PDA

View Full Version : DAE error -9204

spandol
02-06-2001, 02:12 PM
I get this error about 1/3 of the time. What does it mean?

"DAE error -9204 occurred on DSP #1 samplecell II #1"

After doing a search on the topic I found someone who set their memory to the minimum by entering 0 then return in the get info window but this did not help.

I also found where the problem could be in the card connecting ribbon but I haven't tried anything with this yet.

I'm using:
Apple G4/500 Single AGP
OS 9.0.4
Digidesign 13 slot expansion chassis with:
Mix Farm
2 older farms
Samplecell II

What does the error mean and how do I fix it?

Thanks,
Steve

spandol
02-06-2001, 02:37 PM
Today even though I got Pro Tools to start with no problems, I got a message when starting the Samplecell editor that There were problems communicating with the Samplecell card.

DigiTechSupt
02-07-2001, 07:15 AM
-Trash the DigiSetup File, Pro Tools preference, and DAE prefs (the entire folder) from the System Folder>Preferences folder. Empty the Trash and restart the Mac.

-Run DigiTest on the cards.

-Reseat and try different nodes of the TDM ribbon cable.

-What version of Pro Tools are you running?

Brent

spandol
02-07-2001, 02:03 PM
Hey Brent - Thanks for the help.

Ran Digitest after trashing prefs - States everything is ok. It does say the cards are misconfigured. I have my audio drives card (digidesign's ATTO) in my expansion chassis. I figure this is why I get the message. My Hard drives are racked right above my chassis so this really helps just attaching it here. Is this a major problem? Otherwise my cards are in this order.

1)Mix core
2)DSP farm II
3)DSP farm
4)Samplecell II

I will try and change the nodes making sure they are attached well.

Running Pro Tools 5.0.1

Thanks,
Steve

[This message has been edited by spandol (edited February 07, 2001).]

DigiTechSupt
02-08-2001, 06:14 AM
"I have my audio drives card (digidesign's ATTO) in my expansion chassis."

-Yes, this configuration will cause problems.

-The ATTO card should be installed in the host CPU in the following order:
1-AGP monitor card
2-Chassis Host card
3-empty
4-ATTO EPCI-DC

-The order of the Digi cards in the chassis is fine.

Brent

spandol
02-08-2001, 10:51 AM
Brent,

I have another ultra SCSI card that I use for my CD-R. Where should I put this card? Is it ok to use the empty slot that's left in the computer? Or is there a slot I can put it in in the chassis. I read in the manual about bus master cards so I am a little confused about where it can go.

Thanks for the help,
Steve

DigiTechSupt
02-09-2001, 06:46 AM
-To keep the PCI bus traffic at a minimum, I would refrain from installing a second SCSI card in the system.

-Instead, I connect all audio drives to one bus of the ATTO card and use the other for devices such as tape backup drives and CD Recorders.

-If you run into a situation where you will be interfaceing Wide and Narrow devices, makes sure the Wides go first, followed by the Narrows.

Brent

spandol
02-26-2001, 03:13 PM
Hi Brent.

I did all you suggested and things seem to be running smoothly. Digitest comes back with an a-ok as well. Hopefully those errors won't come up again. If they do I will write you back.

I had another question: Can I get longer SCSI to connect my drives to my ATTO card supplied by Digi? Or are the ones that come with the card as long as I can go. If I could get a bit longer ones it would really help my studio. I had to put my Glyph Trip in a bad spot to reach the ATTO card in my G4.

Thanks for the help!
Steve

[This message has been edited by spandol (edited February 26, 2001).]

DigiTechSupt
02-27-2001, 06:52 AM
-Single-Ended Wide SCSI (such as on an Adaptec or ATTO card) allows a _maximum_ cable length of 3 meters for 1 to 3 devices on a single bus. With 4 or more devices on a single bus, the total cable length must be reduced to 1.5 meters. In both cases, total cable length includes the cabling inside the CPU and drive enclosures.

-Cable lengths that extend beyond SCSI spec without using signal boosters could result in poor or erratic performance or even bus hangs.

-We do not offer longer cables, but you should be able to order one from Granite Digital at:
http://www.scsipro.com/

Brent