PDA

View Full Version : OS disc crash - help!

LarsRec
01-31-2001, 06:19 AM
while installing a Waves 3.0 update my main IDE drive containing my OS crashed. I booted up using my OS 9.04 disc but it can't mount the drive. Using Apple's Disc First Aid it says "invalid PEOF, 7666, 424 cannot repair." Any ideas about what happened and how I can recover the disc?????

DigiTechSupt
01-31-2001, 08:51 AM
Although I have no idea what causes this, I have experienced a similar problem with my ATA System Drive on my Beige G3.

-The drive would not be recognized when booting up off the Mac OS 9 CD (it would tell me the disk is unreadable, and do I want to format it). However, the Mac OS 8.6 CD recognized it, no problem.

-The only way I got things working again was by initializing with Apple Drive Setup in a particular manner:
-Launch Drive Setup
-Highlight the drive from the list, click "Initialize."
-Click "Initialize" and do not click "Customize"
-For whatever reason, initializing after going into the Customize window did not fully initialize the drive...I'm still puzzled at this.
-You may also want to initialize the drive multiple times...Again, I have no explanation but problems didn't return after repeating the process.

Brent

LarsRec
01-31-2001, 11:02 AM
Thanks Brent. Did you lose all the data? I hate to lose authorizations, Retrospect directories, etc.

shaggy
01-31-2001, 04:55 PM
Have you tried Norton 5.0 ?

Tech Tool Pro 3.0 ?

DiskWarrior 2.0 ?

All three contain 9.x boot systems on CD.

New G-4 "option" key boot (select CD)

Old G-4/3 9600 "C" key

My guess Norton...BUT DO NOT USE 4.2 or earlier

LarsRec
01-31-2001, 07:33 PM
Thanks for your reply. Norton 6.0 is coming via FedEx in the a. m. so I'll give that a try before I put in a new drive.

DigiTechSupt
02-01-2001, 05:25 AM
-Although I scanned for Viruses (which were present on some key disks) but not on my drives, I ended wiping the drive anyway. Luckily, no audio/session data was lost....just the Mac OS and applications which was easily remedied by reinstalling.

-Since the PACE copy protection will survive disk initializations, I didn't deauthorize before initializing, nor did I lose any keys in the process.

Brent