PDA

View Full Version : Dsp,plugins,limitations.and other blah

digigirly
02-03-2001, 02:05 PM
dsp,plugins,limitations.
Could it be possible that digi is assaulting sabotage on their own cards by artificialy limiting the power,and forcing PT users to buy more cards and more plugins.At least their plugin sharing management is suspicious.
Like Bruce Paine said.Digi is a company
got'em.
Just a simple theory,but a theory
love Digigirly

nrgmusic
02-04-2001, 01:49 AM
Hmmmmm Interesting?:

Arno Peeters
02-04-2001, 03:21 PM
You go girl !
Wasn't it strange that an Audiomedia III card 'all of a sudden' can do realtime plugins, 24 instead of 8 channels, just by installing 5.01 ? Sure: why not save some of the goodies until time is right ?

Or am I full of it ?

------------------
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions (http://www.tapetv.nl)

digigirly
02-04-2001, 03:42 PM
Arno,
It's surely strange that no one before has mentioned this issue.or should I say no man ?

Viva Girlpower!!
Think it's time to reveal my identity,so I can run away with all the fame, glory and maybe a free pleasedonttellanyonedspcard Hail,hail

Kisses to ya all
digigirly

F Umminger
02-04-2001, 07:28 PM
I hate to ruin the beautiful conspiracy theory, but just because something has been improved does not mean that we were "holding out" the first time. Usually it means that it has taken that long to do the necessary work, and to do all of the other important work that was a higher priority. Just because something can be done in software does not mean that it is easy or that it is the best use of our resources.

A case in point is MultiShell II, which is much better than MultiShell I in a number of respects. This is not because we held back improvements. Rather, it is because we did not get them done (or even started) in time for the first release. Rather than holding things back, we actually released MultiShell as soon as possible, before we had made it as good as we knew we could, so that our customers could start reaping its benefits immediately.

As for the amount of work: MultiShell II took approximately a years worth of work from one of our engineers. This is on top the of roughly 6 months of work by another engineer to do MultiShell I. It wasn't trivial.

In all honesty, our competition is too stiff for us to hold back features until later. It would be wonderful if we could, but we can't.

Frederick Umminger
Digidesign Plugin Engineer

Digital Sound Lab
02-05-2001, 12:48 AM
I have felt the same way. 5.1 looks promissing.
I think that the 5.1 version will have a muti shell 2 thing that will alow Digidesign and third party plugins to share the same DSP chip. Plus the addition of RTAS and soon OSX.