PDA

View Full Version : Pro tools running slowly or not at all

sonicstranger
12-30-2004, 10:50 AM
I'm running my digi 001 on a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 with 256 Megs of Ram. Yet, whenever I try to record in pro tools, it gives me a hardware/buffer error. I've tried about every setting for the H/W buffer size but the problem still persists. When I run the task manager while pro tools is running, I can see that it is almost always using very close to 100% of my CPU power, even when the program is sitting idle. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

Oh and before this, I thought the problem was that the pci card was on the same IRQ as my USB port,. so I moved the digi 001 card to its own IRQ, but nothing has changed.

sonicstranger
12-30-2004, 02:40 PM
bump

Please help!

da BaSsTaRd!
12-30-2004, 02:44 PM
When I run the task manager while pro tools is running, I can see that it is almost always using very close to 100% of my CPU power, even when the program is sitting idle.

this is normal (a bug). that's an incorrect read on actual cpu usage. you need to look at the digi performance meter for an accurate reading.

as far as the errors, for one thing you don't have enough ram. 512 is the practical minimum (i think the specs state 384 as the required minimum). we'll need more details about your system before anyone can give you a realistic answer...

sonicstranger
12-30-2004, 03:45 PM
thanks. what other details do you need?

sonicstranger
12-30-2004, 11:38 PM
I know that you're supposed to save your audio files to a separate hard drive than the one pro tools is running on, but I haven't gotten an external hard drive yet. Could that be causing the problem?

sonicstranger
01-01-2005, 03:39 PM
bump