PDA

View Full Version : "Finder quits" weirdness!

crowdog
02-11-2001, 11:08 AM
Hello all - I've run into a problem in closing just one session ..... all others open & close normally ..... this session has 16 tracks & a healthy amount of plug-ins & edits , after working in it, when I go to close either the session itself or all of PT, the system freezes w/ error message "Finder needs your attention - PT has unexpectedly quit due to a type 2 error". Then the Mac seizes with the DAE still open , PT itself was allowed to close.

I searched the DUC & found many finder quit problems - some exactly like this, but no solutions, I've tried all the usual suspects ..... changed extension set to Base + PT, trashed all DAE & Digi prefs, Desktop rebuild , adding more memory to DAE & PT (110 & 95K, respectively, minimums intact ) ... I didn't zap PRAM yet, will probably do so soon & see if that helps.

PT/DAE saves all changes made ... it's just that it freezes when closing, a pita that 's making me somewhat concerned about a corrupt file or directory.

System = PTle 5.01 on a G4 500mhz w/ 384mb RAM, 28GB Seagate HD ATA66,
9.04 Mac OS.

TIA
Tony

crowdog
02-11-2001, 09:24 PM
Shag - Arf,arf for the tips - to no avail though.
I think it has something to do with the Digi output in sound manager - I went there trying to hunt this problem down ..... when I tried to play the alarm sounds the system froze!! Error 2 . I also hear a slight click when the DAE extension loads when rebooting ....... Digi Support??

Oh yeah , PRAM zap did nothing.

Tony

RIO
02-11-2001, 09:45 PM
Hi Crowdog

If it's just the one session that causing the problem - then maybe it's a corrupt session file. Have you tried creating a new blank session and then track transferring into it from the original session? Just a thought - you might find it works.

Kasper
02-11-2001, 10:24 PM
I tooo have had this problem.

Trash the DSI and put a new copy in.
Trash the Digisetup(in the prefs folder).
Reboot.
You'll have to check a few hardware settings and reset them as you like.

Works for me.

kasper

shaggy
02-12-2001, 12:23 AM
Tony,

Try trashing 'finder' preferences.

But the finder or system can get corrupted.

My remedey is to use my BU system folder, from CD, boot with it and replace my 'finder, 'system', 'system resources' and 'os rom' by dragging.

Restart and reset PRAM...(Command,Option,P,R, for 3 chimes)

(you can't take these items off an Apple OS CD 'cause they are locked!)

crowdog
02-12-2001, 06:36 AM
Kasper - DSI = Digi system init??? & I assume it's on the 5.01 CD ?

If I use track transfer do I lose all editing, plug-in settings & automation data? I was thinking of doing this, but didn't want to lose the autos.

Let me know & thanks all

Tony

[This message has been edited by crowdog (edited February 12, 2001).]

Kasper
02-12-2001, 09:24 AM
"Kasper - DSI = Digi system init??? & I assume it's on the 5.01 CD ? "

Yes, on both counts. Its in the "System Folder Items" folder.
I was having this problem last week, every time i would quit PT and click on the desk top I would hang and crash. I trashed both the Digisetup and DSI, put a new copy of DSI in and restarted. Have not had the problem since.

Don't know about Track Transfer, You will lose some things can't remember what, i don't use it much.

kasper

RIO
02-12-2001, 10:02 AM
Make sure your blank session has the same sample rate, bit rate and session start time as the session that's giving you a problem. When you transfer all your tracks you won't lose any automation, edits or plug-ins. Everything should transfer perfectly. The only thing that could be different is preferences.

If it is just the one session that is causing you problems then it is most probably a corrupt session file. Track transferring really should solve the problem.

Good Luck!

RIO
02-12-2001, 10:05 AM
I just thought! The other thing that you will lose is any playlists that aren't assigned to tracks! If you've got any - then it might be wise to temporarily assign them to a track so that you can transfer them.

I don't think you'll lose anything else though.

swablar
02-12-2001, 10:06 AM
Track Transfer does not transfer midi or playlist info, However, I think it should help since your problem is all related to one session.

crowdog
02-13-2001, 10:10 PM
Thanks to all for your help .... I've tried all of the above without any luck - Track Transfer does copy automation & plug-ins (not groups, however) , installed new DSI, trashed everything in sight - still the problem persists. I even reinstalled the Digi control panel & downloaded Mac OS 9.1 for a new Sound manager, but DAE still locks up. http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/frown.gif

Anyone else out there with suggestions?

Digi Support??
Tony

[This message has been edited by crowdog (edited February 14, 2001).]

BDWillis
02-13-2001, 11:19 PM
Hey Tony - Sometimes the problem is embedded in a particular track or aux/reverb return, etc. Try Track Transfer again, but only transfer the audio tracks. Then open the new session & see if it still has problems. If so, trash the newly created session & start again, this time only transferring a few tracks at a time (for example, do all the drums… open the session & check for trouble. If none, transfer bass & guitars, etc & rebuild the session gradually until you find the specific element that's been corrupted).

If you work at the process of elimination by starting small & adding groups of tracks/sends (re-opening/closing the session with each addition) you should be able to determine who's the culprit, transfer everything else in & then recreate the corrupted track from scratch. (My troubles have almost always been aux sends…) Good luck.

Warmest Regards,
Brian

shaggy
02-14-2001, 08:01 AM
What could that click be. The head moving back & forth across the platter?

Looking for something?

Was this the only session Sound Mgr was set to Digi?

crowdog
02-14-2001, 08:11 PM
Brian - sounds like a good troubleshooting approach, will try it as soon as I get a minute. Thanks

Shaggy - All my sessions use the Digi control panel , not sound manager ..... don't know what the clicking sound is when DAE loads though, just a very slight click, like a connection's being made with the inputs live - WTF . It kind of reminds e of the posts about a click/pop , then no sound from PT , which would come back if you closed & reloaded the session ..... I dunno!

Tony

crowdog
02-15-2001, 10:11 PM
Well I just figured out what the problem was ...... very strange , not Mac or Digi software related at all. I had loaded this problematic session to work on and try the things Brian had suggested, when I went to switch the inputs on one of the channels I got a loud pop through my monitors - I was more perplexed than ever. I went to the "hardware" under "settups" to check the sync and got a loud pop when the panel opened! thinking WTF - I started checking stuff in the rack & in the course of troubleshooting reseated the PCI cable at both ends and rebooted - lo & behold the clicking/popping stopped & the session closed normally without the DAE freezing up. Go figure!
Well at least it's fixed.

Thanks for all of your help!
Tony

[This message has been edited by crowdog (edited February 16, 2001).]