PDA

View Full Version : Missing Fades and other issues, please help.

Benjamino
04-28-2010, 03:59 AM
Hi, I've searched the relevant sections of the DUC and the internet in general and can find no real help with this series of problems, it's really too broad to be answered by one post but it's all related so...

I work in a school for the Music Tech department. In the Mac lab (teaching room) we have 8 iMacs still running Tiger with PT M-Powered 7.4 and M-Audio Firewire 410 interfaces.

In the Studio we use a MacPro currently on Tiger and PT LE 7.3.1 with 003R (although I'm about to perform an upgrade to Snow Leopard and PT8 HD). We also have a mobile rig which is a MacBook Pro running Tiger and PT LE 7.3.1 and this is sometimes used with 002R or an MBox 1.

I am not part of the ICT support dept and therefore am not granted Admin Priviledges on the iMacs which are networked to the main school servers (via and Xserve) so I cannot perform updates/installations of drivers or anything, so the iMacs are generally always behind because ICT support do not seem to prioritise the continual updating of Mac systems.

We recently had 7 out of our 8 Firewire 410 interfaces nicked, so we're left with only one until ICT sort out our upgrades/replacement etc.

One of my students has been working on his A2 composition for Music Tech on PT 7.4 M-Powered on one of the iMacs with the last remaning 410 and this has been working fine until recently when the iMac stopped recognising the 410, and the blue light on the front of the 410 just flashes (like it does during a firmware update) and never stops. This means PT won't launch and he cannot continue his work. So we copied the entire PT session folder for his composition to an external drive and attempted to open it on both the studio MacPro and the MacBook Pro (both on 7.3 LE) but even though the session opens apparently 87 Fade Files are missing and more strangely, some of the audio regions seem to have been trimmed back so there are gaps between regions that were not there before, and when we try to use the trim tool to return them to the correct length it will not do it, it's as if the audio is simply not there.

Can fades be 'regenerated' in PT 7.3? If not the fade files can be redone (although this is anoying and time consuming) but the missing portions of longer audio regions is just baffling.

The Round Robin option in Disk Allocation is never checked because when moving sessions around a college it creates massive problems so that can't be the cause of the missing fades, and everytime he's worked on it he's saved the session and backed up the entire session folder to an external drive. The original fade files folder on the M-powered system contains 114 fades and the last time he was able to open it on that system the session was perfect, the fade files folder on the backed up drive contains 113 fades (?) and still the PT LE system says there are 87 fades missing and sure enough they're greyed out in the edit window.

I know this is a waffling post but we're pulling our hair out with frustration and panic, the deadline is in about 2 weeks and the piece was nearly finished but this kind of set back really puts the pressure on.

So basically two requests:

Any suggestions as to why the M-Powered system has decided not to recognise the 410? (no updates have been carried out so the drivers should not have changed)

and

Any help with the missing fades and weird missing audio?

Many thanks in advance

Ben

:confused:

DigiTechSupt
04-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Hi Ben,
As far as the Firewire 410 no longer being recognized, please check System Profiler and see if the device still shows up on the firewire bus.

If it does not show up, do other firewire devices (such as hard drives) still work on this machine? If so, and it's not a bad cable, that 410 may be in need of repair.

If it does show up, an uninstall/reinstall of the appropriate M-Audio drivers may bring it back to life (if you can get a system admin to do this for you - I realize you are limited in your installation privileges).

To address the other issue - yes, 7.3 can regenerate missing fades. There should be a checkbox for this in the 'Missing Files' dialog when the session opens.

I also suggest trashing the Digidesign Databases folder on the drive that the session was backed up to. In fact, trashing all databases across all drives as outlined in the General Mac Troubleshooting link below would be a good idea.

Also, and again if you can get admin access, you should definitely update the 7.3.1 systems to 7.3.1cs8 (http://www3.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=1&navid=54&itemid=36872).

About the missing audio, try importing one of the files that seems to be missing audio at the beginning and/or end into a new session and see if the data that was apparently trimmed away is there. It may be worth a look.

Best regards,