PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Oktava MK012 MSP microphones??

seagull
12-26-2004, 07:18 PM
I've been researching a matched stereo pair of microphones for a while (I mainly record acoustic guitars through my 002r) and have decided on the Oktava mk012's. From what I can tell I shouldn't buy them from Guitar Center because they appear to have the least amount of quality control. My other options are sound-room.com and recordingservices.net. The range of prices is significant. Guitar Center wants $250 + tax, Recording Services wants $300 + $18 shipping and Sound Room wants $426. All for the same matched pair of cartoid MK012's. Where did you buy yours or where would you recommend?? Does anyone know why Sound Room would want $100+ more?? I guess my main concern is quality control because I have read that the Oktava's are known for poor quality control between microphones. Thanks for the advice.

Chris Cavell
12-26-2004, 07:37 PM
If seeking a true matched set, soundroom is the way to go. Oktava doesn't really match them...the guy at soundroom does it manually in house with your standard test equipment. He also personally tests each and every mic that comes through. His primary business is the sale of russian mics, so he doesn't have the turn-around cashflow from other items (like picks, strings, and drumsticks) to keep his business afloat. These are just some of the reasons his prices are higher...and they're darn good reasons if you ask me.

GC has taken to making very small quantity orders as of late, then advertising them as on sale (even when they're not in stock) at rates that are barely above cost for them, and pitching you alternatives in that same price range that illicit higher profits...very similar to a bait and switch. They do not sell true matched sets...just two for one deals, and do not test the mics before selling them to you (which really should be done with some mic models including oktava), and then reserve the right to give you a serious headache if you wished to return one that turns out faulty...stating hygenic reasons.

The fella running the soundroom is cool, he backs up his sales and will replace any faulty unit that slips through the cracks; no questions asked.

I haven't used recordingservices.net, so I can't really comment on them.

seagull
12-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the reply. The information you gave is very helpful. I think I'll order them from sound-room then. Have a happy new year.

joetracker
12-27-2004, 03:25 PM
I'm just curious, What are you recording with these mikes?

seagull
12-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Acoustic guitars (my main guitar is a Seagull). I already have a Rode NTK that sounds pretty decent (I mainly use it for vocals), but since I primarily do acoustic music and I want to work on my recording skills I thought a matched stereo pair would compliment the NTK pretty well. The Oktava mics come pretty highly recommended here on the DUC so I thought that was the way to go. There are some songs on our website (sorry they are wave files) that are really old. Actually the whole website is horribly outdated!!

Chris Cavell
12-27-2004, 07:45 PM
Joe,

I've used them on everything from drum overheads, to piano, to cello, to acoustic guitar...and on and on...I'd use them on just about anything you'd consider using a neumann km84 or 184 for.

PhiDelta308
12-27-2004, 09:48 PM
I got a matched set from GC. It was an actual matched set, came two to a box with separate response charts for each one (matched to each serial number). They work great. I then ordered a set of omni capsules from soundroom, and was extremely satisfied with the product and the service. Buying them from GC is a total crapshoot, I got lucky. If you have the extra cash from the start, I'd recommend buying them from sound room, as the peace of mind you'll get is worth the extra money (I just didn't have extra cash at the time and needed the mics).

-Chris

seagull
12-28-2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the info. I have decided to go through soundroom for the Oktava's. I'll be ordering them with some extra christmas cash so I'm willing to shell out the extra cash to make sure I get a quality matched pair.
Thanks for everyones help.