PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of upgrading to HD from LE. Advice?

Jumpman
01-02-2005, 12:31 PM
I know this is the place to ask, with all the help I've gotten in the past. With LE, I run out of CPU power when using larger effects such as Amplitube or T-racks. On the davec test, I was able to get 32 + 6 aux, with 160 effects. As far as you know, would HD help me attain better plug in usage? The quality I'm getting is excellent with LE, and we've been very busy completing 9 albums in 7 months and in the process of doing another as I speak. I just can't stand it when I want to run an effect and I hit that wall of CPU overbogging. In my mind, if someone is sitting here with me and I want to add a killer vocal effect to make him/her sound better, I should be able to do it. Right now, I decide which effect to take off to make sure that the overall mix sounds best with what I've got. I'm probably just asking for too much.

Thanks in advance for your help. Alan, I thank you for helping me get as far as I've gotten! My family has appreciated the extra income!

~Dave Turnbull

Rail Jon Rogut
01-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Amplitibe is only available as RTAS and HTDM and T-Racks is only available as RTAS under XP... so under XP they'd still rely on the CPU for processing power.

If you used TDM plug-ins, an HD2 or HD3 system would help a lot... but only if you're using the TDM plug-in versions.

If you find yourself using 160 effects while mixing.. I'd concentrate on my production techniques before upgrading to an HD system.

If you find you have to EQ and compress everything while mixing, and you've recorded the track yourself.. then you need to start recording your tracks so that you don't have to "fix them in the mix".

Rail

MDog
01-02-2005, 01:46 PM
Hi Rail,

Actually, Amplitube is available in HTDM only for the Mac. I wish it was WinXP too ;(

And while I'm wishing, I wish McDSP would release it's WinXP plugs and that Princeton Reverb was available for WinXP TDM.

Rail Jon Rogut
01-02-2005, 01:50 PM
McDSP were showing XP version at DigiWorld.. so they should be available some time in 2005.

I spoke to the gentleman who developed the Princeton reverb at DigiWorld and he said he'd develop an XP version only if there was enough interest.. he said that Mac sales haven't been as large as he expected -- if you'd like to, send him an email to request an XP version.. perhaps if he gets enough emails he'll invest in porting the plug-in.

Princeton Digital (http://www.princetondigital.com/)

Rail

Jumpman
01-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Rail,
Thank you so much for your advice. As I read your response, it verified my own concerns. I'm not as educated as I need to be for making such a decision. RTAS are CPU related plug-ins correct? Where I like to use those (alot) is in initial tracks. It's such an easy way to get a great guitar sound. If I have a group in, I can utilize Amplitube to get a great guitar sound without having to worry about getting the clients gear set up perfect (or worry about the hiss or noise that comes with it). I don't use 160 effects. That's just what my system tested out with. Usually the tracks are very clean and I'll add a bit of verb or compression to even out the track. I've never run out of power running the simple plug ins. In a standard mix of 24 tracks, I'll usually only use a couple of effects per track. Again, it's the bigger effects. If I use something like Auto-Tune, I get a slow CPU. If HD won't help in those situations, there is no use for me to spend that money. I guess I can go back to using outboard gear like we used to. I'm just looking for ease of use and keeping everythink in the "internal" environment.

Thanks again,

~Dave Turnbull

Allen Hallada
01-02-2005, 02:11 PM
I know this is the place to ask, with all the help I've gotten in the past. With LE, I run out of CPU power when using larger effects such as Amplitube or T-racks. On the davec test, I was able to get 32 + 6 aux, with 160 effects. As far as you know, would HD help me attain better plug in usage? The quality I'm getting is excellent with LE, and we've been very busy completing 9 albums in 7 months and in the process of doing another as I speak. I just can't stand it when I want to run an effect and I hit that wall of CPU overbogging. In my mind, if someone is sitting here with me and I want to add a killer vocal effect to make him/her sound better, I should be able to do it. Right now, I decide which effect to take off to make sure that the overall mix sounds best with what I've got. I'm probably just asking for too much.

Thanks in advance for your help. Alan, I thank you for helping me get as far as I've gotten! My family has appreciated the extra income!

~Dave Turnbull

Dave,
I would just upgrade your processor and motherboard to AMD 64 3400+ and K8V motherboard. With the same ram you have now you can upgrade for about 400.00. That should give you more than enough power for your sessions and around 32+28 on the Davec test with PTLE 6.4. With the money you will save you can get a HEDD 192 A/D D/A converter for the best sound in the industry.
Allen

Jumpman
01-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Alan,
Once again, thank you. You continue to impress me with your knowledge. Where would be the best place to purchase the HEDD 192 A/D D/A converter? I'll go ahead and upgrade, as that seems to be the best option. I haven't used all 32 tracks yet except for the Davec test. Usually my track counts are 24 or less, so your advice is sound and again, thank you.

~Dave Turnbull

Allen Hallada
01-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Hedd 192 A/D D/A converter you can get at www.soundpure.com (http://www.soundpure.com) Just call them and ask for Todd.
Allen