PDA

View Full Version : I absolutely HATE Apple!

Corey Shay
02-05-2001, 01:02 PM
This is really getting on my nerves. I just got my G4 back after it died. It had a fried motherboard. I got it replaced at CompUSA. Turnaround time was a week. A long time to be without PT. After getting it back, I found the problem was only partially emiminated.

Whenever I have to reboot, the machine dies. I get strange beep tones. If I shut it off, and turn it back on, I get no beep, and no power light. If I wait 10 minutes or so, and turn it back on I can usually get it to boot for some reason, but it reported that the built-in memory detected a problem with the cache memory.

I call back Apple tech support, and they are absolutle clueless and offer no help whatsoever. I am relatively sure that this message means the cache memory on the CPU is bad, which means I probably need a new CPU. If I tell the tech guy that I know it's definitely a hardware problem, he says, well it might be, take it into a service center and they will find that out for you. Oh damn them all! I don't appreciate being treated like a computer illiterate moron, I am a very experienced PC tech, and am very accostomed to first of all not having tech problems like these - I never had a motherboard OR a CPU die on me in the PC world, and secod of all haveing any parts that do die being readily available at minimal cost and getting the added benefit of newer technology.

My G4 works for now, but sometimes it crashes for no reason and it gets difficult to get it started again. Pro Tools also has a tendency to really weird out. I do want to take it in again only to wait another week or more. I know what the problem is and I want another damn CPU so I can install the freakin thing myself!! I don't care I know Macs are different than PC's, but how do you think I learned to fix PC's? You find the screws and take em out!

Any suggestions?