PDA

View Full Version : PACE keys and initializing/resizing partitions?

Baixo
01-23-2001, 10:02 AM
Is there a way to resize a partition on a disk that contains PACE keys and not blow away the keys? My PT SW partition is 400 MB and I'm upping it to accommodate 5.1 and plug-ins, etc. Can this be done or do I have to go through the wretched business of de-authorising?

DigiTechSupt
01-23-2001, 11:28 AM
-Reinitializing the drive is the only way to modify your parition map. However, the PACE copy protection we use is capable of surviving a hard disk initialization.

-Since I am partial to the "better safe than sorry" cliche, I always recommend deauthorizing plug-ins and software before initializing.

-However, I have initialized my drive without deauthorizing (I had a virus and didn't want my key disks to get infected) and did not experience any lost keys.

Brent

Arno Peeters
01-23-2001, 03:02 PM
will you have to re-authorize them ?
I authorized my G4 drive on another computer...and still haven't bought a floppy-drive.

OT: Is there any official 'Digi's Do's & Don't's' on HFS vs. HFS+ ?
Someone told me HFS+ is less reliable for audio ? this true ?

------------------
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions (http://www.tapetv.nl)

DigiTechSupt
01-24-2001, 01:13 PM
Baxio,
-Since HD Drivers from different manufacturers (Apple, FWB, ATTO, etc) are all different sizes, simply updating the HD driver without initializing can cause problems.

-If you want/need to update your HD Drivers, reinitialize the drive with the desired utiliy.

-HFS+ formatted drives do in fact take longer to "prime" for recording. However, you can reduce this delay by reducing the "Open Ended Record Allocation" value in the Setups>Preferences>Operation window from unlimited to 10-20 mins.

-I have had great results running 2, 9GB DigiDrives with HFS+ formatting.

Brent

Baixo
01-24-2001, 02:53 PM
I just found something out the hard way:

PACE keys are NOT preserved if you re-initialize with a DIFFERENT utility. I originally formatted my Apple internal with FWB and wanted to go over to Apple drivers for ease, and besides, it's recommended by Digidesign. I re-init'd w/ Drive setup and lost it all.

Fortunately, I have a partition image file from FWB and so I am re-creating the original drive's partition map with FWB again (No apple drivers for me, I suppose). I then copied the image file back and all is lovely. I was then able to resize the partition without jacking with the keys, which, I assume, are on the beginning of the disk.

Thus endeth the lesson.

Baixo
01-25-2001, 12:43 AM
Thanks, Brent. I'll try that today.

Oh, here's another related question: I can't change the disk drivers back to Apple from HDT can I? If I reinitialized with Drive Setup (it was HDT format but I wanna get back to apple drivers for the internal disk) I hope the keys should survive that...

Arno, I know that HFS+ takes forever to prime before recording, which, I should think, is reason enough to reinitialize in HFS standard.