PDA

View Full Version : M Box outputting hi pitched noise.

Arch
01-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Hey. Just got an Mbox and have been using it for a bit now running tracks from my Mpc 2000xl into my computer to seperate individual tracks. Last night I used the Mbox to output some drum noises into the mpc to sequence, and found some noise on the outputs. The noise only comes when the m box is active (when pro tools is running), and is a high pitched feedback type noise. It comes on when I open up pro tools and has a quick break in it when pro tools is in the load screen. The noise comes through the outputs on the back as well as the headphone out (though it has to be up a bit louder to hear on there). It's not overpoweringly loud, but it there.
I do realise that this could just be the regualr noise on the mbox, but it is showing up in my drums on my mpc... grrrr.
Andyway, thanks for your time and I hope someone can offer some insight.
Arch

powerbug123
01-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Hey Arch,

I have the same problem on my mbox system...i have been researching the problem online and asking around...i believe it's a grounding issue with the external device (in your case, the MPC). it happens on my yahama motif as well...i have been recommended the hum eliminator from http://www.sweetwater.com ...go to the site and type in "hum" in the search bar. The $60 hum eliminator should solve the problem...haven't tried it myself but i am definitely looking into it...

let me know your thoughts,
pbug123

jazzmandan
01-02-2005, 07:26 PM
Don't rule out incompatible hardware. I tend to get a high pitched hum (during play back along with other audio aberations) and errors messages when recording, when I forget to disable my systems SB Live Sound Card.

jazzmandan

Arch
01-03-2005, 01:07 AM
Glad to know I'm not the only one which this is bugging.
I just tried disabling my soundcard but still had the problem.
I also tried pluggin it into the mic input on my PC and having a listen and the same sound comes trough, so I am not entirely sure it is a grounding issue, but could be one in relation to the pc.
Hmm. Oh well, if you figure it out or anyone else finds a solution let me know.
Cheers.
Arch

scottedog
01-03-2005, 09:52 AM
I used to have an Mbox with that problem, for me I think the problem was attributed to USB noise.

Arch
01-03-2005, 05:08 PM
What happened to the M box?
I thought it could be usb noise too eh.
Did you get to fix it or did you get a new one (under warranty or whatever), or did you get rid of it before this?