PDA

View Full Version : Disk errors-9073 drive too slow

livstone
01-23-2001, 04:33 AM
I recently have been getting these errors (9073) from my Pro Tools 24 system. I have never been receiving these before and now all of a sudden I am getting them. It seems that if I start a song from the beginning it runs fine but if I start it anywhere in the middle of the song I get these errors about 3 seconds later.

I am using a G3 upgraded 9600 with a 2940UW scsi card that has a Micropolis 9 gig drive attached to it. I recently added a Quantum drive attached to the external computer scsi port and I seem to be getting the same message when I try to run files off of the quantum drive. Both of these drives are running at 7200 RPM.

The only other recent change I made was about 1 1/2 months ago I added an expansion chassis (SBS bit 3) and moved all of the digi stuff into there (D24 and 2 vintage farms).

These files don't have alot of edits in them and they are less than 20 tracks so if anyone can give some insight on why these drives are not playing these files correctly please let me know.

Thanks

livstone
01-23-2001, 04:36 AM
By the way I have experimented with the DAE buffer size but it doesn't solve the problem.

livstone
01-23-2001, 04:41 AM
I have also used Norton Disk doctor and the drive has been defragmented with no help. I have 256 meg of Ram and I am using system 8.6. The G3 upgrade is an XLR8 Zif with a G3 450 mhz processor. The stock computer is a 9600/350.

JLEpperson
01-23-2001, 07:49 AM
I had the same problem. It ended up being one of my harddrives. The drive scanned ok. It wasnt until I tried to reformat all drives with Express Pro Toos 2.4.1, that I found the drive problem.
Good Luck
JE

swablar
01-23-2001, 08:42 AM
20 tracks off the Mac scsi buss could give you a legitimate 9073.

Have you ever reinstalled the firmware on your 2940? The last one made was 4.1 and the Power Domain Control Panel you'd want is 5.1.
Remember to set the transfer speed to
Fast scsi:10

Playback buffer should be fine at 2, where it should be.

What are the drives initiialize with? Atto? FWB?
If you have to think about it, re-initialize them. If you use Attp Express Pro Tools 2.3.2, remember to use the "erase Disk" function first, which erases old hard disk drivers.

few ideas anyway

livstone
01-23-2001, 11:31 AM
I have tried to search the adaptec sit e for firmware updates but the search doesn't bring anything up (matches). I did however download the latest power domain control panel but this gives me an error message stating that my firmware needs to be updated. It says that I have 3.0 and that I need to have 4.1 to use this. (Power domain 6.1.1.)

If you have any any info on exactly where I can get these from adaptec items from please email them or the location to me at [email protected].

My drives are formatted with FWB toolkit. The session that I was doing was actually all on one drive (the microtek) and it was functioning properly before. Is the Express Pro Tools downloadable from the site? I will have to do a search and see and if so I will try reinitiallizing one of my drives and see if that works.

Thanks for the input JL and Swabbler.

Rail Jon Rogut
01-23-2001, 11:54 PM
Try putting the session's fade files on a separate drive -- if you have the whole session on one drive with lots of x-fades, you may get this error.

Rail

------------------
Recording Engineer

livstone
01-24-2001, 04:36 AM
I finally found the firmware on the adaptec site-( Thanks to a couple of nice workers over at adaptec). But now after I had done the firmware update I cannot start from the drive that was connected to the card. Anybody have any idea how to clear this?

Also for anyone else who has to get this update go to-http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=77. This is the flashrom page for Version tracker. The home page for is http://www.versiontracker.com/.

So as it stands I don't know if this solved my problem yet becaus I need to start up from the drive attached to the card. I will be soing some research later today but if anyone has any insite on this please reply to this topic.

Thanks for all who have helped.

livstone

Treble Hum
01-24-2001, 06:56 AM
I had the same errors too. Said my hard drive was too slow or too fragamented. Something like that. I found out that the problem was caused by too many tiny (and I mean tiny) regions. Some of the regions I couldn't even see they were so small. Try highlighting an entire region that has multiple regions in it, go to your Audiosuite plug-ins and click on "Duplicate". Make sure that the "use in playlist" button is enabled. What this does is make one big region instead of having a bunch of little ones. Try it, it worked for me. So maybe it will work for you. Good luck.

livstone
01-27-2001, 02:18 PM
The power domain control seems to have solved the 9073 errors but I am still having problems since then booting from the drive attached to the scsi card. It just won't do it without me literally jumping through hoops. If anyone has any info on correcting this please let me know.

thanks

Giulio
01-27-2001, 05:31 PM
Have you tried formatting the drive with another utility?

Rail Jon Rogut
01-28-2001, 01:28 PM
Which version of FWB do you have? And I'd try updating the drive's driver as my first step.

Rail

------------------
Recording Engineer

livstone
01-28-2001, 07:29 PM
The version I have is 2.5. Do you suggest I upgrade or should I use another utility?

Rail Jon Rogut
01-28-2001, 10:05 PM
I use FWB 3.0.2 with my 9600/NewerTech G3, 3940UW and 6 removable Cheetah drives under OS 8.6 and everything works well.

I'd suggest upgrading and updating the drives' drivers.

Rail

------------------
Recording Engineer

livstone
01-29-2001, 12:57 AM
No I have not tried that. I originally had this drive on system 8.0 which was upgraded to 8.5 and it was then that I first noticed that I had the problem with starting up from the scsi card drive. I somehow had corrected that and it was working properly until I upgraded the firmware on the scsi card. I may have to give it a shot if this persist.

thanks

livstone