PDA

View Full Version : PT 111 Owners -where's your Voice

K'Man
02-07-2001, 09:26 PM
I would like to add my voice to the list of those PT 111 owners who have spent a significant amount of money ( yes, I was a Nubus user who paid a LOT to upgrade to PCI ) and are faced with a huge u/grade cost or a redundant sytem. We have supported your company by buying and upgrading TDM hardware over MANY years - certainly way before the 001 brigade even put their hands anywhere near their wallets! I have used Pro Tools since version 3. I sell it. I install it. I support it. I advocate it! Don't make me redundant.

fatcatpost
02-08-2001, 10:14 AM
We obviously don't expect the same kind of performance and options that Mix users have, but to at least open up and work in 5.1 sessions is a must! Please enable the compatibility with PT III systems.

Jim Clark
02-08-2001, 11:11 AM
I was very happy that when PT 5.0 came out with usable MIDI features, I could finally ditch Cubase Audio. Granted the MIDI in PT was still basic, but I could work with both MIDI and Audio in one environment while composing, and stay in that environment throughout the tracking and mixing process. Cool!

So I was really anticipating the release of 5.1 with its enhanced MIDI features, stereo track support(finally!), and RTAS support etc.

Well, my spirits have been dashed by the news that my PTIII TDM system will not be able to take advantage of these features. PTIII is not supported!

I guess I could get an 001- oh, wait, I can't, because I primarily sync to picture...

Digi, I think you said it won't be initially supported, right? Could you reassure us that it WILL be supported and give us a general idea of when it might be supported.
3rd quarter 2001 or whatever?

That would ease the pain for me - a little.
I might even still upgrade now if that's the case - I am in the habit,after all these years http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif
Then I could look at the box on my shelf and know that soon, any day now, I'll be able to work just like those that have spent maybe 1/8th of what I have for their 001 systems.

My thought for the day...

smirky
02-08-2001, 01:26 PM
Count my vote!

It seems to me that 5.1 will require more Ram and a faster CPU to run than previous versions which is the natural order of things with upgrades.
I suspect that PT 111 systems just don't have the DSP to run it.

We may need to either invest in a very fast G4 with tons of Ram and rely heavily on the RTAS component or, it will just never work with these systems.
Perhaps a special build of 5.1 with some or the new features disabled is the answer.
fatcatpost is right - compatibility is paramount.
It would be a shame not to be able to open sessions created in PT 5.1LE becauce I'd liketo upgrade my home system too.

Stephen