PDA

View Full Version : Just bought M-Powered Pro Tools 8, but.....

franzbri
05-06-2010, 02:23 AM
I´ve just bought M-powered Pro Tools 8 because of the promovideos (niiiiice!!) it looks as if Hypercontrol from Axiom49PRO is more integrated than Logic Pro. I use booth on a new MacBook PRO 2,6GHz 4GB RAM MacOS 10.6.3, but to my disapointment I found that PT8, allthough it´s not as complex (and expensive) and Logic has dousins of more plugins and virtual instruments, it isn´t working as good. Even Hypercontrol is working better with Logic. (ex. CMD - = does not work from the Axiom49pro) Typicaly Logic is more user-friendly and the installationprocess and the ridiculous "iLok-pain-in-the-ass" copyprotection was also a big con.
Of the 8 virtual instruments included two are "click-tracks" and the Xpand will not load, giving the following errormessage:

"The plug-in could not be made active because DAE is low on memory (error #-9006)."

browniespeaks
05-06-2010, 03:37 AM
trash your prefs... what interface are you using?

8.03cs2 has updates to hypercontrol. if you don't have it you should get it.

I must admit i have not custom programmed anything on my pro66 but, i use two displays so this isn't one i would have found. I think your going to find you need your keyboard and mouse anyhoo while using the axiom. I'm sure it can be done without it but I still find my mouse and qwerty essential. Im looking for and testing some ways to select mix/edit windows for you. There are a few post on the m-audio board about this. m-audio support says it should not be a problem.

franzbri
05-06-2010, 03:44 AM
Thx for quick replay. I use FastTrack. Being an Apple-idiot short stuff like "trash your prefs..." is too cryptic. Which pref and where, please?
Also where do I find the 8.03cs2???

fb

browniespeaks
05-06-2010, 03:50 AM
no prob heres some instructions for your particular issue http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=209565&Hilite=9006

the trash preferences stuff is located in the general troubleshooting of the "help us help you - read before posting deal at the top." you may or may not need to do that in addition to the steps in the link above.

8.03cs2 can be found on the avid.com page. - click my acount - log in - click authorizations and download - click my products - click downloads - you should see it listed.

I would really sudgest you read the instructions a few times before you install as it can be a B*tch if you don't.

franzbri
05-06-2010, 04:06 AM
Once again thx. I´ll try this. Guess I´ve gotten into Windows/PC-land and that´s a place where I never been before.

fb

browniespeaks
05-06-2010, 04:13 AM
Once again thx. I´ll try this. Guess I´ve gotten into Windows/PC-land and that´s a place where I never been before.

fb

Those instructions are for mac. your still in mac land i crossed a bridge just to help you ;)

franzbri
05-06-2010, 09:02 AM
OK Clifford, if I may...
Seems as the 8.0.3cs2 update had some impact on the way Hypercontrol functions compared to earlier. How ever the hotkeys (Group 2 ProTools/MacKeys) do not correspond as they should. 1 = save 2 = click 3 = Edit/Mix 4 = Duplicate 5 = Set L 6= Set R 7 = ctrl 8 = Cmd 9 = Option - = zoom out + = zoom in 0 = shift. Of these only 1 and 2 and zoom seems to do what they should in PT8. I´m mostly intrested in being able to toggle Edit/Mix instead of using Cmd-= on my QKB.
When it comes to the Xpand I´ve given up.

Once again thank your for your kind help and being able to interpret my brooken english. Wont take up more of your time now.

Franz Brink

franzbri
05-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Sometimes being a dummy isn´t all that bad. The number 3 button that should toggle between mix/edit mode has to be reassigned. Probably because I´m on a MacBook Pro. A little trail´n error lead me to the right combination that should be:

0 (as in zero) - shift - cmd

"nioiiooiice"

All the rest of the buttons seems to be OK.

browniespeaks
05-06-2010, 12:00 PM
awesome :D so i'm mixed on the axiom would like to know what you think it after you play with it for a while. I don't think it lived up to the hype just before it came out. It does make life a ton easier though so... I guess it was worth the money.

franzbri
05-06-2010, 01:20 PM
For me life is all about compact living. I´m not a mucisian, just been writing my own songs for 45 years. But I´m a sucker for new stuff so I´ve had it all....... most. I thing the Axiom49pro is great,now that I´ve gotten all thing working just like in the promovideos. The semiweighted keys are quite impressive. But like I said, I´m not even a semipro. I just did a raw demo and I´m putting it on http://myspace.com/franzbri later tonight.
Really nice of you to help me.

fb