PDA

View Full Version : Digi - Magma's PCI-7-RX Chassis Now NOT Endorsed?!!

Samhein
02-09-2001, 05:06 AM
Digi,

What's up? The new compatibility document doesn't even mention the previously endorsed PCI-7-RX Expansion Chassis from Magma.

It was the only flexible chassis which worked across the board - G4 AGP, G4 PCI, Beige G3, 9500 & 9600.

It was also endorsed to run AV Option.

Why has it been dropped?

And more importantly, what happens to customers who purchased the Magma PCI-7-RX based on your recommendation in the PT 5.01 compatibility document?

I hope it's simply a model number change ...

Avid
02-09-2001, 10:16 AM
I'll get clarification and details. The person in charge of Digidesign and development partner chassis is out of the office this week on the DigiWorld tour, but I should have some answers for you next week.

------------------
Bruce Paine
Digidesign Customer Service

Nick Batzdorf
02-09-2001, 11:04 PM
Some educated guesses, for what they're worth:

My understanding is that there's not a lot of difference between the MAGMA chassis as far as their PCI card is concerned. The only different chassis is the 13-slot model, which I believe uses two bridge chips instead of one.

Since 9.1 actually fixed some problems with using the MAGMA chassis on PowerBooks, I can't imagine it would break one that works now.

And my guess is that PT 5.1 wouldn't have anything to do with this. What works and doesn't is much more likely to be an OS 9.1 issue. But since you can run PT 5.1 under System 9.0.4, there wouldn't seem to be anything to worry about.

[This message has been edited by Nick Batzdorf (edited February 09, 2001).]

Samhein
02-10-2001, 11:24 PM
Nick,

I don't think it's that simple. If not, why is the newly approved Magma P7R & P7RQ not endorsed for use on the Beige G3 and 9600?

The earlier PCI-7-RX was enorsed for all models 9500 upwards.

And to top it up, the Magma 7 slot models (old/new) have totally been abandoned for AV Option users.

Nick Batzdorf
02-11-2001, 08:08 PM
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I honestly *do* think it's "that simple." MAGMA told me that their chassis are all the same electrically (until you get to the 13-slot one with two bridge chips). They make one PCI card and one Cardbus card - the number of slots doesn't make a lot of difference to it.

But again, you should call MAGMA and Digidesign - I'm not a tech support person at either company.

digiot
02-12-2001, 08:43 AM
I just installed a MAGMA 7 slot in a G4-533 and so far all seems well!! I did have to fitz around with the card order(MAGMA-host,MOTU PCI-324,MIRO DC30+,ATTO EPCDC) but protools seems to be working just fine(MIX+,PCI-Farm).

Samhein
02-14-2001, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Digidesign:
I'll get clarification and details. The person in charge of Digidesign and development partner chassis is out of the office this week on the DigiWorld tour, but I should have some answers for you next week.

Hi Bruce, any official word yet?

DigiTechSupt
02-16-2001, 06:12 AM
-Digidesign will no longer be including the MAGMA 6-slot chassis (#PCI6DR), and the older MAGMA 7-slot chassis (#PCI7RX300V), in the test cycle for future Digidesign software releases, and therefore will not be able to officially support these chassis with Pro Tools software versions 5.1 and beyond. This in no way implies that they will not work with PT 5.1. It implies that these chassis were not put thru the strigent testing that Digi requires and therefore will not be included on the compatibility list for 5.1 (and beyond).

-However, the Digidesign support department will continue to provide Technical Support to Pro Tools 5.1 customers who are using either of these chassis while the problem is not related to a malfunctioning chassis.

Brent

snoopy
02-16-2001, 08:18 AM
Great to know this after I JUST bought one because the digi one wasn't supported with my machine (In other words the magma 7-slot was the only supported one on my machine).

Thanks guys, thanks a lot.

blairl
02-16-2001, 08:28 AM
Why?

I have used your products since 1991 and have been trying to stay up with your "compatability lists". I own a 7 slot Magma chasis because it was on the compatability list.

Here is my concern. Although you say:
-However, the Digidesign support department will continue to provide Technical Support to Pro Tools 5.1 customers who are using either of these chassis while the problem is not related to a malfunctioning chassis. my past experience with technical support indicates that this will be a problem. At times when I have fallen behind on the "compatability list" throughout the years, the very first thing some of the technical support people do is blame the problem on the item that is not on the compatability list and do not have a desire to continue to find the "real" problem. I know this may not be the case with all technical support individuals, but in my experience it has been the case many times. A few years ago I was using a CPU that expired from the compatability list and almost everytime I called tech support about a problem, a red flag would go up when they asked about my CPU and the problem was immediately blamed on the CPU. Many, many times I ended up having to figure out the problems on my own and in the end the problems had absolutely nothing to do with the CPU.

"Hi, my Pro Tools system keeps freezing on me."

"What's your configuration?"

"I'm using blah, blah, blah, and a Magma 7 slot chasis."

"Well, there's your problem, the Magma is not officially supported by digidesign!"

I can see it already. Please don't let the nightmare be repeated. Perhaps you might have a little meeting with the tech support personell to prevent such a thing.

So anyway, back to my original question:

Why have you decided to no longer test the Magam 7 slot chasis?

Samhein
02-16-2001, 11:26 AM
What?! Not supported? You had it on your compatibility site all this time. And suddenly, the new compatibility doc gets posted a few days back, and the unit is not supported anymore?

So who do we call for refunds? Magma or Digidesign?

You do realize this is not a US$10 product.

And what happens when version 5.2 or 5.5 comes out? You're going to drop endorsing the G4/466? This sucks!

snoopy
02-16-2001, 03:02 PM
And owners of a beige G3 cannot use any expansion chassis with 5.1. Wonderful...

AvidCS
02-16-2001, 04:00 PM
Here is the scoop folks. Although Digi will not be "officially supporting via our compatibility documents" the older Magma 6 and 7-slot chassis with PT 5.1 it is not due to any functional problem with these chassis. The reason for the change is that there are new MAGMA 7-slot rack-mount expansion chassis, models P7R-D1 and P7RQ-D1 coming to market that have replaced the older chassis in our compatibility testing grid. These new chassis are very similar to the older chassis, only incorporating some power supply advancements.

This announcement in no way implies that the older models will not work with PT 5.1. It means that due to the scope of testing required and the similarities to the new Magma chassis, these chassis were not put through the stringent testing that Digi requires for listing on the compato list for 5.1. These chassis did in fact go through basic testing, and no problems were found.

As you will notice in the last sentence of the announcement, Tech Support is still going to support PT 5.1 customers with these older chassis assuming that the problem is not related to a damaged or malfunctioning chassis. Rest assured that we will honor that commitment.

Bob Langlie
Director of Customer Service
Digidesign

Here's the full announcement:

Digidesign announces support for the new MAGMA 7-slot rack-mount expansion
chassis, models P7R-D1 and P7RQ-D1.

The new MAGMA 7-slot rack-mount expansion chassis, models P7R-D1 and
P7RQ-D1, are now officially supported with Pro Tools Mix and Mix Plus
systems! Additional requirements are Pro Tools software version 5.1, Mac
OS 9.x, and MAC B & W G3 or newer CPU. Both of these models include a
standard 1.0 meter expansion cable; optional configurations are available
with 1.5 meter cables. The P7RQ-D1 units provide for "quiet" operation
using "Silencer" power supplies. Digidesign will include these new models
in testing of future software releases.

At the same time, Digidesign will no longer be including the
MAGMA 6-slot chassis (#PCI6DR ), and the older MAGMA 7-slot chassis
(#PCI7RX300V), in the test cycle for future Digidesign software releases, and
therefore will not be able to officially support these chassis with Pro
Tools software versions 5.1 and beyond. However, the Digidesign support
department will continue to provide Technical Support to Pro Tools 5.1
customers who are using either of these chassis while the problem is not
related to a malfunctioning chassis.

blairl
02-16-2001, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by snoopy:
And owners of a beige G3 cannot use any expansion chassis with 5.1. Wonderful...

Is this true? 5.1 will not work with any chasis on a beige G3. Can someone from digidesign please say it isn't so?

AvidCS
02-16-2001, 05:11 PM
Yes, there are chassis that will work with a Beige G3.

Please see the configuration grid at:

http://www.digidesign.com/compato/pt24mixexpand.html

DigiCS

blairl
02-17-2001, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the link and the clarification.