PDA

View Full Version : My 001 is more powerful than a TDM

Dopamine
01-28-2001, 11:36 AM
Check it out: I've been using an 001 w/ my G4/450 since they came out. Recently, I moved my setup to another studio, and they gave me a mix card, 888 and Ultra SCSI card and Cheetah drive.

What I experience is that my TDM plug-in count is less than half of what I'm used to with RTAS. How can this be? By the way, I have 512 MB of ram with 50 to PT and 70 to DAE.

I've followed all of digi's recommendations toward optimizing performance. But once I get around 5 plug-ins opened I get an out of DSP errror. If anyone could offer any advice I would be most appreciative.

tld
01-29-2001, 12:08 AM
If you're talking about just one Mix card (ie a standard Mix system, not Mix Plus) your plugin count is a bit limited, especially if you use plugs that eat a whole chip. This is simply a function of how many DSP chips you have (6 on a mix card).

Remember, with a TDM system your paying for the low latency realtime plugins etc...but to have a serious plugin count using DSP hungry plugins, you definately need to throw some cards at it.

Remember though, 5.1 will let you mix TDM and RTAS plugins.

Tom

[This message has been edited by tld (edited January 28, 2001).]

swablar
01-29-2001, 10:38 AM
The real question is, what plug ins are you using? and how many?
You said 5 plugins.

When you use D2 (ex.) it reserves that DSP chip for D2 plug ins only. You will be able to get many more on the same chip.
If you're talking bomb factory, then you are very limited. Watch the DSP allocation window (com+7) when you add plugins to see your available space.
also, the Mix cards have differnet types of DSP chips. certain plug ins require certain chips. WYou will nto be able to get 5 Bomb Factory or Lexiverb on one card. However, you could get tons of other plugins..

Dopamine
01-30-2001, 12:19 AM
So I guess my only question is when is 5.1 going to be available?

Conscious Structure
01-30-2001, 10:45 PM
Tony is that you?
When did you get a Mix system?

------------------
Dave Belazis
Conscious Productions
Conscious Studios