PDA

View Full Version : 2 22" LCD screens - Possible ?

Charles Deenen
02-04-2001, 10:57 AM
Is it possible to use two 22" apple LCD screens on a G4 and still be able to run protools ? The jeronomo card (I believe) doesn't support these 22" screens too well, and if it does, it's only through analog (I might be completely wrong though!).

Anybody any insight / input ?

Mount Royal
02-04-2001, 11:36 AM
This has been discussed in the DUC quite a few times in recent months. Search under "Cinema Display" and you'll find posts which discuss this. The upshot, at present, is that there is no way to do what you propose using off-the-shelf hardware and cabling. The Jeronimo is a VGA output; while you need not only a digital output, but a video card which supports the proprietary ADC, the Apple Disply Connector. Your search will disclose workarounds that some have proposed.

May I suggest you follow this issue into the next several months, as there is reason to believe that products will be available to permit what you, and many others, hope to do.

John Caldwell

trevorM
02-04-2001, 01:16 PM
Possible-YES

After days of trying to solve a similar problem myself I have found the answer.

Gefen are relasing on the 1st of march a DVI to ADC converter which will allow you to connect an apple monitor featuring ADC to your computer.

The problem is you cant use the DIGI recomended Appian card. But all you really need is a second computer graphics card that featured DVI on it... I know for a fact alot of people are using a non digi specified graphics card...

I hope this helps
trevor

If you have any further questions feel free to email me:
[email protected]

http://www.Gefen.com/products/extendit/new_kvm_usb_extenders_switches/dvi_to_adc/in dex.html (http://www.Gefen.com/products/extendit/new_kvm_usb_extenders_switches/dvi_to_adc/index.html)

[This message has been edited by trevorM (edited February 04, 2001).]

Disco_Doctor
02-05-2001, 04:42 AM
They've indefinitely delayed the release of that product because they are redesigning it. That's the word I got straight from the source. I'm really bummed about it...

http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif

robdarling
02-05-2001, 07:37 AM
Worse than the connection problem is the dreaded 6204- pci bus overload/busy/unreliable. I have a pair of SGI flatpanels (also 1280x1024) and protools doesn't like them. It doesn't even like one of them when track counts get high and the dsp is torqued. This is with a G4450dp. My old beige desktop g3 was fine. Is there any word yet on what the new 4-slot boxes are doing?

Charles Deenen
02-05-2001, 08:07 AM
I got word from Gefen (thanks to TrevorM) that they have a solution (ADC to DVI convertors/extenders), but they're over $2500 each. I hope somebody else is going to make these convertors soon. Darn apple again with their proprietary connectors.

[This message has been edited by Charles Deenen (edited February 05, 2001).]

Charles Deenen
02-05-2001, 08:06 PM
thanks Bryan. Yes, I was aware of these 2, but I need to extend around 40 feet. 18 feet won't reach the machine-room. It seems that I still have 1 more problem: no dual-monitor DVI or ADC cards available yet.
-cd

Bryan
02-06-2001, 12:50 AM
Charles,

Actually, Gefen has or will have two methods of extending ADC (from what I understand):

1. The military-standard fiber optic version is indeed $2700 bucks and will shoot the signal 300 feet.

2. Realworld version that converts ADC to DVI, extends and DVI cable (only a max of 18 feet) to a DVI to ADC convertor (which provides power) into your adc monitor. Don't know how the integral USB is handled...I've asked, waiting for a reply.

Charles Deenen
04-19-2001, 07:17 PM
Check out www.inlineinc.com. (http://www.inlineinc.com.) 30-75 feet DVI extenders that are much cheaper than Gefen's $2500 DVI extender.

-charles

Bryan
04-20-2001, 07:56 AM
I have the new Gefen box, but it will only go about 12 feet. The longer DVI cable I purchased (to give me a total of 18 feet) results in some serious but 'workable' digital noise. I'm going to buy one of those Inline cables and see if it does any better.

B

Rollerex
04-20-2001, 02:54 PM
A company in Los Angeles is working on a 2 Cinema Display card.
A few problems they are having is with the computer having enough USB power for 2 monitors. I told them a external power supply would be O.K. what do you think?

Charles Deenen
04-20-2001, 05:57 PM
to me personally, that would be fine. I'm after the screen extension and dual card, not the USB extension part of it.

-cd