PDA

View Full Version : errors -110002, -6004

mfife
01-26-2001, 09:44 AM
Recently, my system has been failing during Pro Tools sessions with the error message -110002 (...can't communicate with hardware, or some such) followed by -6004 (asking me to save, quit, restart).

The 888 loops the same chunk of audio and repeats the error messages until I quit.
G4 sawtooth,OS9.0.4, 256Mb, Protools 5.0.1, mix system, 888-24, ATTO SCSI, Aurora Fuse.
No hardware changes were made to the system before the problem showed up; All software changes have been eliminated as the cause.

What causes these errors?

john a
01-31-2001, 07:15 PM
bump

DigiTechSupt
02-01-2001, 05:10 AM
I'm not sure what causes these errors, but try the following:

-Trash the DigiSetup File, Pro Tools preference, and DAE prefs (the entire folder) from the System Folder>Preferences folder. Empty the Trash and restart the Mac. When you go back into Pro Tools, do so from the Pro Tools Application Icon and not by double clicking on a session.

-Run DigiTest on the cards.

-Open the Extensions Manager Control Panel. From the selected set pop-up menu, select “OS 9.x base” click on “Duplicate Set" at the bottom of the window. Name the set whatever you like. Enable the following extensions and restart the computer:
-Digidesign Control Panel
-DigiSystem INIT
-Digidesign DSP Manager
-Digidesign Stream Manager (only if using DirectConnect)
-Fuse Drivers
-Open Music System
-USB Floppy Enabler

-Open the Sound Control Panel and set the output to "Built-In"

-You may have a corrupt session. Launch Track Transfer (Digidesign>Pro Tools>Pro Tools Utilities), move the tracks into a new session document, open the new session in Pro Tools and see if the error persists.

Brent

stuart newman
02-01-2001, 06:53 PM
Digi Tech,

It seems to me that the -11002 error is becoming the next '-6042'.

At the end of 1999, our facility experienced a major loss of business regarding this error. Now, my hotmail inbox is constantly filling up with other user's mail, frantically looking for answers to get their systems working.

Many times over the last few months I have posted concerns for Digidesigns lack of involvement in this issue.
Every post I have made has seemed to be ignored by Digidesign.

I know, from considerable time spent talking with Digidesign technical staff, that this error is VERY hard to define.
But what really bothers me about this situation, is that I am forced to find my own solution to a problem that has NEVER been my responsibility. I say this in the confidence of following very carefully, Digidesigns compatibility requirements, and doing everything in my power to provide a stable platform for the ProTools system.

I ask Digidesign to reply.

Stuart

mfife
02-02-2001, 02:04 PM
I've tried all of your suggestions, Digidesign.
The problem is intermittent and only began happening last month. It happens with a number of different sessions. Sometimes I go for days with no failure, sometimes I get 5 or 6 in one day.
It does not seem to be related to any corrupted sessions or files.

It appears that I am not the only customer to be plagued by these errors. Small comfort, it might mean I am not insane.

[This message has been edited by mfife (edited February 02, 2001).]

swablar
02-02-2001, 02:26 PM
Have you replaced DAE, Digisystem INIT, and DPS Manager?
who knows, worth a shot.

mfife
02-06-2001, 09:53 AM
I did all the standard, non-specifics that are always mentioned whenever a problem crops up with ProTools.

I don't understand why a straight answer can't be given by a Digidesign tech.

I would like to hear something like:"error 11002 is caused by <blank> and suggests a possible <blank>"

stuart newman
02-07-2001, 02:36 PM
Mfife,

Please follow this link and witness the continual ignorance of Digi Tech Support on this subject.

http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/002908.html

Although I cannot find the thread, Digi did explain to me what the -11002 error is. From my recollection, it has something to do with the DSP cards sending data to the host CPU for meter display updates etc... basically a red herring, they don't really have an explanation.

I have come to a disturbing conclusion about this error Mfife, Digidesign don't like these third party capture cards. Digi compatibility documents only offer support for relatively old drivers, so it is easy to see they are not keeping an up-to-date testing regime for this hardware... why? Because Digidesign want you to buy their AV option cards. You'll have no problem getting support for that hardware, it costs over 16 times that of a fuse card, (admittedly offering far greater functionality). This is sadly a classic marketing case of users like ourselves being considered 'too small-a-fish' in the pond.
It's great marketing strategy from Digidesign, but it's insulting that we can tear our hair out over this issue and have no reply from a company we have invested thousands of dollars in for their premise of a working professional audio system.

I still think your only way around this issue is to reinitialise your HD and reinstall all software from scratch. After I carried this out, my problems have dissappeared. However, the error did come back twice, and after going through the same procedure each time, I have a reliable PT's system.

stuart newman
02-07-2001, 02:45 PM
This is a test

mfife
02-07-2001, 06:09 PM
thanks, stuart, for pointing me to that thread.

After my current project is complete (not until April), I'll yank the Fuse card and work with our Doremi V1 for a while to see if the 11002's go away.

Meanwhile, anyone out there getting the 11002's who isn't using Fuse? How about ATTO, or other SCSI cards?

[This message has been edited by mfife (edited February 07, 2001).]

Kenshiro
02-08-2001, 02:29 PM
I have very serious problems with -11002...sometimes I get this error several times a day during a session and sometimes everything goes well...

I never trashed Digisetup or made all the other things Digi says, so it's not a problem of faulty hardware, or corrupted session or corrupted files or any other stuff like this. Even changing Fuse drivers cannot solve the problem (now they are on 2.0)

It's simply the Fuse doesn't work correctly with ProTools 5.01; or better say that ProTools 5.01 doesn't work with Fuse. Everything was fine with 4.3.2 (except for the limit of the lenght of the movies - a problem of ProTools and not Quicktime as Digi always told us)

By the way, when launching ProTools 5.01 I always get a window saying:"this demo copy is expired, contact Digi" and so on...This is another story, but it says a lot about how Digi checks the software.

I asked several times explanations from Digi about -11002 error but I was simply ignored. So i'm just living with this error; when it happens and have a client near me I simply tell him that Digi cannot explain the error, reboot and continue to work.

Waiting and praying for a new (working!) HD recording system on the market - I'w very curious for the new Mackie 24/96....