PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for additional guitar cab mics...

theMeanTeam
12-29-2004, 06:19 PM
Hey everybody

Like everybody else, i'm trying to work out a really full great guitar sound. I've got some pretty good results from layering and re-amping guitar tracks, but i'm thinking it might help just to add some more mics to the cabs in the first place. I can get a GREAT sound from my guitar gear, just having hard time getting it to translate... Any suggestions? here's what i'm using so far:

PRS CE24 -> Mesa Subway Rocket or Dual Rectifer
Avatar 2x12 w/ eminence speakers -> SM57 as one track
Avatar 4x12 w/ eminence speakers -> Akg Sm58 copy as the second track

Will adding some different mics beef up my sound any (or better mics in the case of the akg)? I've heard of using an AKG D112, and sennheiser also has a mic supposedly specifically for guitar cabs (an E609 i think). Or what about a new cab with different speakers? (but like i said, the live sound is already great) Any help is much appreciated (especially from Chris, you rule man.)

Keith Owens
12-29-2004, 06:55 PM
Post deleted by Keith Owens

Matt Whritenour
12-29-2004, 07:37 PM
i second MD421 or TLM 103 backed up off the cab to capture some of the room,
you can even just use 2 57's one on a top speaker and one on the bottom positioned differntly

Shan
12-29-2004, 07:45 PM
MD421 and Royer R-121 Ribbon

Shane

Keith Owens
12-29-2004, 07:48 PM
Post deleted by Keith Owens

jeffwuollet
12-29-2004, 09:46 PM
Another vote for Royer, but if you mean 'Lows", lightly adding an octave effect to the post-amp signal might help, but as far as mics go, look for a mic with an extended low frequency response. Large diaphragm condensers come to mind when I want some kick in my kick. Also make sure that you keep the phase in check. Switch the phase of one mic and whichever direction produces the most bass will be the one to go with.

badperson
12-29-2004, 10:19 PM
I use both my re20 and ntk with results I like. I almost always use a 57, though. the other two are for when I use two mics on the amp.

bp

jjhuntfox
12-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Check out the Blue Blueberry... I really liked it on distorted guitar cab...

Third Eye Studios
12-29-2004, 10:52 PM
I’ve had great results lately with the Sennheiser e609 (silver). They are dirt cheap, and are perfect for guitar. I will also use a second mic usually, a large diaphragm condenser (414, TLM103, Apex 435) usually about three feet back to capture the cabinet as a whole, rather than just the close miked speaker. You can mess around with the distance of the second mic with headphones on to make sure it’s in phase. If it’s not in phase but when soloed it sounds good during the tracking I’ll just leave it muted. Then later I’ll nudge it in mixing to get the phase correct. Still, with electric guitar you can get a great recorded tone with just a 57.

theMeanTeam
12-29-2004, 11:56 PM
sweet. i forgot about the MD421. i've heard from some reliable sources that they're somewhat over-rated though.

i've got a rode nt1 i'm going to try too. never really tried large condensers on guitar cabs. i just figured they're not supposed to take such high SPL's...

i think ordering an E609 will definitely help though.

Matt Whritenour
12-30-2004, 12:52 AM
sweet. i forgot about the MD421. i've heard from some reliable sources that they're somewhat over-rated though.

i've got a rode nt1 i'm going to try too. never really tried large condensers on guitar cabs. i just figured they're not supposed to take such high SPL's...

i think ordering an E609 will definitely help though.

i have an e609 and don't really care for it on guitar, and the MD421 may possibly overrated
for guitars but they are amazing on toms

theMeanTeam
12-30-2004, 01:04 AM
ok i checked out the Blue 'The Ball'. it seems that nobody has anything bad to say about this mic. anybody here used it? would you recommend it over the E609?

Chris Cavell
12-30-2004, 06:26 AM
If you want to simply try another mic to blend in, I'd try the e609 silver, or a 414 through a nice pre (1073 or clone). (You know Rick N...don't you...don't be afraid to ask to borrow some of his gear...that man's got some serious goodies: vintage fairchilds, vintage 1176's, LA-2A's, a scary mic collection, etc...)

I wouldn't bother with reamping, I'd actually use a splitter and run two amps at once...it's a heck of a lot tighter than doubling. That would probably be the easiest way to beef up the sound: two amps at once, pan them opposite directions.

stanonbass
12-30-2004, 08:44 AM
I use and SM57 on one speaker and a 421 on the other. Works great on a nice amp.

theMeanTeam
12-31-2004, 12:17 AM
(You know Rick N...don't you...don't be afraid to ask to borrow some of his gear...that man's got some serious goodies: vintage fairchilds, vintage 1176's, LA-2A's, a scary mic collection, etc...)

Yeah i know him, but i dont really know him that well. i've played with him twice at our church over by campus, and i talked to him at the presonus factory about buyin an mp20, but thats the extent of it. i heard he has a crazy collection. i couldnt believe the guitars he whipped out when i played with him those times...

so you still in baton rouge chris? you said something about moving to lafayette.

Chris Cavell
12-31-2004, 06:35 AM
I'll be in B.R. for a few hours today finalizing the move...sad to say good bye to it...was just starting to feel like home. However, I'm now in a four bedroom house with a jacuzzi...so no complaints here! The next time your group gets together to have a carniverous celebration, give me a ring. My number is still the same.

I've got a couple of gigs in BR over the next few months, so I won't be totally absent.

Third Eye Studios
12-31-2004, 07:01 AM
I have the a Blue Ball (he he-I'm so immature) and I can't really find a use for it yet. I've used it on guitar cabinet with mixed results, good low end but the midrange didn't sound right to me. For a while I was using it for bottom snare, but I just did a track where I didn't like it there, so I'll be looking for another use for it. I don't really have anything bad to say about it, I just haven't found a great use for it yet. I would stick with the e609 and a large diaphram condenser.