PDA

View Full Version : MIDI Time-Stamping

Shan
12-31-2004, 06:36 PM
I've been looking for info on this feature in regards to the MIDI I/O and PT le. Did a search and didnt find much. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks.

Shane

Rail Jon Rogut
12-31-2004, 08:50 PM
With 6.7 you get MIDI Time Stamping if you have a MIDI I/O or any MIDI Interface with KS WDM drivers.

Rail

Shan
01-01-2005, 12:42 AM
Thanks Rail, but I'm not sure what it is or does. I've done a search in the Reference guide and 'whats new in pt le 6.7' but couldnt find anything. I'm gonna try a search in the Midi I/O guide.

Shane

Shan
01-01-2005, 12:53 AM
Ok. I found this in the MIDI I/O Guide.

"MIDI Time Stamping

The MIDI I/O is equipped with MIDI Time
Stamping capabilities. MIDI Time Stamping
achieves MIDI playback timing with better than
1 millisecond accuracy. Every MIDI event is
“time-stamped,” meaning that every MIDI
event is grouped with its time and then sent in
packages ahead of time, rather than serially.
MIDI Time Stamping provides unprecedented
MIDI timing accuracy for better sounding results."

Sounds great. Just the answer I was looking for. So,would the Midi I/O on the 002 have this feature? Or just the MIDI I/O and other MIDI boxes with those drivers?

Also, would this be applied to sending a MIDI track to an RTAS softsynth?

Shane

Rail Jon Rogut
01-01-2005, 10:40 AM
The built in 002 MIDI ports do not have Kernel Streaming drivers -- soft synths would define their own latency.

Search Microsoft's DirectX section for more info on Kernel Streaming WDM driver development.

Link (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directshow/htm/howhardwaredevicesparticipateinthefiltergraph.asp)

Link 2 (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/audio/DirectKS.mspx)

Rail

Shan
01-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the great info Rail.

On a side note I do think you should get some sleep How the heck do you work, keep up to date on everything and everything else. Happy New Year Rail.

Shane