PDA

View Full Version : Logic 7.2 Audio Plug-ins in Protools 7?

Matt_G
03-23-2006, 06:40 AM
Ok I own Logic Pro 7.2 & I also own Protools HD7.1cs5 is there any way to run Logic's audio plug-ins inside Protools? I don't want the virtual instruments, only audio processing plug-ins. Does ESB and EXS24TDM allow this?

Matt

ChaplainPC
03-23-2006, 06:52 AM
Nope, sorry. I can lightpipe core audio into my 192 but that's about it.

AINSLIE
03-23-2006, 07:40 AM
You can install the EPIC TDM plugins which bring some of Logics plugins into ProTools - but not instruments. However the code is old and whilst they do work, they are buggy. I recommend not being tempted cause no doubt they will stop working all together in a PT update not so far away. Search for EPIC in the DUC over the las 2 years... theres a few threads that cover the topic well ...

Ainslie

blumediaprojekt
03-23-2006, 01:23 PM
go here http://www.macmusic.org/softs/version.php/lang/EN/id/1381/

and download epic 1.2

then right click and "show package contents"

search through there and find the protools plugin then just put it in your digi plugins folder

the installer doesnt work so you have to do it that way

Matt_G
03-23-2006, 03:31 PM

and download epic 1.2

search through there and find the protools plugin then just put it in your digi plugins folder

Thanks that's great information, I've downloaded the EPIC TDM plug-in but when I launch Pro Tools it asks for the XSKey, I have the new apple logic usb Key is there a way to fool it into looking at the newer dongle?

Thanks

Matt

Matt_G
03-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Actually no problem I just went to the Apple Logic support page & found this http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/emagic/Driver_Files/OS%20X%20Drivers/XSKeyDriver.dmg.gz
once I ran this & restarted... viola! all the Epic emagic plug-ins showed up, the only downer is that they are only supported up to 48kHz. But it's still nice to have a few extra toys to play with.

Thanks again....

Matt

blumediaprojekt
03-23-2006, 05:20 PM
yeah i forgot to mention that you need the old xskey driver....

the other thing that sucks is that they will only run on accel except for the tape delay....

tape delay is my fav tho so i cant complain much....but it does kinda suck for us HD non-accel users

im still kicking my self in my head constantly over whether to buy uad-1 ultra + more plugs or just get an accel w/o any new plugs

Sonny Keyes
03-30-2006, 07:35 AM
This thread (combined with a hard-disk crash that obliged me to reinstall everything) led me on a voyage of discovery which now allows me to use Space Designer in Pro Tools. I'm indebted to ejsongs for his assistance getting this working.

There's a thread here (that's really old) covering the use of the old EPIC TDM bundle with Host TDM Enabler.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB16&Number=889143&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

When I read that one long ago, I installed all the pieces and got things working somewhat, but no Space Designer. When I went to reinstall last week, the emagic link to download EPIC TDM and Host TDM Enabler had been taken down, so I had to hunt on the internet for it and I guess the versions I found were different, because now I have Space Designer. I still couldn't get any IRs to load from Logic 7 though. I sought help from ejsongs at this point, as the old links suggested that he was the only person who had ever got this working properly. He gave me instructions for loading the presets in Logic 6 and saving them there so that the Pro Tools version of SD could import them, and that worked, but SD in PT still asked for the .SDIR file, which was always greyed out.

After blundering around for a while, I realized that I had a whole raft of Logic 6 formatted .SDIRs in Library->Application Support->Emagic and they work perfectly with the Space Designer that comes up in Pro Tools.

I guess the answer (for those one or two people who are still wondering) is that the .SDIR files are slightly different between the two versions of Logic, 6 & 7. Only the older (v6) ones work with the (older) Space Designer that comes in the EPIC TDM bundle. There are probably a very small number of people who have the magic combination of: Logic owner since version 6 and Pro Tools user who has installed these obsolete and unsupported pieces of software, so this may not be interesting to most people, but for those who are, that's the solution. Thanks ejsongs!

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto

audioluche
03-30-2006, 11:13 AM

and download epic 1.2

Wow! Thats great news because i always taught that upgrading my logic rig to a PT HD rig would mean losing the ability to use some of logic plugs (like subbass) that i really like and that i was missing!
Thanks to you guys!

However i downloaded epic 1.2 and did the show package content trick but i cant find the plugins. Where are they exactly?
Thanks for your help. I am on pt6.9 hd3 accel and logic 7.1.

Luc

crizdee
03-30-2006, 11:47 AM
Hi,

Just keep clicking on "show contents" on everything and you'll find it!

The Epic TDM won't work for everybody! only those who bought logic pro7 as a new purchase.(not those who upgraded from 6) the code for Epic tdm was not included in version 6 and lower, unless you bought it as an option.

Chris

audioluche
03-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Hi,

Just keep clicking on "show contents" on everything and you'll find it!

The Epic TDM won't work for everybody! only those who bought logic pro7 as a new purchase.(not those who upgraded from 6) the code for Epic tdm was not included in version 6 and lower, unless you bought it as an option.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. The only thing that i can show content of is the epic insataller and the the TDMEPICupd.pkg. On the other folders, i dont have the option show content in the menu. I think i miss something. Pardon me for my ignorance!

I have version 5, 6, and 7 of logic. Does it mean that in the v7 that i have, i wont be able to use these plugins?
If it's true, i want to exchange my V5-6-7 for a new v7 version!

Thanks for your help!
Luc

Sonny Keyes
03-30-2006, 12:49 PM

and download epic 1.2

The installer there WILL work if you've already installed epic 1.1. The only place I could find the installer was here:

http://www.helpdrivers.com/ingles/listado/dow.asp?codigo=85188

and they'll charge you $5 for " the search service, classification, storage and, finally, user access to the download area"

For me it was worth five bucks.

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto

audioluche
03-31-2006, 07:34 AM

and download epic 1.2

The installer there WILL work if you've already installed epic 1.1. The only place I could find the installer was here:

http://www.helpdrivers.com/ingles/listado/dow.asp?codigo=85188

and they'll charge you $5 for " the search service, classification, storage and, finally, user access to the download area"

For me it was worth five bucks.

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto

Thanks Sonny, i downloaded the epic 1.1 with the link you provided and now i have epic 1.2 installed. But when i launch Pro tools, it says critical error, drivers not found on Xs key, launch xs key manager. I tried to download the old Xs key drivers with the link provide in this thread but i think it has been removed by apple. Any clue?
Thanks again!
Luc

crizdee
03-31-2006, 11:00 AM
when i launch Pro tools, it says critical error, drivers not found on Xs key,

This is because you didn't buy Logic pro7 as a new dongle! you upgraded from 6 or earlier so the epic code is not included on you dongle.

Chris

Sonny Keyes
03-31-2006, 11:09 AM
when i launch Pro tools, it says critical error, drivers not found on Xs key,

This is because you didn't buy Logic pro7 as a new dongle! you upgraded from 6 or earlier so the epic code is not included on you dongle.

Chris

Wow, that's a bummer! I guess the list of users who might find this information interesting is even shorter than I imagined, because now I see it's limited to those who owned Logic since version 6 but for some reason have also bought Logic 7 to run on the same computer as their Pro Tools TDM system. How many of us does that make? 3? 4?

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto

AINSLIE
03-31-2006, 09:28 PM
I am not sure if I understand. I have an earlier xskey updated to V7. But I also had Apple give me the codes to unlock EPIC and the virtual instruments for V6. Still i don't get Space Designer - but I do get everything else. Sonny - are you saying the EPIC 1.2 update was different on the MacMIDI site to the one that used to be on EMAGIC / APPLE's sites?

Or is the definitive answer to get Space Designer still to have a new V7 xsKEY regardless of whether your earlier V6 XSKEY is authorized?

Ainslie

audioluche
04-01-2006, 05:59 AM
Wow!
This is getting hard to follow! So Chris, you say that you have to own a new V7 to have the epic licenses on the new (white) Xs key right? Ainsi, if i understand, you have a v6 logic upgraded to V7 and apple give you the codes for unlocking the epic codes on a v6 XSkey? If it's the case, how did you get these. Who is the person i have to ask!

Thanks again guys, i realy hope to get this thing working
Luc

dtmprod
04-01-2006, 07:23 AM
I still own Logic 6, but all this talk about using the TDM Epic within PT7 made me curious enough to try. Amazing, they still work! So for those of you still at Logic 6, I can verify that Epic version 1.2 will work with PT 7.1c6.

Peter Duemmler
04-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Yes, EPIC still works in PT7.
But you wonīt get Space Designer showing up in PT7 anymore, itīs a HTDM plug which came with the emagic Host TDM Enabler, not with EPIC.

Peter

crizdee
04-02-2006, 05:14 AM
Wow!
This is getting hard to follow! So Chris, you say that you have to own a new V7 to have the epic licenses on the new (white) Xs key right? Ainsi, if i understand, you have a v6 logic upgraded to V7 and apple give you the codes for unlocking the epic codes on a v6 XSkey? If it's the case, how did you get these. Who is the person i have to ask!

Thanks again guys, i realy hope to get this thing working
Luc

Hi,

this is how i understand it..

There are 2 ways to get Epic TDM..

1. you but brand new Logic pro7 (epic code is included)

2. you own a previous version of Logic and Apple give you the activation code for your dongle! (ala Ainslie, who seemingly is marrying Steve Jobs daughter )

so yes!! how do you get the code from Applemagic?

Chris

yeloocevad
04-02-2006, 12:39 PM
+1 here... I'd like to know how to get an old EPIC code...

yeloocevad
04-02-2006, 12:39 PM
+1 here... I'd like to know how to get an old EPIC code...

Tone
04-03-2006, 04:15 AM
Same here - not authorised either having come up from V6.

Sonny Keyes
04-03-2006, 06:44 AM
I am not sure if I understand. I have an earlier xskey updated to V7. But I also had Apple give me the codes to unlock EPIC and the virtual instruments for V6. Still i don't get Space Designer - but I do get everything else. Sonny - are you saying the EPIC 1.2 update was different on the MacMIDI site to the one that used to be on EMAGIC / APPLE's sites?

Or is the definitive answer to get Space Designer still to have a new V7 xsKEY regardless of whether your earlier V6 XSKEY is authorized?

Ainslie

I have to be honest, I'm not sure if I understand either, but I can report that when I downloaded the EPIC TDM bundle (first 1.1 then 1.2 to update it) and the Host TDM Enabler from the old Emagic site, I had the EPIC plug-ins in Pro Tools but no Space Designer. After a hard-disk crash that obliged me to swap out the main hard drive in my G5, I re-installed all of these, but this time my source was the helpdrivers site, and when reinstalled onto the exact same equipment I now had Space Designer.

Peter Duemmler (who has been a reputable source of solid information for years on the Logic User Group) says that SD comes as part of the Host TDM Enabler, so I can only guess that that installer was different on the helpldrivers site than on the emagic site. My XSKey was always for Logic 7 purchased new out of the box, so it appears to have authorizations for everything. The Logic 6 .SDIRs had to be imported from my old version of Logic which is at home, upgraded to Logic 7 through every version since 2.0. Hope this helps.

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto

audioluche
04-04-2006, 08:39 AM
I've emailed logic support to ask how to obtain the epic authorisation. I hope to have a positive answer!
I will post back when i get the answer...

Luc

audioluche
04-06-2006, 11:17 AM
I've emailed logic support to ask how to obtain the epic authorisation. I hope to have a positive answer!

Luc

Ask and you will receive!!!!

Good news, after providing my XSKEY serial number, Apple replied with an authorisation code for epic tdm!!!
Launch logic, hold command+shift keys, enter code, bingo!!! You've got the epic suite in PT and Logic (tdm).

always good to have something you taught you could never use again (well, in PT).
Cheers!
Luc

crizdee
04-06-2006, 12:31 PM

Luc

Ask and you will receive!!!!

Good news, after providing my XSKEY serial number, Apple replied with an authorisation code for epic tdm!!!
Launch logic, hold command+shift keys, enter code, bingo!!! You've got the epic suite in PT and Logic (tdm).

always good to have something you taught you could never use again (well, in PT).
Cheers!
Luc

Hi,

Which Logic support did you contact?

Chris

audioluche
04-06-2006, 01:53 PM
[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Which Logic support did you contact?

Chris

[/QUOTE]

Hi,
Go there:
http://www.apple.com/support/logic/
and click on the submit technical support request link at the bottom of the page. And dont forget do give your XSkey number...
Good luck!

Luc

crizdee
04-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Hi,

I've been sent the code

Well done Luc, i wouldn't of thought of contacting apple support etc

i'll let you if it all works ok.

Well i'm pleased to report that they are all working great and they sound better than i ever remember, i'm guessing the code is quite old? but they all seem to working fine and very effecient on chip usage! the bypass's work without any pops or clips etc etc. just go's to show that well coded plugs can last a long time.

If this was a new product, i would be giving them a 10

Chris

guitar012001
04-10-2006, 06:52 AM
Hi All,
I'm a newcomer from Logic Pro 7.2 Native! I just requested codes for TDM Epic Plugins from Apple on Friday to use with Pro Tools HD 7.1 and I received them today! I too have the upgraded version of Logic from Pro 6 and I also have the old XSkey too. I'll install today and let everyone know my results.
Thanks all of the insight,
Randy

gonzolagonda
06-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Sorry to re-tread old ground here, but I've got brand new white XS Keys for both Logic 7.0/7.1 and 7.2, and have found the EPIC plugin in the pkg file and put it into the plugins folder, but I am getting the Critical XS Key Error/crash when PT 7.1cs7 tries to load it. Why would neither of my XSKeys have the authorization? I even tried with my old Logic Pro 6 XSKey, but same thing - I have a new code from Apple to authorize, but I can't see how to do that.

audioluche
06-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Hi,

You have to go in the preferences panel and then select XSKEY pane (you should have one) and from there you should be able to enter your codes.
Holp this helps...

Luc

Oli P
06-13-2006, 12:48 AM
I get a "error #-7204" not enough free DSP

But they all show up in the plug-in folder.

gonzolagonda
06-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi,
You have to go in the preferences panel and then select XSKEY pane (you should have one) and from there you should be able to enter your codes.

Erm, I don't seem to have an XSKey Pane in Logic 7.2. I'm sure it used to come up in the System Prefs under Other, but nothing now...!?

gonzolagonda
06-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Sorry ignore my last post I re-read the thread, downloaded the XS Key driver from Apple and all is good. But it's odd that I had to do that and enter a new code as EPIC was showing as already authorized in the panel.

Oli P
07-11-2006, 03:48 PM

What am I doing wrong here? Any help? They all show up in the plug-in folder...but when I try to put one on a track, I get the error message

soundlife2
07-12-2006, 10:13 AM

What am I doing wrong here? Any help? They all show up in the plug-in folder...but when I try to put one on a track, I get the error message

I get the same error with PT 7.1cs8. Perhaps we are too far gone technologically for these older plugins???

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

crizdee
07-12-2006, 11:04 AM
I get the same error with PT 7.1cs8. Perhaps we are too far gone technologically for these older plugins???

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Hi,

I have them working fine on 7.1 cs8 HD3 accel

Have you got the authorisation codes in your Logic pro dongle??

some plugs need to access an entire chip and won't share! they always go to the accel chips, though i;m not sure if that's a requirement.

How many chips have you free?

Chris

Oli P
07-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Yes...got the XS Key authorizations and HDTM enabler code. I put the HDTM enabler code in as described...and before that the plugs didn't show in the folder.
My system is PCIe ...wonder if that makes any difference...and have always had plenty of free chips when trying to open the Epic.

My PT is 7.1cs7

Paul S-Tone
07-12-2006, 02:39 PM

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Hi,

some plugs need to access an entire chip and won't share! they always go to the accel chips, though i;m not sure if that's a requirement.

Chris

Also for me no work same error DSP on accel PCIe .

you have install only logic 7 in your computer or also logic 6 ??

thanks

soundlife2
07-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Hi,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yup ... the authorizations are definitely there. I just ran these plugs on my last system. HD|Accel 2 (PCI) on G4 dual 1.25.

My system now is a Quad 2.5 G5, Accel 3 (PCIe) ... with plenty of chips available. It wont run as a single plug in an empty session.

Hmmm ....

Thank,

Oli P
07-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Seems like PCIe is the problem...can Digi shed some light on this?