PDA

View Full Version : Why am I getting a delay when recording?

amiller
02-02-2001, 05:34 PM
I'm running a 24 mix plus on a G3 with 8.6 MAC OS and with increasing frequency now, when I go to record (apple/Space bar) it's taking 5 seconds to begin recording. Is there some sort of preference file I'm missing or need to throw away? There's no default setting I can find, no preroll, etc... The cursor just holds its position for 5 seconds, then records.

uno1234
02-03-2001, 06:50 AM
Go to preferences/operation: limit record time to

set the box to 10 mins. It's because you have large HFS+ drives and the system is trying to allocate the entire drive for recording.

Or your midi countoff became engaged when you accidentally hit the 8 key on the key pad in command focus mode.

Danny Caccavo
02-03-2001, 09:20 AM
....or you've got the midi click/preroll turned on by accident.

Change the transport window view to include this, and turn it off.

Unless it's the other problem...

dc

amiller
02-04-2001, 02:15 PM
Thanx folks, you were right on the money. The MIDI preroll was accidently engaged. It's funny, we don't use any midi at our studio so after more than 2 years, you still find more things out about PT.

jimmycrack
02-04-2001, 04:50 PM
There should be a way to completely disable MIDI in ProTolls. We just encountered this same problem. It seems that someone in our studio trashed the ProTools prefs so the number keys went to the default (which isn't the classic mode). All you have to do is hit the number 8 key and you get this stupid midi pre-roll activated. Why doesn't the midi counter show that it is counting off these bars? Secondly, why aren't these "quick" keys shown in any menu.

uno1234
02-04-2001, 07:08 PM
I know-- it sucks--- I trashed all the prefs, zapped the pram, and reseated the cables before I figure this stupid 8 key out. But the fact is, disabling midi would still be stored in your prefs file, so even if some shmuck deletes the prefs, you would have to reset them.

It would be nice if you could save the master prefs in the system drive or on a zip disk, and then drop them into the prefs folder when you want to work the way you want to work... is this possible? Would be great for walking around the strange PT setups and working in your own way... maybe it's an OS incompatibility.