PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard Question

angeloex
01-02-2005, 03:56 PM
My motherboard seems to have just died. Will I have to reinstall PT when I install my new motherboard?
Angelo

KingFish
01-02-2005, 04:37 PM
If you get the EXACT model of motherboard, you should be able to replace the MB, boot up your computer, and away you go.

If you get a Different motherboard, your easiest, fool proof meathod of everyhting working as it should... (not just Pro-tools, but Windows, all your other apps, and your hardware) Is to re-format your Hard drive (back up your personal stuff you need off that drive first) re install Windows, Pro-tools, all your apps, all your user settings etc....

You can find tutorials on the internet on how to "Swap Motherboards" without re-formatting, but most of them are based on "Upgrading" assuming you have access to boot your system with the existing MB, to remove all windows placed driver's, IRQ settings, and "trick" windows into thinking it's going through it's "1st Boot"

If your MB is dead, you're going to experiance problems, booting off your previous installation of windows, on a different model mother board.

If you're replacing the MB with the exact one.... hook it all up...Boot up.... and work away.

albee1952
01-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Good advice above. You might also get away with installing your new mobo and boot from the CD ROM with your WINXP disk and select set>repair installation. If it doesn't work, you will only waste an hour or so and then be stuck reformatting anyway so you don't have much to lose. If you get it up and running with my cheat, open a big session and put it thru some "abuse" before you book a paying customer.

angeloex
01-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys.

Bastiaan
01-03-2005, 03:36 AM
reinstalling ptle isnt that hard IMHO (takes less then 5 minutes), but loading all the plugins and stuff can take a bit longer.

The good part is that a freshl;y installed systems runs so much smoother....

angeloex
01-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Reinstalling PT isn't really my concern. It's my Sampletank plugins that seem to be a pain to authorize. I had to get IK support on the phone after my hard-drive failed a couple of months ago. I was never able to authorize the Waves plugins that came bundled with my 002 over a year ago. I got them on the phone and still couldn't get it authorized. They sent me a new cd figuring that would fix the problem. It didn't and I gave up on them.