PDA

View Full Version : How to reduce overall file size?

daemore
04-16-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure if this has been covered but I have what is probably a very simple issue that I can't figure out how to resolve.

Is there a way to reduce my overall pro tools file size? They are like 23 GB and when I move them from desktop to external drive and vise versa it takes like 20 minutes.

I'm new to pro tools so my question is, is there a folder I should be deleting? Is protools storing every file even after it's been deleted from the session? I ask this because when i move a folder it starts moving 2000 (plus) internal files.

Thoughts?

Trevoire520
04-16-2010, 02:29 PM
region list
select unused files
clear
delete from disk

be careful though, this is not undo-able and any other/older session files that are using the audio you've just deleted will be screwed.

If you need to keep these files for other/older sessions then you can do this:

region list
select unused files
clear
remove from session
save session copy (with all audio files etc)

daemore
04-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks. So would you recommend just keeping them as is? I wasn't sure if this was normal.

I just started moving one that says it will take 35 to 40 minutes and was close to 46 GB. However, I don't want to screw myself by messing around deleting stuff.

Are most files this size and do most people just keep them as is?

JonesH
04-24-2010, 05:56 AM
You can also use the compact regions feature. Check it out in the reference guide.

Eric Seaberg
04-24-2010, 06:46 AM
I have to ask WHY are the files on your desktop?! This implies you are recording to your internal system drive which is NOT approved or a good idea. If you have an external drive, ALL recording should be done to it all the time.

That will not only solve your original problem, but avoid other future 'crashes' as well.

daemore
05-02-2010, 09:29 AM
I've tried opening the file from my external but I can never get them working so I move them to the desktop and when I'm done working with them i move them back. I'm guessing this is wrong?

Eric Seaberg
05-02-2010, 11:48 AM
If they're on your desktop they're on your internal, system drive and is NOT supported or recommended by Digi/Avid. What happens when you try to open from your external? What error do you get? Is you external drive formatted GUID (for Intel Macs) instead of Apple Partition Table (PPC Macs)?