PDA

View Full Version : LE 6.7 Major Crash

rsvpmus
12-26-2004, 12:09 AM
I installed 6.7 and experienced a MAJOR CRASH! I followed the instructions exactly. When I restarted, I noticed that instead of the the normal "saving your settings, Windows is shutting down" screen, there was now a window on the desktop showing the same message. After that the system would never restart, not even in Safe Mode. It would get to the Windows XP screen and then blue screen. (c000021a - fatal system error.) I had to use the Automated System Recovery which reformats the hardrive and re-installs the system from a backup. Anybody out there have any ideas? I really want to get going on 6.7 but don't want to risk going through this again. My setup:

MBox
P4 2.3
1G Ram
Matrox G550 graphics
Win XP SP2

albee1952
12-26-2004, 07:47 AM
OUCH!! I feel you pain. Was your first install on a 6.4 setup where you uninstalled 6.4 before installing 6.7? Or was it a fresh install to a new drive? How old is the hard drive? If its a few years old, maybe its a warning of iminent failure. This is why I always do my upgrades in a leapfrog fashion using 2 drives. That way, if my upgrade fails, I slap in the old drive and get back to work. After an upgrade works fine for a month or so, I ghost the entire drive to the backup drive. It sounds like a lot of work but it really is cheap insurance if you have paying projects. Grab a spare 40-80 gig drive (Tiger Direct has a Maxstor for $39.99 after rebate this week only)

rsvpmus
12-27-2004, 07:16 AM
Actually my drive is 2 weeks old. In fact, I still have my old drive intact and if ASR wouldn't of worked, that was my safety net. I like your idea however about alternating drives. Regarding 6.7, I was upgrading from 6.4. Yes, I unistalled 6.4 before installing 6.7.