course I could learn to turn down the volume of the internal Output before I switch back to Pro Tools or alternatively completely change the way i work. But working this way was no problem while using Pro Tools 7.3.

BTW: It sometimes takes a long time to get a reply from me. This is because I am not informed about new posts to a topic by e-mail even though I have a valid e-mail-adress in my profile and "instant e-Mail notification" is turned on. In other groups using vBulletin this works perfect so i usually forget to frequently open my duc account to look for new posts.

DigiTechSupt
05-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Hallo - thank you for answering!

My mobile system is an iMac C2D/OS1062/PT803/FW1814 and nothing installed than the OS, Pro Tools and Plugs. All of it installed in compliance with the recommendations by avid and using only compatible versions of plug-ins (if all 3rd-party manufacturers are telling the truth).

The OS uses the internal Audio-Out. Whenever I switch from Pro Tools to iTunes - for listening into a Song or listen to some samples - and switch back to Pro Tools there is a big Bang coming out of the internal system after a short while (1-5 Seconds). Of course I could learn to turn down the volume of the internal Output before I switch back to Pro Tools or alternatively completely change the way i work. But working this way was no problem while using Pro Tools 7.3.

BTW: It sometimes takes a long time to get a reply from me. This is because I am not informed about new posts to a topic by e-mail even though I have a valid e-mail-adress in my profile and "instant e-Mail notification" is turned on. In other groups using vBulletin this works perfect so i usually forget to frequently open my duc account to look for new posts.

Where is the output of your computer routed to, exactly?

I need a clear idea of how everything is connected and routed, so I can try to duplicate it.

Is there a reason you're not using the 1814 for playback of iTunes, instead of the Macs built in output?

longmansleep
05-27-2010, 04:16 AM
The output of the computer is routed to "Kopfhörer" on the german system - it might be "headphones" on the english system. This output is connected to the mixing-desk. I use different channels for the 1814 and the computer-out because I like to have different eq-settings, and sometimes different Subwoofer and monitor speakers for listening to music or samples than for hearing the pro tools output where I try to leave the channels of my desk as linear as possible.

I can switch back an forth between iTunes and other software without having a problem but as soon as pro tools is open and I stop iTunes playback and switch to pro tools after some seconds (1 - 4 or five) ...whamm.