PDA

View Full Version : OT LCD monitors

paul m
12-26-2004, 04:35 PM
Hello duc people

Bit off topic … but ho hum

I have a very sexy 17’’ Philips LCD monitor that has been is storage for the last 6 months (my mums garage… which is nice and dry, if a little below average room temp) it was boxed in the packaging that it came in.

It worked perfectly before.. but it seems that now it switches on during boot up but quickly goes very dim (almost black)

If I switch the monitor off and on it does the same thing again.. normal.. then almost black.

Any ideas?? I have done all the obvious .. different VGA, IEC, plug socket etc..

Thanks and MERRY XMAS!!

Paul.

Bob Legs
12-27-2004, 04:24 PM
I have the same drama occasionally.. its almost always the vga card
try boot with it not attached, then shut down, then plug in then boot.
failing that try a different video card, or you could take your video card out of the slot, and put it back in again, with the power off, motherboard disconnected, and battery taken out.

good luck

paul m
12-28-2004, 03:38 PM
thanks mr. legs...

i will give your ideas a go. not just now mind you because 'for a few dollars more' has just come on the tv. u gotta love clint.

cheers!!

paul.

paul m
12-28-2004, 03:43 PM
hmm not sure its the vga card as i just tried my CRT monitor and it works fine..... strange.

p.

Bob Legs
12-29-2004, 01:30 AM
sounds like a compatability bug, you should get some updated drivers for ur card.
and see if theres a driver for the monitor as well, most are just colour profiles but its worth a shot.
failing that try starting in safe mode (I think you hold down F8 in boot for this), let it find the hardware then reboot.

if anyone else knows please chime in

paul m
12-29-2004, 10:28 AM
thanks bob.. i feel i can call you bob now.. not mr legs

yes .. please jump in anybody else!

just a bit more detail about my system

I dont have a video card.. just using the onboard graphics. the mobo is made by gigabyte (i forget the exact make.. but it has an sis chip set).

interesting that when the LCD last worked my pc was running win98 .. i have since updated my os to xp (after getting the 002) and now it does not work.

i will buy a video card tomorrow and see what happens.

paul.

JMS40
12-29-2004, 11:50 AM
Try rolling back your display driver to an older one.

I recently upgraded my wife's computer to SP2.
Included in the autodownload was an updated graphics driver.
On boot, the LCD was dead.
After a little research, I found the driver to be "correct" for the model... it just wouldn't work.
The solution was to " F8 " on boot, and choose VGA Mode, which allowed the monitor to function in XP.
Then, in Device Manager, I was able to choose the older Display driver which solved the problem.

If you did a fresh install of XP after 98, and there is no
older driver to choose from, try going to driverguide.com or the motherboard manufacturer
and search for an older driver for your particular display chip.

Good luck-

paul m
12-29-2004, 12:36 PM
ok will have a go at that... thanks JMS40

just took the tft round to a friends house to try it on his pc... same problem. his pc is on xp as well. will try to find an older driver ... or failing that i will have to accept its BROKEN and get it fixed.

will let you know what happens...

paul.