PDA

View Full Version : OT: Can somone please helpme with a webpg problem?

epu
01-01-2005, 06:42 PM
I'm determined to design my site myself. I made this site, which I think is okay for my production company (it's not done). I used Frontpage 2002 to do it. When users try to get the page using Netscape, it doesn't load properly and everything is out of whack. In addition, some Internet Explorer users even encounter problems where links won't work.

If it comes down to it, i'll make a netscape version of the site, but there's got to be something that I'm doing wrong. Here's the site. If someone wants to help, I'll even send the Frontpage File for them to take a look at.

BTW, I am a Pro-Tools user (obviously). Check out a picture of my rig on the STUIDO page of my site:

Here's the URL. Please help: http://www.evertonrecords.com

Keith Owens
01-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Post deleted by Keith Owens

Bastiaan
01-02-2005, 02:56 AM
- text appeared to be cut off, though i think that is because the proper font isnt displayed, so it gets substituted by something else.

Why do you recommend a 1024 * 768 workspace/resolution if you only use around 50% of that space?

Downloading an mp3 on the background doesnt seem a good idea to me. I am broadband, so that isnt really a problem, but if people with dial-up modems have to waiti more then 20 seconds before anything happens they move on...

screendump of your homepage to be viewed here (http://bastiaan.ods.org/screendump.jpg)

Neumann is spelled Neumann and not Nuemann.....(gearlist)

something weird happens when i press the "studio" link while i am already there. The picture of your studio dissolves into the same picture but on a slightly different location.

WINXP pro SP2 IE 6.0.2900

Bastiaan
01-02-2005, 03:41 AM
Another thing....the picture of your studio doesnt seem to have the correct aspect-ratio. It looks like it has been pushed in from the top. Look at the monitors and the chair....

For the rest...realize i am only telling the odd bits of your site. It certainly isnt an opinion. Just helping you debug.

And isnt there some kind of function-thing that can verify the kind of browser that is being used? That prevents people from having to click on that pre-home-page....

epu
01-02-2005, 05:32 AM
Guys thanks so much for the replies so far, I really appreciate it. I'm working really hard to take all your observations into account to restructure my page. It's not exactly "pro-status" yet, but I'm working hard to get there. I'm doing as much as I can by myself.

Bastiaan, the minute I get the Netscape version to function correctly, I'll put in the function which detects the browser you are using. That first page is temporary to allow people to browse the while I'm debugging.

I'm working out the pic of the studio as we speak. You guys have been great so far. Everything you all say will be taken seriously.

epu
01-02-2005, 05:39 AM
Oh, BTW, THANKS FOR THE SCREEN DUMP. That was extremely helpful on so many levels! I now know what I have to do. I need to convert some of the text into small JPEGs which I can place on the site, since the fonts convert themselves on older systems, and systems which don't make use of the font.

I was pretty sure some of these fonts were standard. In any case, I'm getting on it. Thanks so much!

Bastiaan
01-02-2005, 05:49 AM
You speak of older systems. Not that i am offended in any way, but my system is fairly new. OS installed december 21st, and all the updates by MS in place. Drivers etc etc blah blah also latest versions. Rest of my setup can be found in my user-info. Educated guess is that i dont have the fonts installed you used on your webpage...

Bastiaan
01-02-2005, 05:51 AM
if you need screendumps of more pages..please let me know. Its done in seconds literally.

(open page, press alt-prtscrn, open Paint, paste, save as jpg, copy to www-server)

epu
01-02-2005, 03:07 PM
I think I'm understanding why this isn't working out. It seems as if Netscape looks at the text that was placed infront of the graphics as GIF Files. I'm stumped.

KingFish
01-02-2005, 03:47 PM
IMO Front Page, is a nightmare with conformity with layers, tables, alignment. Dreamweaver / Macromedia seems to really have their stuff together in that regard, everything I design, I check on IE, Netscape, Firefox, Safari Mac OSX, and IE OSX, and in the last while, I haven't had to make ANY changes.

I generally do a resolution re-direct, and have a Low res page / version of the site, automatically display to anyone viewing the site at 600x800 or less, or with Pre 4.0 browsers.

Also, don't mean to freak you out, but LINK NO LONGER EXISTS HERE[/url] is what your site looks like on Safari, on Mac OSX

There is definately a font substitution going on, if you are not going to use embeded font into Images placed on your page, then you really need to use an extremely common font - arial - veranda - etc...

Most webstats show apple computers only holding 4 percent of internet traffic, you'd think this not worth the bother to worry about compatabillity.... however, in the music industry, EVERY major studio on the planet has a Mac in the house, and having a Music Industry based site, you'd be suprised at the webstats.

In My web stat's, Mac based browsers, IE, and Safari, peaked at 41%, definately a demographic worth catering to.

I'd build your whole site out of an image in Photoshop, exactly the way you want it to look, with the font you want.

Then create slices / hotspots for links, and export it into a table.

From doing that, it will show up on every browser, exactly as you intend it to.

A good example, is a really cheeseball Graphic interface I built for a site in 1996 on Windows 95 using an image, that still... to this day, displays correctly in all the new browsers, and has never been changed.

LINK NO LONGER EXISTS It's a cheezie looking site, hardly even close to pro looking now, but for it's day, at the dawn of the internet, it was fine[/url]

It's all LINK NO LONGER EXISTS sliced up, and placed in a table

epu
01-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Wow King Fish, you are a LIFE SAVER! Thanks so much for your insight and for the peek at what the Mac users are seeing on my site. The Problem is I don't have access to Dreamweaver, Flash or Photoshop. I may end up taking my laptop money and use it to buy Dreamweaver off of eBay or from Comp USA. I really like the design of my website (when displayed correctly), so may end up re-doing it when I get Dreamweaver in THAT program.

I never realized how horrible Frontpage results can be! I'm gonna work to use MS Publisher to at least make some GIF versions of what I'm using text for.

The Infamous Epu.

epu
01-02-2005, 05:08 PM
So do you suggest I use Dreamweaver if anything else?

epu
01-02-2005, 05:08 PM
So do you suggest I use Dreamweaver if anything else?

KingFish
01-02-2005, 05:32 PM
You Won't regret the power and conformity of Dreamweaver, it... like any "pro level, industry standard app" (ie.. Pro-tools, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop), is a pretty steep learning curve, it can do everything you can imagine with a webpage, from asp / sql database integration, 100's of "plugin's" (called extentions) that perform pretty much any task known to a website, it could be a little overwhelming if you try to understand it all, however, it will take care of the simple things beautifully.

in a perfect world, if you could get PhotoShop 7, re-create your whole site an Image, create hot spot's, splices, and alt images on a 2nd layer for any mouse over activity you may want, using the fonts you want.

Exporting from photoshop as an HTML Table.

Importing the HTML file into Dreamweaver, setting mouse overs, slice / link / hotspot URL values, page Background, title, metatags etc.. embeded audio, you know... all the fancy web stuff.

The other alternative, failing access to PhotoShop7, would be for you to re-create your page in Dreamweaver, using Tables, in a centered layer, a COMMON font, found on all systems, dynamic HTML links for mouse overs on your standard page text links etc....