PDA

View Full Version : hp pavillion zx5180us compatable with digi 001?

cporro
01-02-2005, 07:27 PM
after spending $2,700 on a so-called ripping G4 about 2 years ago i was very underwelmed by its performance (when compared to my 1st gen stock G4 $1,400). i found myself thinking about pcs. but before that went too far i recieved an hp pavillion for xmas from my wife. so here i am with the daunting task of figuring out if its compatable with the digi 001 and if it is will it be faster then my G4. i ran some test of my own with photosho and the hp seems to be slightly faster overall on various tasks. the big test is will it crunch protools plugins (waves) better.

i know protools has a compatability page. i've been there. and what they say is very conflicting for the pavillion line. i can't even id my chipset (and believe me i downloaded the intel utility, etc etc) anyway, bottom line does anyone have experience with this type of thing? should i take it back? i can't see my 001 card even fitting into this laptop. wah! help. will i be able to dock it for recording and then use it remotely for rough mixing?

much thanks.

spkguitar
01-02-2005, 07:44 PM
You won't be able to use the 001 with any laptop. The PCI format is designed for desktop systems.

Unless of course, you get one of these (http://www.mobl.com/expansion/pci/1slot/index.html), but since it is so expensive, and the 001 is no longer supported by Digidesign, it would be much more cost effective and future thinking just to upgrade to the 002R.

Whether or not your new laptop will work with the 002r, I have no idea

Allen Hallada
01-02-2005, 09:13 PM
after spending $2,700 on a so-called ripping G4 about 2 years ago i was very underwelmed by its performance (when compared to my 1st gen stock G4 $1,400). i found myself thinking about pcs. but before that went too far i recieved an hp pavillion for xmas from my wife. so here i am with the daunting task of figuring out if its compatable with the digi 001 and if it is will it be faster then my G4. i ran some test of my own with photosho and the hp seems to be slightly faster overall on various tasks. the big test is will it crunch protools plugins (waves) better.

i know protools has a compatability page. i've been there. and what they say is very conflicting for the pavillion line. i can't even id my chipset (and believe me i downloaded the intel utility, etc etc) anyway, bottom line does anyone have experience with this type of thing? should i take it back? i can't see my 001 card even fitting into this laptop. wah! help. will i be able to dock it for recording and then use it remotely for rough mixing?

much thanks.

Think about taking that laptop back and using the money for building your own Athlon 64 desktop system as listed in the Best Desktop system. You can take the list on that thread to a local builder. That will run circles around the Mac dual G5 with PTLE.
Allen

cporro
01-06-2005, 12:48 PM
thanks, thats what i was afraid of.
guess i'll take it back.
in the next year or so i'm thinking of getting a blazing PC laptop and possible changing DAWS, that is if i can get better converters/pres and still have some kick as reverbs, eqs, and compressors.

cporro
01-06-2005, 12:54 PM
yeah. thats good sense. long term i'm thinking about switching to PC and possibly a new DAW.
i went through the big OSX change, no fun, and now i'm seeing that PCs do seem to be way faster.
as far as DAWs go i'm a bit disappointed with digidesign, seems they still don't have some of the top pro-sumer preamps and converters in the new 002. and its not cheap. so maybe MOTU. have to talk to someone who has done the listening tests.
much thanks, chris