PDA

View Full Version : talkback to Talents?

dadio2002
12-29-2004, 04:22 PM
(Have the Digioo2R)

What are the diffrent types of way I can set up a mic so that I can talk to my talents while recording so they can hear me in there earphones?

theMeanTeam
12-29-2004, 06:05 PM
well i dont have a presonus central station or anything cool like that... i just add a new track, call it TALKBACK, and run a microphone to where my pc is, and record-arm. that way they can hear it in the headphones just like they hear themselves.

there may be slicker ways of doing it, but this works great.

dadio2002
12-29-2004, 07:19 PM
well i dont have a presonus central station or anything cool like that... i just add a new track, call it TALKBACK, and run a microphone to where my pc is, and record-arm. that way they can hear it in the headphones just like they hear themselves.

there may be slicker ways of doing it, but this works great.

Good idea but I dunno if would want my voice to be accidently captured becuase the record is armed.

And to Keith's message. Im on 17 and just got the digi. But I worked in a studio my mother works at for 2 summers. Great experirence!!!

Matt Whritenour
12-29-2004, 07:34 PM
instead of an Audio track use an AUX track

dadio2002
12-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Lol I thoguht it would be that Easy

RBaker
12-29-2004, 08:04 PM
I used to use an aux track, but I just bought a behringer mixer (the smallest one) for $35...it has one mic preamp (for the talkback mic) and 2 sets of stereo channels. I just run the line outputs of the digi and mix in my talkback mic. that way you don't have the mic going through your mix and making extra noise. There's a headphone amp in it if you want to run it that way, or you can send the outs to a seperate headphone amp. Also when I close a session to open another one they can still hear me so that I can tell them "stay in there, you're not done, I'm just changing sessions...did I mention that you can't sing?" etc etc. (I can't hear them though)

It is really helpful if you want to give them their own mix. I take it with me when I go somewhere to track drums so that they can have all the ear drum exploding click track that they want and I can listen how I choose.

BIG D
12-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Hi,

Alternatively, I use the SAMSON C-Control. Gives you Talk Back, 4 monitor sources 3 speaker switches all for quite an inexpensive price.

Look Here (http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1650&brandID=2)

Best regards,

BIG D

jeffwuollet
12-29-2004, 09:36 PM
OT: One time, I drank so much 151 that I puked in the toilet only to have my glasses fall in at the same time...

That's nothing compared to me JUST spilling a whole can of Pepsi on my Vintage British Mixing console. Just as it tipped over, I thought "This can't be happening...", but as soon as I saw the syrupy fluid reach the wrist rest, I knew I screwed myself. They need to put drink holders on the sides of these things.

Anyway, back off my tangent.

I second the samson. Presonus loves to talk about how clean their control station sounds, but I want to know who plans on running a U87 through it. IT'S A TALKBACK MATRIX!!!! If you can get a sound through at suitable volumes, why go with anything more expensive?

I don't remember if you said you had a mixer or not, but I'f you're strictly using the interface, I might also suggest checking out Mackie's Big Knob. With that, you can run multiple in's and out's along with talkback to multiple headphone outs. I don't have all the details, but check it out. It looks promising.

BTW: Did anyone listen to the Onyx pre's/EQ's yet? I didn't get a chance to get to a GC.

Third Eye Studios
12-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Well, my talkback solution uses more equipment than just the 002R, but I hate to waste valuable tracking inputs for talkback (me or the musicians-I give everyone a TB mic). I use the talkback section of the samson c-control for control room talkback. I send one TB output to a mixer to mix with my headphone sends (digi outs) and musician TB mics. I also send another c-control TB output to an amplifier with PA speakers out in the tracking room (for those moments when there aren’t any headphones). The talkback on the c-control is footswitch controllable, and the microphone is not too sensitive to pick up nearby computer noise if it’s there (the TB mic on my HUI is way too sensitive I think). I don’t however really like using the c-control to monitor through anymore, as I started to notice some weird things like the left to right volume being real inconsistent at low volumes and pots that are scratchy after just 6 months. I’m using the HUI to monitor through now, and will soon be getting the Presonus central station to monitor through and switch speakers.

Matt Whritenour
12-30-2004, 01:00 AM
I second the samson. Presonus loves to talk about how clean their control station sounds, but I want to know who plans on running a U87 through it. IT'S A TALKBACK MATRIX!!!! If you can get a sound through at suitable volumes, why go with anything more expensive?

I don't remember if you said you had a mixer or not, but I'f you're strictly using the interface, I might also suggest checking out Mackie's Big Knob. With that, you can run multiple in's and out's along with talkback to multiple headphone outs. I don't have all the details, but check it out. It looks promising.

first. the central station isn't just a talkback matrix , it is also to hook up these things called monitors to so you can hear what is being played back, that's why you want it to be as clean as possible.

second. the mackie big knob is the exact same thing as the central station.

ejwells
12-30-2004, 04:37 AM
"Good idea but I dunno if would want my voice to be accidently captured becuase the record is armed".

Turn it down after to you talk to them, or disarm it. That's what I do.

Or...get a mike with a push button on the base.

doylemusic
12-30-2004, 01:20 PM
I used to do the aux track idea but would forget to mute the track and consequently would print me and the "talent" talking while I was bouncing down a mix for them. I know.....

I have been using the Samson C control and absolutely love it. It's nice to have something controlt he entire lsitening environment as well as give me a built in talk back feature. I even have a foot pedal hooked up to it to activate the talkback mic when necessary. Works great, well worth the $100.