K.B.
12-27-2004, 04:17 PM
Evening classes.

technician
12-27-2004, 04:19 PM
never sleep.

froyo
12-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Hello. Dormire cuando muera. Which is of course Spanish for 'I'll Sleep When I'm Dead'.

Rail Jon Rogut
12-27-2004, 04:37 PM
My current sessions are from 9pm to 9am.. and often the artist doesn't show up.

Rail

Gkyaun
12-27-2004, 04:40 PM
"never sleep."

what's sleep?

K.B.
12-27-2004, 04:40 PM
Can you remember what daylight looks like?

Bob Legs
12-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Try the new pro tools DigiPill,
learn all software and hardware with a single pill
only $29.95

(actual results may vary)

K.B.
12-27-2004, 04:43 PM
what's sleep?

It's another term for "Stand by" which is accessed from the Start menu. Not recommended for Pro Tools users.

Rail Jon Rogut
12-27-2004, 04:44 PM
That's what they give the soldiers and pilots.

Stay awake pill (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/DrJohnson/story?id=128275&page=1)

Rail

yOkO
12-27-2004, 04:47 PM
and go on tour, and do sessions in the hotel room
with an mbox
compuaddict my mother called it,
i'll just call it music addict.
got to learn from people i admire
from my teenages, like gore , rail, and foremost zappa.
and lots of coffe (that's not an advice nor recomendation)

Gkyaun
12-27-2004, 04:47 PM
what's sleep?

It's another term for "Stand by" which is accessed from the Start menu. Not recommended for Pro Tools users.

im a Mac guy. they told us to disable sleep from the system prefrences, so i thought it ment to disable sleep from the engineer too.....

K.B.
12-27-2004, 04:49 PM
A powerful pill that helps patients feel like they got a good night's sleep, even if they didn't

Boy that sounds like a good idea. Do you suppose certain heads of state have been trialling it? Current world events would seem to suggest so...

K.B.
12-27-2004, 04:53 PM
That's what they give the soldiers and pilots.

You're kidding. I'm never getting in a plane again. "Good morning sir, I haven't slept since last Tuesday week, and I feel just fine. Ha ha."

yOkO
12-27-2004, 04:56 PM
im a Mac guy. they told us to disable sleep from the system prefrences, so i thought it ment to disable sleep from the engineer too.....

[/QUOTE]

da BaSsTaRd!
12-27-2004, 04:57 PM
I'd like an answer soon 'cause I can't do it.

WHAT?! WHO SAID THAT?! WHO'S THE TWINKLE TOED LITTLE PETER PUFFER THAT JUST SIGNED HIS OWN DEATH WARRANT?!?! WHY YOU LITTLE MAGGOT! YOU MAKE ME WANT TO VOMIT!!!

WHAT YOU'RE LACKING IS THE PROPER MOTIVATION! I HAVE TRIED BUT I HAVE FAILED AT MOTIVATING YOU, MAGGOT, AND THEREFORE THE REST OF THE DUC WILL PAY FOR YOUR MISTAKES!! FROM NOW ON, WHENEVER YOU ARE LACKING THE PROPER MOTIVATION TO LEARN A NEW DAW APP, I WILL HELP THE DUC TRAIN YOU!

NOW GET ON YOUR FACES, LADIES, AND START MIXING!!!!!

(in background)
"THIS IS MY DIGI AND THIS IS ABLE-TON! THIS IS FOR MIXING AND THIS IS FOR FUN!"

(back in focus)
THIS IS MY FORUM, LADIES. I WILL TEACH YOU TO BE MIXING MACHINES! BECAUSE I AM HARD YOU WILL NOT LIKE ME, BUT THE MORE YOU HATE ME, THE MORE YOU WILL LEARN!

ps - Phil O'Keefe, if you're watching - this one's for you, pal! Semper Fi! (sorry i didnt' reach out on 11/10/04...)

K.B.
12-27-2004, 05:14 PM
And here, ladies and gentlemen, we have a textbook example of what happens when a subject wholely immerses himself in this 'ProTools Addiction' by going down to his paharmacist and stocking up on Provigil, and then never leaving his bedroom - which he likes to think is some kind of 'recording studio'.

How are you feeling today dB? (he likes to be called that) Are you still mixing those tracks for The Beatles? Yes, of course. I'm sure you'll get it right eventually.

Very sad really...

froyo
12-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Hello. By the way I forgot to add some pointers. Focus is imperative. Of course, that sounds easier said than done when one is talking about going on day by day with little to no sleep, it actually sounds contradictory. However, many people do not realize that focusing one's mind and actions is a habit that can be learned and thus modified. Unless of course one suffers from ADD, but even then one can learn to focus. Focus is the basis of the ultimate goal here, namely productive multitasking. Reading a manual while cooking dinner and formatting a hard drive for example. Focus.

I know when I was in school I did my best work under crazy schedules and deadlines, mostly because I was forced to focus and make the best of what limited time I had.

Be realistic and chill, somewhat. Let time take its course. For example, one can't lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks without doing a radical, unhealthy change that can't be sustained. Rather if one makes gradual, significant, consistent progress one can lose that weight in 6 to 8 weeks, and instill some healthy habits that one can sustain. By the same token, don't expect to learn an SSL's signal flow schematic in one night. It won't happen. If you learn a little bit every day, or every other day, you are way better off.

Healthy eating. I can't stress that enough. I am not one to preach; drink and eat (and inject) whatever you want. If doing a line of Coke makes you happy, it's your life, do whatever you want. But the effects of a healthy diet to a healthy mind can't be minimized. And a healthy mind will be most productive more often than not.

By the way, in my experience a healthy diet means one can eat anything. And I mean anything. Hot dogs, pizza, cheesecake (Homer Simpson drooling...mmmh...cheesecake...aghh..mmm). Everything in moderation however, smaller portions, several meals and snacks throughout the day to accelerate the metabolism. Moderation is key.

Healthy sex life. Get laid. Many, many studies have been done that prove that people who have a healthy (regular, frequent, recurring, choose your descriptive) sex life lead better lives in all other aspects. Just like exercise helps in all other aspects, sex is both exercise for the body and the soul. The big caveat is that for us (single) men, getting laid on a regular basis is definitely easier said than done. All women have to do to get laid is walk up to a guy and ask.

Also, if one is to have sex on a regular basis, a Winona Ryder and Natalie Portman threesome is ideal. (Homer drooling...mmm..Natalie..argh..Winona...mmm)

Caffeine, in small doses in my case. I can't do more than one cup of tea a day, two tops. Otherwise I am way too wired and antsy. Your mileage will definitely vary as to how much caffeeine to consume and how. Keemun black loose tea, from Ten Ren in Chinatown NYC (Homer drooling..mmm...NYC..argh...) is my chosen poison.

Cat naps. This is an absolute must. It's amazing what a 10 minute nap here and there will do.

Of course this all revolves around passion, as I see it. If one has a passion, sleep is not an obstacle. Whether that passion is the redhead that lives down the block, stargazing, underwater basketweaving, or in my case audio (Homer drooling..audio..mmm..arggh..audio...mmm). If there is no passion for what one is looking to achieve, what's the point?

Good luck.

da BaSsTaRd!
12-27-2004, 06:18 PM
How are you feeling today dB? (he likes to be called that) Are you still mixing those tracks for The Beatles? Yes, of course. I'm sure you'll get it right eventually.

Very sad really...

for a movie buff, that one really sailed over your head...

but, either way, as phil and i and many others know, the proper motivation can lead to glorious things.

K.B.
12-27-2004, 06:20 PM
Interesting Froyo.

So it's food, sex, caffeine, cat-naps, and passion. Hmm.

I put that in Google and to my surprise got a page called "What have I done?" which seemed rather pertinent. On the right track here, I thought. So what had he done?

Swam with wild dolphins
Climbed a mountain
Taken a Ferrari for a test drive
Been inside the Great Pyramid
Held a tarantula.
Taken a candlelit bath with someone
Said ˜I love you" and meant it (man, that must've been tough )
Hugged a tree
Done a striptease
Bungee jumped
Visited Paris
Watched a lightning storm at sea
Stayed up all night long, and watch the sun rise
Bought everyone in the pub a drink

What?

Hold on - we stop right there. This is not for me! Behaviour like that is far too extreme. Can we leave something out from your list? Like... like the food maybe? So it then becomes sex, caffeine, cat-naps, and passion? I could make the coffe really strong and keep taking vitamin pills. Would that work?

K.B.
12-27-2004, 06:25 PM
Full Metal Jacket? It was filmed down the road from me.

You missed my movie ref.

da BaSsTaRd!
12-27-2004, 06:28 PM

that must be why Parris Island seemed so inauthentic. i didn't recognize any of the buildings...

Gkyaun
12-27-2004, 06:29 PM

You missed my movie ref.

i caught it.

skyking
12-27-2004, 08:34 PM
kieth dont feel alone it dont take long to leave me in the dust either....some of these guys seem to know everything there is to know about everything and i seem to get to a certain point of understanding the basics and dont advance much from there it seems...just be thankfull they let us hang wit em heh........chas

Keith Owens
12-27-2004, 09:22 PM
Post deleted by Keith Owens

Bob Legs
12-27-2004, 11:03 PM
an old saying but a good one

k.i.s.s = keep it simple stupid !!

disclaimer : does not imply you are stupid

take care

K.B.
12-28-2004, 03:01 AM
We have a radio station called KISS filled with (it seems to me) music for stupid people. Do you think that's why they named it KISS?

Really, I've always been puzzled by this one...

lemix
12-28-2004, 06:49 AM

GUINNESS ! ( like...dohhh )
Skip the friggin Midi !!

Keith Owens
01-01-2005, 12:18 AM

Shan
01-01-2005, 12:40 AM
Ya missed a spot in the middle Keith

Shane

Keith Owens
01-01-2005, 08:40 AM

macr0w
01-01-2005, 06:59 PM
learning midi = alt/r x500

jeffwuollet
01-02-2005, 01:49 AM
Try this stuff:

STOLICHNAYA Okhotnichya
100% Grain Alchohol

The cheapest sleaziest vodka you can get(matter a fact-a swig right now wouldn't hurt)
And like I always say, a sip or two of 151 wouldn't hurt either. Just remember that you're looking to get drunk-not sh*tfaced. BTW: whiskey is for girls.

OT: what do you have in the cabinet in YOUR control room? I have some Bacardi for me and whatever has less than 150 proof is only good for the chicks. I'm thinking of Naming my studio "White Russian Sound". "Fuzzy Navel inc" didn't cut it.

K.B.
01-02-2005, 03:59 AM
Is this forum completely full of alcoholics?

lemix
01-02-2005, 08:30 AM
And just who is asking ??

ptrbas
01-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Okay, how do you guys learn so much info about PC's, Windows, MAC, registry, recording, pro tools, acid, ableton live, reason, 100's of other software, 100's of pieces of hardware, midi, website building, etc., etc., and still able to ;
record, eat, sleep, talk on multiple forums, breathe...

... Righty, to get serious on this: I learned a lot in the last 4 years, coming from being a complete digital nono. I'm still not on the level that others have on this forum but progress has been made. I even dare to write in my not so good English here... This forum BTW had taught me a lot about almost everything you mentioned in your post.

I agree with Froyo that you have to focus, so much toys to play with but you can't play with them all at once. Give yourself time for this learning curve, don't get overwhelmed by all the possibilies, filter out information that you don't need at this moment and last but not least.. start doing it. If you want to learn about recording a acoustic guitar, start doing it, ask questions, absorb information about how to do it but you learn the best by just doing it. Same thing with building a website, a killer Allenstein machine, find your way in Reason, mixing a song.

I hope I'm not patronising here.

Although I've never touched a MAC in my life, I think this machine won't give me a hard time. If you are used to drive a Ferrari, a Beetle won't be that hard to get around with. Right??? ...sorry about that...

Pieter

Keith Owens
01-02-2005, 11:17 AM

superpenguin79
01-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Hey Keith,

I will reply to your question in a serious reply and then get crazy like the rest of them. The way to learn a lot of stuff is by experiencing it first hand, going to school, or just simply reading up on it. I have been doing computers myself for 12 years now and still don't know it all, but by reading every cool article I can get my hands on, always having an open mind about how things work and an avid curiousity about technology in general, I am now looked up to as this "tech guru" that can supposedly fix almost anyones computer issues..etc..

For audio, I just started really getting into the studio stuff about a year ago truthfully, but there again, reading, talking to previous people that I know that own studios from when I played in bands and was on labels...etc.. Just going for broke on anything I can get my hands on.

Also for the technology stuff, I work tech support for a large ISP which kind of gives me an advantage to whats new in the industry right now to a degree also. If you are really looking to find out more about stuff, there is a cool site at: howstuffworks.com that will help you out a little also in your quest. Goodluck

now...... onto the DUC bar and grill

Charlie

jeffwuollet
01-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Is this forum completely full of alcoholics?

It's like asking: Did Alcoholic Engineers make musicians sound crappy? Or did crappy musicians make engineers alcoholics?

Whenever you can't get a backing vocalist to sound reasonably in tune, just turn to the drink ...