PDA

View Full Version : splitting imported tracks and muting/deleting

samrisio
12-30-2004, 03:01 PM
i imported a few jamey aebersold tracks to practise along with..they are split left and right..why can i not mute either one in the tracks edit window...they seperate when they are converted but can you not then manipulate them? i just want to hear the bass and drums

Keith Owens
01-01-2005, 12:08 AM
Post deleted by Keith Owens

samrisio
01-01-2005, 06:11 AM
keith i am a few years older than you..i'va always been a player who paid sound engineers..now i can appreciate the profession as i try to climg this steep learning curve...the X8 workstation...PT LE...M Box...cripes!...I amd just trying to have some fun...some of these guys remind me of why I quit gigging though...anyway..for practising my chops i would like to use the jamey aebersold series and they give you cd's wiht the left track bass and drums and the right track piano and drums...iconverted a track..inported it as audio into PT and now I want to sepreate them out,,,on a stereo you choose turn the dial left or right..any ideas?

ptrbas
01-01-2005, 06:33 AM
Create 2 mono tracks and move (drag with the little hand or cut/paste) the stereo track to these 2 mono tracks, now you can mute the left or right track.

Pieter

macr0w
01-01-2005, 06:34 AM
Are they two seperate mono tracks with bass and drums on one mono track and piano and drums on another? If that's the case you should be able to mute one or the other. Remember to put them on seperate mono audio tracks.

samrisio
01-01-2005, 06:47 AM
i tried and i cannot mute either one! why i dont know...

ptrbas
01-01-2005, 07:23 AM
You have to pan the mono tracks, by default they are both in the centre when created. Pan the left track hard left and the right track hard right. That should do it for you.

Pieter

samrisio
01-01-2005, 09:38 AM
thanks for you help..pan left and right OK...is that before i import them as audio into PT? or after? stupid, i know

ptrbas
01-01-2005, 09:57 AM
No problem, it's after, when you import the track into PT you have a stereo track created with the music but you can't mute the left or right channel. So you paste this stereo track to 2 mono tracks and pan these 2 tracks as I described above. The stereo track is now split into 2 mono tracks but with this hard left/right panning sounding the same as the imported stereo track. Muting the left or right mono track is like turning the pan knob on a stereo from hard right to hard left.

I hope this helps,

Pieter

samrisio
01-01-2005, 02:21 PM
the tracks show three in the edit window..one is the stereo track and the other two are supposed to be the two monos...i panned them left and right 100% and i cant mute either one..do i delete the stereo track? what gives?

samrisio
01-01-2005, 02:38 PM
pieter the muts is not working after panning...the tracks split on their own when i imported them by the way

ThunderKyss
01-01-2005, 03:23 PM
the tracks show three in the edit window..one is the stereo track and the other two are supposed to be the two monos...i panned them left and right 100% and i cant mute either one..do i delete the stereo track? what gives?

If you are seeing three tracks, mute them one at a time, untill you hear what you want.