PDA

View Full Version : inserts on 002r? trying to decide on hardware

drjenk
01-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Hello,
I'm shopping for some recording hardware, and am down to a few choices, weighing all my pros and cons. I'm currently a Sonar user.
My choices are down to:

1. 002r or mbox + command8 ($1750-$2300)
2. tascam fw1082 or fw1884 + sonar4 upgrade ($1200-$1800)

Either way I'm upgrading my PC
I'm comparing all hardware features, but I don't see any insert jacks on the 002r, and it doesn't specifically mention any. Are there any?

I really want a console to get away from mostly keyboard/mouse editing. I would appreciate any and all opinions, I'm having a rough time deciding. Is protools hardware really that much better ($500 better) than tascam equipment? I've never used protools software, but am pretty used to Sonar. Are there any glaring differences, or are they fairly similar function wise?

Thanks

drjenk
01-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Also, another point of concern with me in purchasing digi002r or mbox. I expect this hardware to be with me for quite some time, 5+years at least, although I do tend to upgrade my PC every 4-5 years or so. I'm not into spending my money on new audio hw just for the new model. So in 5 years we can expect an 003+ to be out, and completely new PC hardware motherboards/chipsets/CPUs about. When I go and upgrade my PC then, can I expect digi to keep their hardware compatibility list up to date for the 002 line of products? I dont' seem to be able to expect updated versions of protools for 002 products then, because 6.7 is not available for 001 users. That somewhat concerns me. I don't want to be backed into a situation where I have to upgrade my digi hardware just because I want to update my pc (because protools at that time may only be tested with newer PC hardware).
Any users of 001 hardware regretting their purchase because of this?

agent_k
01-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Stick with what your good at for now. Good rooms, mics, preamps, channels, converters, clocks ,analog outboard is the best investment. Do you rely on the preamps of either interface? If software supports high sample rates, external sync or word clock, professional plug-ins, then you are set. On your Sonar rig, do things sound better going in or out? This is an easy test. If you focus on producing good sound then it won't be as hard to mix it. Do you do things all ITB? I noticed Midi lock ups using PT midi with external sound module. Don't know if this is PT or my hardware, I don't rely too much on midi so not a big concern (if ther even is an issue w/ PT). 7.0 has even more Midi features. I use PT for compatibility with my community of musicians, especially producers who have been rockin PT for years. They are my local answerbase for things other than that within the realms of PT as well. PT is a standard. If you are concerned with that then it is a no brainer. Also if you don't care about 32 track limitation. Just my thoughts.

tele_player
01-01-2005, 07:55 PM
"7.0 has even more Midi features"

That's probably a safe guess - but 7.0 doesn't exist, and there's no published release data.

MIDI in 6.7 is still pretty weak, IMHO.

Keith Owens
01-01-2005, 10:49 PM
Post deleted by Keith Owens

tele_player
01-01-2005, 11:04 PM
I still find it pretty awkward editing MIDI in 6.7, and it scrolls really slowly when trying to select a large range in a MIDI track. And there's some goofiness going on with the tempo settings when I use Reason on an insert. Even if I save both the session and the Reason song with the correct tempo setting, it needs to be reset when I load the session again.

Yes, there are some new MIDI features in 6.7 - it still just feels clunky to me.

drjenk
01-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Good input here, I appreciate it.
The midi comments have me a bit concerned, as I do a fair amount or drums, strings, synths etc. The only audio I record is guitar, that's all I know how to play. I've not had any problems editing midi in sonar, although it has it's klunkiness here and there also. I don't really have a circle of people I know that use protools, other than this forum (which seems to be a great resource).
Decisions decisions...

thanks

drjenk
01-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Yes I am tending more and more to stick with what I have software wise and concentrate on the hardware side. I am finding it hard not to like the fw-1884 or fw-1082. Just simpler it seems for me in my situation, and a bit less expensive though I feel I'm not getting any less.
Thanks for all the input people...

Dave