PDA

View Full Version : buying iMac - simpleton

Lach
04-14-2010, 05:36 PM
I know there are threads similar outlining specs etc of the new iMacs (duo and quad) but to be honest a lot of that is going over my head and hoping someone can give me some basic info...

I purchased an Mbox mini with Protools LE 8 a while ago and haven't been able to properly use it due to problems with my previous computer. I'm looking to buy a new iMac and am having problems deciding between a Duo Core with 8gb ram or a Quad i5/i7? I've been hearing conflicting reports from various people, mainly from a friend who runs a Quad PC and Protools 7 and has had nothing but trouble trying to run things smoothly. Something about Quad's having too much space for Protools to run efficiently? (again no idea really)

But I seem to be seeing stuff about people running the iMac quads no problems, I'm not wholy sure about the difference between PC and Mac quad cores.. So presuming the iMac quads do run fine - then it comes down to the difference between i5 and i7 and so on?

I'm not looking to do incredibly huge productions with Pro Tools, mainly just for personal writing/composing etc.. but at the same time I want to buy something that will go the distance and be compatible for future upgrades?

Again apologies for being so vague but don't want to jump into buying something that doesn't end up doing what I want and would appreciate any help - cheers!

mindnoise
04-15-2010, 02:25 AM
With computers there is nothing as "too much space or too fast" :)

ok, so Core Duo CPUs are out of the way. Forget them.

at least a Core2Duo Processor,
i5 and i7 are even better with PT8, the trick is to just leave one CPU Core to the system while PT can occupie the remaining ones at 99%

and also you need at least one other harddisk for recording.
If itīs external it MUST be FireWire or eSata with an OXFORD bridgechip inside.
USB will most likely cause inferior performance.

check the web for Glyph, newegg.com and macsales.com.

chrisdee
04-15-2010, 02:45 AM
+1.

Although you probably will be able to run ProTools on the system disk it's not reccomended. I successfully managed to run PT 7 on my 2006 model Imac's system disk for a 1/2 year befor I had the money to buy a external harddrive.

Lach
04-15-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.
Is it really neccessary to get the i7 or will the i5 do the job for me fine?

ericlees
04-15-2010, 09:39 PM
probably the i5 will be enough...but if you have the money go for the i7....

i been working on a macbook pro 2.53Ghz and 4gb and my internal drive without problems running pt 8 all sessions 5 min length and 30 tracks plus 12 aux and 35 plug ins including waves and mcdsp without troubles...just adjust my playback engine and only working with pt...and no problems i just get the error (disk to slow...) when using a session with more that 40 tracks and becomes so slow the response on my mac...so with an external hd i do not have any issue using 48 tracks aux and plug ins...so...maybe 2 hd and i can be able to handle 64 tracks plus additional stuff

Lach
04-15-2010, 11:35 PM
yeah from the sounds of what you've described the i5 should do me fine... I really don't see myself going over 30 tracks. thanks for the info!