PDA

View Full Version : Lock mpc to protools.

Kyle Leinart
01-15-2001, 04:15 PM
I used to transmitt smpte from the usd into the mpc 2000 and it locked to protools fine.
How do I use MTC to lock the mpc 2000 to protools.?????

Jan Folkson
01-18-2001, 05:28 AM
Hey Kyle,

The best way to lock your MPC to PT is by using Midi Clock not MTC. Clock will force the MPC to follow the bar/beat timing of PT and make for a better lock. A change in tempo from PT would force the MPC to follow it. MTC is just a midi version of SMPTE and, even if the tempos are set the same, the two sequencers will eventually drift, probably sooner than later <g>.

To get this to work you first need to enable Midi Beat Clock in OMS for the MPC, just check to box to receive, then enable Midi Beat Clock in the midi menu of PT. Finally in the MPC, go to sync and set it to Midi Clock and enable it.

You should be good to go. When you hit play in PT the tempo display in the MPC should say <ext>.

This is the only way to guarantee a solid lock between the two sequencers.

HTH.

- Jan

Oli P
01-18-2001, 05:59 AM
Just slightly off topic...but what is the better box, 3000 or 2000?

I have both here now, but can't really figure out what the big difference is....but I know that some swear by the 3000.

Any opinions?

Jan Folkson
01-18-2001, 10:34 AM
I've got a 3000, it's the original Roger Linn designed box. To me it sounds better, the OS is better and it feels better. The 2000 is Akai squeezing Roger out of the picture and trying to do it on their own. They fall way short, IMHO.

- Jan

DeVille
01-18-2001, 11:36 AM
Jan,

Have you had any success locking Pro Tools to the MPC-3000? I am using an MTP AV USB and have been unable to accomplish this.

Jan Folkson
01-19-2001, 06:16 PM
Hey DeVille,

I've never slaved PT to the MPC, I can't really think of a reason that I'd want to. I've found that clock from PT to the MPC works great. You create your tempo map in PT and the MPC just follows along.

- Jan