PDA

View Full Version : Stuttery Picture with Miro DC30+

GrandPimp
01-29-2001, 02:48 PM
Are there any settings I should know about to optimize the quality of my picture? I'm using the Miro DC30+ card, but sometimes if I'm doing intensive work (e.g. recording on 10 tracks simulatneously or working with lots of DSP) the picture gets a little stuttery.

I have a PT24/Mix running on the new line G4/450 single-processor with 384 megs of RAM. My system also uses a 7-slot SBS Expansion Chassis, 2 Glyph hot swaps, 888, 1622 and ProControl. I'm putting my sesssions on the Glyphs and my picture on the IDE drive.

I'm capturing in Premeier at 640x480 using the Miro card's composite NTSC input. I capture at 29.97 and compress using the MiroMotion JPEG A codec.

I've noticed that my video files are huge, something like 150 megs for a 30 second piece of video. I think this is part of the problem. I'm not a video guy, but I read something about data rate not exceeding the limit of my computer's data bus(?). Don't really know what that means. I've also read a lot about keyframes, compression codecs and rendering parameters that make my head spin. Can anyone spare a clue as to how I can make my picture smoother?

Lee Blaske
01-29-2001, 04:39 PM
Try knocking down the size of the file, and see if the playback improves.

320X240 with a data rate of 1,000k/sec plays back fine on my DC30+ (in a 9600/350).

The new machines haven't been out long. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a new driver from Miro forthcoming.

Lee Blaske

georgia
01-29-2001, 04:48 PM
simple trick...
send the video to an external monitor...

move the movie window to the very vert bottom of the screen so that only a tiny tiny bit of the picture shows below the window bar. Just enough to get the picture to actually run.

then make sure the MOVIE track is hidden

sorry if you already knew this..

also make sure you capture at low res with 320x240 size...

cheers

georgia