PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS 10.6.3 and Pro tools 8.0.3

andrewlaw02
04-13-2010, 02:02 PM
i have recently updated my pro tools 8.0 to 8.0.3 but when i try to open it, it brings up a warning that says:

Pro tools m powered cannot be opened because of a problem.

"Check with the developer to make sure pro tools m powered works with this version of Mac OS X. you may need to reinstall the application. be sure to install any available updates for the application and Mac OS X."

i have reinstalled pro tools twice and uninstalled it twice as well. i can't find any more updates for mac or pro tools that i might need to make this run.

Please help me! any ideas?

mindnoise
04-15-2010, 03:57 AM
did you check bakc with this thread?
troubleshooting:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=147797

best

John_Toolbox
04-15-2010, 06:47 AM
did you check bakc with this thread?
troubleshooting:

best

Yet another thing that people use every day that now has broken links. Gotta love this new AVID website. :rolleyes:

mindnoise
04-15-2010, 08:28 AM
speaking of broken things,
over at he NI forums are some threads reporting problems after updating to 10.6.3.
Like apps stopped working.

best

ericlees
04-15-2010, 12:19 PM
im using 8.0.3 and snow .3 and works flawless yesterday i was mixing a song using my internal hd a profire 2626 and the session was about 5 minutes and 25audio tracks plus 4 aux and 1 master, 38 waves maserati plug ins, a couple of d verbs and bomb factory and not even 1 error...just adjusted my playback engine and done...

FanOfTheFunk
04-26-2010, 07:15 PM
im using 8.0.3 and snow .3 and works flawless yesterday i was mixing a song using my internal hd a profire 2626 and the session was about 5 minutes and 25audio tracks plus 4 aux and 1 master, 38 waves maserati plug ins, a couple of d verbs and bomb factory and not even 1 error...just adjusted my playback engine and done...

your using 10.6.3 snow leopard? what diver pack are you using? one you down loaded, or the driver disk that came with the your 2626? i cant get my 2626 to work on 10.6.3

Eric Seaberg
04-26-2010, 07:52 PM
i was mixing a song using my internal hd...

You obviously don't know the rules and have been extremely lucky. Using the internal system drive is a MAJOR NO-NO and not supported by Digi.

FanOfTheFunk
04-26-2010, 08:54 PM
what are "the rules". why is it a major no-no on the internal drive?

up till now ive been running digi 001 on an old pc. im more then a little behind the times.

in any case, i just installed and uninstalled the 2626 about 4 times and now it works fine on os 10.6.3 with pt 8.0.3

am i going to fry my computer or something?

FanOfTheFunk
04-26-2010, 09:13 PM
another question. i just got this set up tonight. seems like im getting two audio signals when i plug a guitar into input one 1/4 jack. one from the 2626, and one from PT. sounds maybe like a latency issue? play back sounds fine. how do i fix this?

this is my first mac in a long time. back in 1999-2000 i was running 001 on a G4. for the past 6 years or so ive been running on the PC. i do small sessions myself. though sometimes i use as many as 20 or so tracks. i dont use plug-in at all other the EQ's.

thanks for any help you can give me.

mindnoise
04-27-2010, 02:40 AM
it is totally RECOMMEDED as in 'if you donīt do it see how far it gets you'
to only record to a second harddisk. Be it internal or external.
This has been the case since day 1 with PT, so it also effected your 001 already. ;)

Itīs got to do with how PT records to avoid drop outs aka the harddsik is not fast enough to write the data. The difference between PT and other DAWs is that other DAW donīt inform you about recording dropouts.

And the System Disk is most of the times (Windows 98 was the pinnacle of System mismanagement, or maybe Vista ;) ), too much occupied with System I/O processes to guarantee a safe recording. Maybe not with one track but with multitracks you will very soon get errors.

And if you need an external harddisk make sure itīs FireWire with any sort of
OXFORD bridgechip 911, 924 or 936 in it.

As for the signal check and learn the Softmixer feature of the 2626, this is quite powerful and not so easy to understand until you get the concept of the 'channel routing'. Essentiall you have 26 inputs. But these can be routed to ANY of the 26 outputs as you like. Meaning: input channel 1 is not necessarily connected to output channel 1 plus there are the Software Return channels. As far as I remember.

so far
best :D

FanOfTheFunk
04-27-2010, 03:18 AM
thanks for the information! generally, ill be recording 4 tracks at a time at most. no plugins till later, if any. if i record my band rehearsals i use 8 with no plugins. in the 11 or so years with 001 i never had a problem so ill be crossing my fingers.

ill read up on the softmixer for the 2626.

thanks again!

mindnoise
04-27-2010, 03:43 AM
yes the stability of the 001 is unsurpassed.

I still like to remember it.

....but things changed...
:)

FanOfTheFunk
04-27-2010, 03:04 PM
while i keep my fingers crossed with pt 8.0.3, ill be leaving my 001 in the in the rack just in case.

if im having trouble using the internal drive on my mac how would i go about setting up/using pt 8.0.3 and the profire 2626 on an external drive? what mac compatible drive would work well?

my mac has only 1 firewire port. i assume the external hard drive would use that. would i need a firewire hub, or would the 2626 plug into a firewire on the external drive.

sorry for all the questions but ive been living in the stone age for awhile. i guess im from the school of, dont fix or replace it until it stops working entirely. the only reason i switched to new gear is that ive been doing more session playing. people have asked me to track at home and send them files. i was told that you could open pt8 with pt hd 8 which is in most all the studios i record in.

thanks again

Eric Seaberg
04-27-2010, 04:31 PM
my mac has only 1 firewire port. i assume the external hard drive would use that. would i need a firewire hub, or would the 2626 plug into a firewire on the external drive.

NO HUBS!! There's TONS of information in this list on how to hook this up, but you daisy chain using the single FW port on the Mac. I assume it's a newer Mac with FW800. You need an adapter cable that converts FW800 to FW400, plug that into a FW400 drive and plug the interface into the extra 'through' FW400 on the external drive.

FanOfTheFunk
05-01-2010, 03:23 AM
pt 8.0.3 and the profire 2626 seem to be running fine on the internal hd. i recorded a song with 3 drum mins, 2 leslie speaker mic, bass di, and a guitar amp. no plugins. ran smooth.

how do i get "command space bar" to work for record? i press it, it opens up the spotlight feature on my macs task bar at the top of the screen. doesnt not enable record.

mindnoise
05-01-2010, 07:44 AM
there is a problem between OS X and PT Keys and no one wantīs to be stand back.

check this thread for troubleshooting:

Eric Seaberg
05-01-2010, 09:43 AM
pt 8.0.3 and the profire 2626 seem to be running fine on the internal hd.

It may be fine for a while, but when you start getting errors (9033, 6031, etc.) you'll know it's time to get an external drive.

FanOfTheFunk
05-01-2010, 10:54 AM
i was kinda thinking the same thing. run fine for a while, then start to bug out. good looks on the error numbers eric. i appreciate it.

thanks for all your help guys. you have given me some great insight through your pt knowledge.

Xuser
06-21-2010, 02:40 AM
Well Ive been teaching (sort of) a friend of mine who bought Pts M Powered 8 education version a couple of weeks ago just for the hell of it. He also bought the cheapest M audio USb interface he could find second hand (black Box) he picked up for about 40 pounds and weve been running through sessions recording vi's to the internal drive without a hitch. Im not talking about 4 tracks of audio, Im talking about 20 stereo tracks and a ton of insert plugins.
Please do tell me why a second APPROVED drive is a must. Will the computer suddenly do a runner or blow up? Many of you quote this must have option but dont say why. How come I can run Logic, Cubase, Live or any other Daw off one drive. Whats so different about PTs? I can see the logic with an HD system, perhaps something to do with the DSp chips? And what if I added in an SD drive (the type of system I actually want). Those things are ten times faster than a mechanical drive, would I still need to have that must have second drive. Is it a speed issue, is a the way Pts reads and writes. Theres no technical info I can find that explains why.

I understand where Digidesign are coming from (they have to make sure their approval systems work) and its probably true that a second drive is highly recommended, but I have a hunch this is a little bit OTT in todays world that its an absolute necessity especially with a native sytem.

Ive just been reading a large thread with load of people having some sort of 6011 error or something. Their all playing it by the book and using the approved system and second drive and also rushing out to buy more stuff to get their system working. In saying that anyone using a mac laptop for serious recording deserves to get problems. Ive owned a few of them and without fail each and everyone has been a disaster for any type of recording. I dont care if they have 18,000 quad chips, I just think the build architecture of them isnt right for recording. Power and cooling is everything in PC land, I cant see how it would be any different with Macs and those fancy silver boxes run incredibly hot.

As for me Im still undecided whether to go M Powered, LE, or HD. Im reading all the forums and many have issues of some sorts.

But I do wonder if those pesky USB ILOks cause issues for M powered users, i know the one for my CUbase 5 does because its firing out messages every second and watching me like a stalking eagle :)

I really would like to know why a second drive is a must because that figures in to the system I eventually buy.