PDA

View Full Version : not clear...PT 5.1 ok w/PT III hardware?

Rader Ranch
02-06-2001, 01:43 PM
Hey Digi techs...checked the compatabilty section, (sure wish there were software links there too...besides mlcd), does 5.1 work with PTIII hardware? and any info about eventual lack of support (timetable) for the older pci hardware like this would be much appreciated.

thanx....

mike connelly
02-06-2001, 03:36 PM
Last word from digi was no. (but they may try and make it work after the initial release)

Mike

Jim Clark
02-06-2001, 07:03 PM
I sure would like to see them make 5.1 compatible with PTIII. This'll be the first upgrade I missed in 5 years...

DigiTechSupt
02-07-2001, 07:25 AM
-Disk I/O hardware will not be compatible with the initial release of Pro Tools 5.1.

Brent

Rader Ranch
02-07-2001, 10:12 AM
thanx Brent....perhaps you could point Bruce over here as well, so we could find out if any support is intended?

it'd be a shame if PTLE folks w/just an AM III could get the benefits of stereo tracks, multiple undo's, auto saving, midi xtras and so on that we've been asking for for quite awhile, while those of us who in the recent past certainly made more of an initial investment, and have 'pro' devices like 888's and dsp farms, have no upgrade path cheaper than a few thousand dollars...

K'Man
02-07-2001, 09:20 PM
I would like to add my voice to the list of those PT 111 owners who have spent a significant amount of money ( yes, I was a Nubus user who paid a LOT to upgrade to PCI ) and are faced with a huge u/grade cost or a redundant sytem. We have supported your company by buying and upgrading TDM hardware over MANY years - certainly way before the 001 brigade even put their hands anywhere near their wallets! I have used Pro Tools since version 3. I sell it. I install it. I support it. I advocate it! Don't make me redundant.

fatcatpost
02-08-2001, 10:14 AM
We obviously don't expect the same kind of performance and options that Mix users have, but to at least open up and work in 5.1 sessions is a must! Please enable the compatibility with PT III systems.

DigiTechSupt
02-09-2001, 06:27 AM
-We currently do not have PTIII hardware working with our upcoming Pro Tools 5.1 release. Given the current time frame and programing/test schedules,
PTIII hardware support will not be available in this initial release. We hope to be able to add single disk I/O PTIII support to Pro Tools 5.1 at a later date.

-Unfortunately, I do not have any timeframe as to when this will happen.

Brent

TMS
02-10-2001, 12:27 AM
It was bound to happen. I'm in the same boat as the other folks on this thread. Spent a fair amount of money keeping my system up an running from the nubus days. I wonder if Digi knows just what system the majority of registered users have? It seems inconsivable that there are more 24bit mix plus users out there than PT 3. Just a matter of economics. Of course, I've been wrong before. Oh well, so my PT3 pci tdm system officially became a paper weight.

Cheers Craig

K'Man
02-11-2001, 07:05 PM
Thanks Brent. We all "hope" too.

Felix
02-13-2001, 11:33 AM
wow, its great to finally hear other PTIII are even out there. every once in a month or two, a thread like this gets posted. since no one responds when i write, I'll just stay tuned with you people to help keep this thread going. PTIII users really have been keeping very silent and low-key about this issue. its not surprising that nothing's been getting done.

dale cotton
02-13-2001, 04:45 PM
I'm another PT III hardware user who is upset
with digi's non support of my hardware platform.
One of the things that sold me on protools was
digi's software and hardware upgrade
paths.Has this now ended because i have not
spent a bunch of money on digi in the last few
years ?

This needs to be adressed .... and soon.

The Reducer
02-14-2001, 03:32 PM
Remember back in the day hen they said our PT III cards would work when they switched to 24 bit? or was that a vicious rumor? i want to know if this 5.1 w/ PT III will be supported too, i ned more MIDI implementation...more windows & editing capabilities like Studio Vision...more key commands,etc. PLEASE!

Jim Clark
02-14-2001, 04:09 PM
Brent,

This we know http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/grin.gifisk "I/O hardware will not be compatible with the initial release of Pro Tools 5.1"

We PTIII users are already hobbled compared to our Mix counterparts. No direct connect, no 24 bit, inability to use certain plug-ins, etc.

PLEASE DON'T TAKE US OUT OF THE MIDI LOOP, TOO!

This surely can't be a hardware issue, can it?
If it is, give me the bad news and I'll deal with it. But if it's more of a marketing thing to force the upgrade path, or whatever, then I have a problem with that.
Talk to me...
As of now, I can't run PT5.1 on my PTIII system. You are saying
"We hope to be able to add single disk I/O PTIII support to Pro Tools 5.1 at a later date. Unfortunately, I do not have any timeframe as to when this will happen."

This is not very reassuring for those of us who have been around awhile, and can read between the lines. (I imagine most PTIII TDM users have been at it for some time.)

Can you dig a little bit and find out exactly what you are going to do for your PTIII users?

Words like "hope" and "may" and "possibly" add up to zero for me.

Regards,

Jim Clark

Felix
02-14-2001, 08:20 PM
now that's more like it! well put

SteveGarman
02-14-2001, 08:33 PM
My dealer told me that 5.1 would run on my PTIII system, I just wouildn't have the dolby digital 5.1 capability. I could live with that, but not with no workee asnd all!!!
What does single disk I/O mean? I have one 9 gig partitioned into three letter drives. Would they all work like they do now? Would ANY of 5.1 work on the PTIII rig or would it work and just not be supported? Why won't it work? We need some answers here. Surely Digi is not sooo far AVID that they no longer care! (Yes I know it's a low blow, but have we come to that)?

theguest
02-15-2001, 01:00 AM
You have all voiced my concerns to great effect.

Digi, PT111 isn't that old. I mean it couldn't have been more than 2 1/2 years back that I spent over $20,000 on 2 x PT111 core cards, 3 vintage farms and 2 x 882 converters.

Give us the software.

Give us the upgrade path you speak boast of.

Give us the support.

I implore all PT111 users to repond to this post.

Its not our fault that PT111 users were in the right spot at the right time.

If it is possible that the software can be written to support PT111 than it is your reponsibility to write that support.

Technology propaganda tells us that 2 1/2 years in computers is centurys.

But for people it's a month or two.

Mick F. Cantarella
02-15-2001, 07:48 PM
I just upgraded my 9600/PTIII Mac in anticipation of the 5.1 release. Add my name to this list. -Mick

theguest
02-15-2001, 07:56 PM
I'm running PT111 on a 9600, the same machine alot of people are running mix plus on. It has PCI slots just like a G4.

Sarcasm; the lowest form of wit. http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/wink.gif

kperry
02-16-2001, 12:13 AM
Yeah! Why won't 5.1 run on my NuBus 8100/110 with 442???? http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

kperry
02-16-2001, 10:25 AM
I was trying to make the not-so-subtle point that we're probably going to have to upgrade our hardware at some point.....