PDA

View Full Version : Bounce results in Spikes

rosindabow
01-22-2001, 12:00 AM
I'm having a terribly annoying problem that Digi has not been able to help me with. looking for some help.

I am bouncing a number of tracks into a master stereo file and I invariably get at least one spike or tick every time I bounce. It is always one only one side of the file. There is no error message and otherwise the file sounds perfect. I have my lex verb in a stereo aux return that goes to the master as well as edited files. these bounces can be as long as 4 to 5 minutes and as short as 30 seconds. when they are short, there usually is no popping.

Here's an outline of my system....

G4 twin 500 1 gig of memory
6 Seagate 15,000 rpm LVD Cheeteahs: 2 are inside the Mac and four reside in my
Magma 6-slot expansion chassis.
2 more 10,000 rpm Seagate Cheetahs in Glyph table top removable cases.
ATTO UL3D all settings are as specified, including 20/10 speed bump down
All the Cheetahs reside on one side of the chain, the other side has a 1 gig Jazz drive, a yamaha CD-RW, a Sony DDS3, and a 9gig 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda
Mac OS 9.04
Pro Tools 5.01
All drives formatted with ATTO Pro Tools
Aurura Fuse
Appian Jeronimo 2000
Two monitors- 1 Apple 20" MultiScan display and 1 17" viewsonic
Cables are all brand new

I know I'm forgetting something...but in the meantime, if anyone has any ideas as to why i might be getting these spikes, please let me know.
I can go in and usually pencil-draw them away but that's not something that I want to have to do on a regular basis. one observation: when I re-draw the wave, it sounds great but the spike still resides in the picture.

help!

tombi
01-22-2001, 06:54 AM
When you've redrawn the wave, mark your region, go to the "audio"-dropdown menu to the right in the edit-window and choose "Recalculate Waveform Overviews".

rosindabow
01-22-2001, 07:02 AM
Thanks... I'll try it. Still, thst's the least of my problems but I do appreciate the info. I shouldn't have to be re-drawing anything... DIGI????

rosindabow
01-22-2001, 07:10 AM
By the way, I just remembered one detail I didn't include in my profile. The studio is being clocked by an Aardsync Master clock that is refernced to blacj burst house sync. Digi's first question was what kind of clocking do I have...

DigiTechSupt
01-23-2001, 09:19 AM
-To eliminate the possibility of a clock problem, switch Pro Tools back to "Internal" Sync Mode (Hardware>Setups window) and try the bounce again.

-In addition, try bouncing to the same drive and/or partition and see if the problem persists.

Brent

rosindabow
01-23-2001, 11:00 AM
I have bounced to many different hard drives so it doesn't seem to be related to the drives. I will try the internal mode of the 888 to see if it has anything to with my clocking but I sincerely doubt that it does. Nothing else in the studio has any problems and everything is referenced to the word clock. I could not work this way ultimately as I need frame accurate sync. but thanks for the input.

uno1234
01-23-2001, 09:33 PM
I had this problem when I used "Tweakhead" setting for sample rate conversion in bounce to disk. Don't use tweakhead... use best. It's better.

rosindabow
01-24-2001, 09:41 AM
Not sample rate converting... thanks anyway

rosindabow
02-01-2001, 07:59 AM
Just an update... Record into a stereo pair and I have NO problems! Which means... like I suspected... this is a Pro tools problem. The system NEVER has clicks or pops. the only time this happens is on the bounce. It does not happen consistently so it is truly a pain. It makes no difference which drive I bounce from or hich one I bounce to. Music sounds perfect, all fades, all plug-ins, all aspects of the file until the bounce. Tried going to internal on the 888 had no effect(plus this entirely defeats the purpose of frame accurate sync)

Digi, I use this bounce function daily and it needs to be perfect. I am music editing and need to deliver master stereo files cut from a pre-existing library. This is truly a HUGE problem and I'd like to know if there is anyone else out there experiencing the same symptoms.... HELP!

parak
02-01-2001, 08:16 AM
Sounds like the previous thread, try bouncing with Quickpunch turned off.

L M
02-01-2001, 03:49 PM
I've had a similar problem before, twice actually. The first time reinstalling DAE handled it. The second time I had to do a complete reinstall of Pro Tools and that took care of it.