PDA

View Full Version : Digi 001 reload after re-format problem Help!!!!!

GFDStudio
12-28-2004, 05:09 AM
I had to re-format my hard drive recently after a system crash. (I did get the chance to copy the protools program directory to a back up) After repairing the computer and re-loading the operation system, I relaoded Protools LE 5.1, started things up, re-entered my serial number, and prepaired to open my first session. NOTHING! Protools doesn't even attempt to load the session file. When I attempt to launch by clicking on a session icon in Explorer, the results are the same though with the following error message, "Access denied". What am I missing????? Was there a hard disk key that I needed to extract before crashing. I have all of the original documentation, and i don't find a "key" other than with the D-Verb trial stuff. I'll take all the help I can get. Thanks,

Gary

Third Eye Studios
12-28-2004, 06:12 AM
What is your operating system? If you are on windows XP, PT 5.1 will not work.

GFDStudio
12-28-2004, 10:55 AM
I'm using 98SE. Everything worked fine for 3 years or so until I reformatted adn relaoded.

Rail Jon Rogut
12-28-2004, 10:58 AM
Access denied

Where are you getting the error.. from the OS or from the Pro Tools app when trying to open a session? Can you run the Pro Tools app and create a new session? Are your drives set up correctly as per the Getting Started guide?

Rail

GFDStudio
12-28-2004, 11:14 AM
I'm getting the error or failure to open within the Protools app. When attempting to open a new session or open an old one, it's as if the file structure of the session is not even recognized. In other words, when attempting to open a session, you can click on the file and click open, and NOTHING happens. When attempting to launch from Windows Explorer by clicking on a session, protools launches, the a message is displsyed from within Protools saying "Access Denied"

Rail Jon Rogut
12-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Can you run the Pro Tools app and create a new session?

Rail

GFDStudio
12-28-2004, 11:17 AM
No. Same thing....when attempting to name the session and start...nothing happens. Is there a possibility that I've lost as "key" of some sort in the re-format.

Rail Jon Rogut
12-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Have you checked if the drives are Basic or Dynamic.. if DMA or PIO.

Rail

Rail Jon Rogut
12-28-2004, 11:18 AM
No. Same thing....when attempting to name the session and start...nothing happens. Is there a possibility that I've lost as "key" of some sort in the re-format.

Define "nothing happens"

No, you have a hard drive issue.

Rail

GFDStudio
12-28-2004, 11:20 AM
could I have changed the DMA setting on the drives by re-formatting? This is the identical system I used before the problem.

Rail Jon Rogut
12-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Yes. but odds are you backed up your drive to DVD or CDR and now all your files are set to Read-Only after you copied them back to the hard drive .

However, that doesn't explain why creating a new session doesn't work.

Rail

GFDStudio
12-28-2004, 11:24 AM
By nothing happening, I mean this. Imagine attempting to open an Excell file for instance. I can locate the file, click on it to drop it into the window, click open, and not one thing happens. The file simply never opens. The command to open the file never executes.

Rail Jon Rogut
12-28-2004, 11:26 AM
When I say create a new session I mean Start pro Tools by double clicking the Pro Tools icon.. then use the File->New command.

a) Do you get the New Session dialog?

b) Can you fill it in?

c) Does a new session get created when you hit OK?

When exactly does "nothing" happen!!!????

Rail

GFDStudio
12-28-2004, 11:30 AM
Same issue. I am unable to open a new session at all. It sure seems to me that there is a "key' or something missing. When I attempt to open a session from Windows Explorer for instance by double clicking on a session file....Protools launches....but rather than executing the session...I get an "Access Denied" error message from within Protools.

GFDStudio
12-28-2004, 11:32 AM
a) and b) I can do.....c) doesn't execute. The new session id not created.

Rail Jon Rogut
12-28-2004, 11:35 AM
a) and b) are "something".

Try creating a new session on a different drive.

Have you checked if the drive is in DMA or PIO mode yet?

Rail

GFDStudio
12-28-2004, 11:38 AM
OK, I need a pointer here. How do I check to see if the drive is in DMA or PIO mode.

Rail Jon Rogut
12-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Device Manager.. search the DUC and AnswerBase for DMA

Link (http://www.pcmus.com/faultfind.htm)

Rail

GFDStudio
12-28-2004, 12:10 PM
I'm going to check that out. I certainly appreciate the help.