PDA

View Full Version : recording acoustic using x/y model

bigd
12-31-2004, 06:12 AM
Would it be okay if I used 2 SM57 for an x/y guitar recording, or any double mic guitar recording?

D.

It's all I can really afford...

lemix
12-31-2004, 07:27 AM
Would it be okay if I used 2 SM57 for an x/y guitar recording, or any double mic guitar recording?

D.

It's all I can really afford...

I don't see why not. Will give you a decent quality coincident cardioid pair.
You might not like the outcome for every micing situation, but it will work. I use that setup for percussions sometimes with good results.

happy tooling,

Bazzle
12-31-2004, 07:35 AM
Aim one mic at the soundhole and put the other up the neck.Watch out for phase issues.You can record stereo or mono.You can get a decent sound out of 57's with a bit of correct placement.

If you have a built in pickup in your guitar, you can use a mic and the pickup at the same time.Good results sometimes.

bigd
12-31-2004, 07:49 AM
thanks again guys... much appreciated.

TDub
12-31-2004, 09:02 AM
What micing set up WOULD everyone suggest for micing an acoustic guitar? I will try the one at the hole and one up the neck. Any other thoughts around what placement and set up works best? Also, I may end up posting separately for this, but can someone explain dynamic mics vs condenser mics?? Which to use on what instruments? (i know, sounds like a very newbie question, but . . .)
thanks all

Matt Whritenour
12-31-2004, 09:07 AM
Aim one mic at the soundhole

you are not going to want to aim a mic at the soundhole, when you play an acoustic
guitar air comes out of the sound hole and you do not want any burst of air to go
into the microphone, instead point the mic inbetween the bridge and the whole

and for a mic on the neck i would say to point it around the 12th fret

Bazzle
12-31-2004, 10:02 AM
Aim one mic at the soundhole

you are not going to want to aim a mic at the soundhole, and for a mic on the neck i would say to point it around the 12th fret

It was a general statement and meant to give a general idea of where to point the mic.As for a burst of air coming out of the soundhole, that is a new one to me.If it was a bagpipe or saxophone I could see a concern with an air burst, but give me a break...try this, light a match, hold it in front of the soundhole and strum a chord what happens?Nothing!!! The flame does not even flicker..

bigd
12-31-2004, 10:10 AM
that's funny, I've often heard that from engineers, but never thought to question it... does anything happen or is this just an old wives tale?

lemix
12-31-2004, 10:21 AM
The flame does not even flicker..

Correct...what luzer_kidd was trying to describe it's the hollow and booming character that emanates from the hole. Multiplied by the proximity effect of a cardioid microphone it sure can be a downer.
I normally move the main mic around the neck to capture the part, paying attention of style, tuning, and the intended placement of the part in the final mix.
If secondary mics are used, I have no set rules. Could be in front, above, far or close.
I aim to fit it in the mix, and always listen with other tracks playing.

Lou,

Bazzle
12-31-2004, 10:36 AM
What I generally do is point the mic across the soundhole at an angle.Lemix is correct about the boomy proximity effect, if you point the mic directly at the soundhole...I was confident you already knew this,as I am still confident that you did..