PDA

View Full Version : HD question. i think im screwed

mahoney
12-29-2004, 07:59 AM
hey guys.

im pretty new to pro tools and i just bought a digi002 rack. i ordered an external HD over ebay becuase i heard that its alot faster and more efficent instead of recording to your internal HD (im using an Emachines laptop with 64bit processor 512 ram) but really slow internal HD.

the only thing i realized is that only a few external HDs are compatiable with pro tools (after i ordered bah)

so im just wondering if anyone has had any experiance with this particular HD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5148880062&ed=1103954660000&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOT:CA:3

Item number: 5148880062

would it be best to get a PCMIA fire wire card to have some extra firewire ports? or just run the digi through the hard drive and then into the computer?

thanks alot guys

tele_player
12-29-2004, 08:26 AM
You might be OK. While there's a good chance it won't work correctly using the Firewire, there's also a chance that it WILL work correctly using USB. Others have had that experience, though maybe not with that exact drive.

mahoney
12-29-2004, 08:40 AM
oh cool..

but won't the usb be alot slower resulting in buffer errors and latency time ?

lemix
12-29-2004, 02:29 PM
USB2 protocol works fine. It isn't "a lot slower "

superpenguin79
12-29-2004, 03:21 PM
to be honest with you as far as computers go, I am not sure what type of music you are looking to record etc... or what your long term goals are for your system, but being in computers for a while, I have talked to a lot of folks that have troubles with Emachines computers. The reason being is because they are very cheaply put together. If you are looking to put something together that would go well with the 002 I would go with a nice AMD based system that you either build or purchase.

As far as external hard drives go, I would go with Firewire or USB 2.0 caus those are your fastest bets. In the long run if you are looking for a stable and really great system, I would build one with atleast an AMD 2000 or 2400, 2600 processor for bare minimum in the system. Goodluck

mahoney
12-29-2004, 04:52 PM
are you aware of the big turnaround emachines had?

check the best laptop for PTLE thread. they had a real turn around and had a managment shift or something and are currently cranking out some top notch systems...

check out www.notebookforums.com (http://www.notebookforums.com) as well.

but anyways, yea im just looking to record rock and roll basically.

and i have the Harddrive on the way but i was just wondering if anyone knows if they are compatiable...

and dude why are you recomending Amd 2000?? i have an AMD3000 64 Bit ?

hrmm

JamesV
12-30-2004, 05:46 AM
Firewire drive need 911 chipset. Maybe USB will work.

superpenguin79
12-30-2004, 06:49 AM
are you aware of the big turnaround emachines had?

check the best laptop for PTLE thread. they had a real turn around and had a managment shift or something and are currently cranking out some top notch systems...

check out www.notebookforums.com (http://www.notebookforums.com) as well.

but anyways, yea im just looking to record rock and roll basically.

and i have the Harddrive on the way but i was just wondering if anyone knows if they are compatiable...

and dude why are you recomending Amd 2000?? i have an AMD3000 64 Bit ?

hrmm

yeah, I heard that Emachines merged with the bankrupt Gateway, got a system overhaul and what not. Still not the biggest fan of their systems though honestly. I rather build a system from ground up instead of going with an OEM deal any day really... *shrugs* thats just me though.

As for AMD 2000, to clarify.... Just kinda meant I wouldn't go under anything that will clock less than a 1.5 processor with PT no matter which platform that you are running on really. As for 64 bit, I am not sold on them yet caus there are not a whole lot of applications that are designed architecture wise for 64 bit stuff yet. Give it a good 5 years or so though and give it a little time to come down in price for the stuff and I'll probably be sold on it also.

Goodluck with your system specs though and enjoy your Protooling!

mahoney
12-30-2004, 08:35 PM
yea man thanks alot!

you should check out the best laptop for PTLE thread though

its proven they are a soild machine!

check check check er it
peace man

Marius Eikeskog
12-31-2004, 02:17 AM
You might be OK. While there's a good chance it won't work correctly using the Firewire, there's also a chance that it WILL work correctly using USB. Others have had that experience, though maybe not with that exact drive.

Firewire is 400Mbps an USB2.0 is 480Mbps, Firewire is alot more stable than USB2.0 so u should use the wirefire as long as u have a PCMCIA card or someting with an 6pins firewire port. Normaly laptops only have 4pins and then the firewire are 200Mbps.